Osaka Marriott Miyako Hotel
US$131
US$104
JAPANiCAN.com
  • Restaurant
RIHGA Royal Hotel Osaka(Osaka)
US$177
US$160
US$124
Official Website
1,626 results
All reviewstallest buildingtennoji stationobservation deckfloor to ceiling windowsabeno harukaskintetsu department storefree ticketsthe club loungecorner roomkansai airporthotel occupiesshopping mallnight viewamazing hotelnespresso machinemodern hotelgold member
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It was difficult for me to find this hotel. There are a few small signs from the station, but I soon got "lost" and had to ask directions. It was a little frustrating, since I was tired from traveling. I thought it would have been nice if there had been larger or more frequent signs. Even as I got off the elevator on the 19th floor, there was not a sign (or staff member) to let me know I was in the right place.

It is actually a pretty direct route from the station, follow the signs to the subway, go down one flight (to go under and thereby across the street) and get the elevator to the 19th floor.

I had anticipated better service at check in. At a hotel of this level, it is usual for a staff member to greet and even take the luggage and walk a guest toward the check-in area. There was no one to greet me. It was a little busy, so I had to wait for check-in, which was fine, but again, I was not acknowledged at all. I missed that nice feeling of being welcomed which is so common in Japan, and particularly at a hotel of this level.

At check-in, I was told I had been upgraded due to "Gold" level membership with Marriot, and that they had "prepared some gifts in my room". When I got to the room, I did not find any "gifts", but as I had not expected any prior to being told that at check-in, I did not worry about it.

The room itself was wonderful. Fantastic view of the city, floor to ceiling windows, separate toilet and bath tub and shower (which I personally prefer). Comfortable and relaxing. The Thann products in the bathroom were quiet nice for me. I had never used that brand before, but they suited me.

The membership lounge was very nice, and the staff there very attentive but not intrusive. It was a large area, with different lighting in different areas. I thought that was nice, as you could find a romantic spot, or a brighter, more business-like atmosphere. The design of the lounge felt particularly masculine to me, and this carried over into the hallways of the hotel and the room itself (I was on the top floor). I was not sure if there was a separate check in for "elite" status members, but it appeared so. I am new to "Gold" status, so I do not know how this would be known.

A ticket to the observatory at the top of the building was included (I think this is for all guests, but I am not sure). I am glad I got up early enough for it (the free pass for hotel guests is valid before regular opening hours).

Overall, I really liked this hotel. Now that I know how to find it, I would definitely stay again. I hope that by the next time I do, check-in service has improved. It could have just been that day and time that I checked in.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Zipzoe
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was my first time in this new Hotel on my extesive business travels worldwide. I was very impressed with the layout of the rooms and especially with the use of sliding doors as tey make a lot of sense. On the negative site, the front entrance of the street is not easy to find as you expect a large visiable entrance. My room was on the 52nd floor and the view is outstanding, I stay in a lot of Hotels worldwide and this would have to be the best I have ever experienced. The rooms are a good size and decorated in a modern style with your own nespresso coffe machine.
Overall a great Hotel to stay.

Room Tip: Book rooms above 50th floor for fantastic views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at the Marriott Miyako for 4 nights in the beginning of July. As a lot of reviewers have mentioned, it boosts an incredible view of Osaka area (which you come to expect being on top of the tallest building in Japan!)

The room was in decent size, maybe quite large in general Japanese hotel room standard. Going to bed and waking up looking out to the Osaka skyline through the huge floor-to-ceiling windows was a breathtaking experience. The room was also fitted with modern days amenities with Espresso machine and well stocked mini-bar. The bathroom was huge (the toilet is at the other side of the room with a tiny washing basin); and oh, I could use the shower everyday being the best I have ever used. It also came with a bathtub with automatic on/off water filling so you don't have to keep checking on it or worry about spilling over. The toiletries were great compliment with products from Thann and have everything you would need (the traditional Japanese bath salt was a nice touch). Mind you, all these are from the perspective stayed on just the regular floor room.

The location is great on top of Tennoji Station, one of the major transportation hubs in Osaka. You can easily access to railway system (JR & Subway) to/from Namba, Shinsaibashi, Umeda etc. The airport express train (Hakura) stops right at Tennoji Station and there are bus going to Kansai as well. There are lots of shops and restaurants (some open till quite late) around which one could easily spend a whole day; convenient store just across the street. It is also close to a zoo & park if you are interested.

Haven't tried any of the outlets so could not comment on that. However, did try room service one day for breakfast and is decent (the portion a bit small given the price for American Breakfast set is just about the same as the buffet downstairs - well, maybe bit picky as it is in-room dining after-all)

As quite a few other reviewers have mentioned, the service is what dropping the ball here.
I arrived by car and met with a staff at the parking level (apparently a staff was stationed there); however, despite I told the staff that I was checking-in, no one ever approached us with the luggage or simply offer the help (the staff was just standing there and stare) and we just went into the elevators ourselves not even showing the courtesy that we are going to 19/F to check-in.
The check-in was smooth & efficient though and we were escorted to the room by a friendly staff. However, asked the check-in staff for places to eat (late around 11:30 already) , and was told he was not sure but did show us a area downstairs to check out ourselves (which we knew there were sake pub as we drove by earlier).
Throughout the stay we came across a lot of staffs at the lobby but it seemed that they just stood there in groups. Some may occasionally nod and smile but in general it lacked the kind of warmth, sincere, and attentive service that one get used to in Japan.
On the last night, gave a call to front desk and asked for later check-out time as I was not feeling well. It took the staff some time, presumably asking the superior, and was replied that I have to pay extra for late check-out. I did not take the offer but I have no problem with the extra charge and understand the hotel is busy; however, I was surprised by the cold attitude and would appreciate at least a courtesy to ask if I was feeling okay, if doctor is needed, get well soon etc......none.
Upon check-out, asked one of the bell staffs for JR direction and was simply told to take the elevator to go downstairs. I felt like I was bothering him; for comparison, we stayed at a luxury hotel near Tokyo station last year and were escorted all the way to the track (yes, inside the station) by TWO staffs simply because they worried we may not catch the train in time as Tokyo station was like a maze. That, I called impressive service.

I have stayed in quite a few hotels in Japan, some of the them as well the top luxury hotels, the service experience in Marriott Miyako is simply not up to the game for a hotel in this caliber. It desperately lacks of the warmth and personalized hospitality that come so famous in Japanese culture. Marriott Miyako is blessed with excellent hardware & location, there are so much potential for growth and hope that things can be sort out for it to truly become the shining gem.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gaddelyz
Reviewed 7 July 2014

First of all I'd like to mention how much I love Osaka. It's an incredible place and highly recommended. Usually stayed at the Cross Hotel, but this time it was fully booked. Got a fantastic last minute deal through Rakuten, we paid less than 20k yen for our huge double room on floor 50. The views were incredible, even better than the Westin in Sendai. Nothing bad to say, bathroom was great, it was a Japanese/Western Hybrid. The bed and TV were fantastic aswell, both huge. Loved Tenno-ji itself, what they did around there is incredible, so many food options, a mall, great connections, just everything! But there are 2 things I did not like; first of all the entrance is incredibly hidden for such a huge place. There are signs in the station...but if you are not in the station itself or if it is closed it is quite tough. And secondly there are only 2 elevators which bring you to level 19 where you have to change elevators. Sometimes had to wait 5 minutes for an elevator, which is too long. Other than that it was perfect. Will gladly stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xerobasher
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Reasonable price for great view, great facilities and location. Staffs are friendly. Defiantly recommend!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends