“Perfect location, nice hotel, really helpful staff”
Review of Kaneyoshi Ryokan

Kaneyoshi Ryokan
Ranked #84 of 353 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 3 October 2013

In the perfect place if you want to see the lively evening/nightlife of Osaka. Right next to streets packed with restaurants, video games places, shops, and the occasional cat cafe. We loved this area and staying here. The rooms were comfy although we struggled a bit with the mats on the floor so i'm glad we didn't book Ryokan for our whole trip! great to have some space to sit and watch the city at night, and the staff were so friendly and helpful, i would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Hotel is located in a good location with Dotonbori is next street to the hotel for a choice of more than 100 restaurants and shopping area of Shinsaibashi is walking distance as well.

Hotel has a traditional bath and other things to try.

There is a canal right behind the hotel and they do have boat cruise on them in the night and many restaurants along the canal as well.

It is a bit over priced but pretty much most of the Ryokans are...So okay to try this place for a night - sleeping on a thin mattress and sitting on floor Japanese style.. then go to a regular hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Siva_Brabaakaran
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

we had difficulty securing osaka accommodation so took this at last minute; the most expensive ryokan we've stayed in so far.

it has a lot going for it, namely its' proximity to namba, but sadly the place reeks of smoke.

the bedroom is huge, has a separate little veranda overlooking the river & a decent en suite. the staff are friendly too.

by the time we woke up in the morning the smell of smoke was so strong.

if you're a smoker or don't mind the smell this place is fine, if not a little overpriced.

if like me, you are sensitive to smells, then find an alternative.

• Stayed: July 2013
8  Thank noodleberryfin
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I stayed at this Ryokan with my husband and 2 friends (also a couple) for a night in May. The staff were so, so friendly and helpful. They even confirmed all of our other accommodation we had booked in Japan for us and printed out train times etc.

This Ryokan is in a great area - perfect for exploring the City (especially at night). All of us shared one room and had a great nights sleep in a traditional Japanese-style room. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trav3773r1984
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I decided to stay in the Namba area after reading reviews on trip advisor. I wanted to stay in a Ryokan so I decided on Kaneyoshi Ryokan and I am glad I did, I had a very good experience here. The hotel gave very good instructions on how to get to the Ryokan – as I was travelling solo and arriving into Osaka rather late in the evening, I was a little worried about getting lost – as I have done in the past when travelling with someone up in Hokkaido, and we walked around aimlessly for about an hour, hauling heavy bags because people, rather than tell us they do not know, pointed us in the wrong direction repeatedly!

No such problems with Kaneyoshi Ryokan, they gave very good directions, from what line to catch from the airport to which exit to get off. From Kansai Airport, get the Kansai line, get off at Namba, then change lines (to the pink line, which is called Sennichimae) and get off at Nippombashi (there are variations of the spelling, I have seen it spelled Nipponbashi too). These were the instructions I was given, but you could get off at Namba and walk over to Nippombashi via their connecting shopping walkway. Not advised if you’re hauling a lot of luggage and at peak shopping times though.

When you get to Nipponbashi, exit I think it is exit 2 (sorry if this is not right but I've tried to review this place soon after staying before I forget everything because I've been moving about lot in Japan! In any event, just to be sure, as the attendants at the gate which exit for Dontombori.

Once you're out of the station, heading right, walk down the road, on your side of the road you will see a big moving crab, if you see this, you’re going the right way! Keep going along this road until you reach the river which has a bridge over it. Once you reach the end of this road after the river/bridge, turn left. The ryokan is just a few steps down on your left.

Check in went fine, I did arrive late in the evening – about 9.30pm. The attendant was super helpful and friendly. I asked him about the curfew (which is 10pm) and since he saw my getting in late, I think he said curfew was at 11pm. Either way it was appreciated as it gave me time to get something to eat! The attendant asked what my plans where in Osaka and I told him I was headed to Kyoto the next day, so when I came back the Ryokan having just eaten, the attendant gave me a sheet with a map and information about the costs and which platform to get the train to Kyoto! I thought this was awesome!

The Ryokan provides you with free wifi in your rooms, not sure about the reception area, as I didn’t use it there, but I have found some places in Japan only offer it in the reception area, which is rather annoying. As a solo traveller, I found the room to be really spacious, you get amenities in the room – iced water and hot water in a canister along with Japanese tea sachets. You even get a little balcony where you can sit and there is a view of the river.

Initially, I booked a capsule hotel upon my return trip to Osaka, because I was on a budget, but I wanted to stay in a proper Ryokan first time round (hence, why I choose Kaneyoshi in the first place). Looking back, I should have stayed here again for my trip back. Although, it is kind of pricey for a solo traveller, the attendant was lovely and the place is in the centre of Dontombori.
I would definitely stay here again and recommend it.

Only gripe was the pillow, way too hard for me! :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Zeva2010
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We booked my family to stay here for 4 nights. We chose the hotel as the location is very convenient, and we thought a Ryokan experience would nicer than a standard hotel for people new to Japan. Staff spoke good English and the ladies who took bags to room were very friendly and helpful. The night manager on check was extremely rude, at one point explaining to us 'that's the problem with foreigners'. I was shocked as I have never experienced such a comment from a service position. I will not be recommending this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank happy_trav7
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Hotel manager friendly, knowledgeable and knows his customers. Made us feel very welcomed and even gave us goodbye gifts. Room big enough for our family of 3 - child is 12 y.o. Housekeeping staff comes in to make our futon beds each night when are out. Very comfortable but pillows are bit hard. Beads on one side and normal the other. The location felt safe for our son to walk to 7/11 store on his own and walk back to the hotel on his own from the subway station - Nippombashi station. Plenty of good places to eat. A bit of a seedy night area but we felt pretty safe.

Room Tip: Request for river facing room and high up so you dont hear any late revellers going home in the midd...