“Great value, tiny rooms”
Review of Hotel Taiyo

Hotel Taiyo
Ranked #159 of 339 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I've stayed in budget hotels in Tokyo that were triple the cost of this place, so I was quite skeptical when I decided to book it worrying that I cheaped out too much. I can't stand hostels, shared/noisy accommodations and not having my own toilet/shower is not for me. This place does have shared restrooms and showers but the price was so low I thought I would try it anyway, I could always change my hotel if I didn't like it and was only losing out on about $20/day so it wasn't a big deal. The staff were very friendly, to the point that you can just show up having done no planning or research and they can send you on your way to to the top destinations in Osaka as well as to nearby Kyoto, Nara, and Kobe. The area is a bit rough by Japanese standards but it's right next to two train stations that are very well connected and can get you pretty much anywhere, even to the airport without connecting. I did have to make a connection to get to Kyoto for a day trip but getting to Nara was a piece of cake. It's also just a 25 minute walk from the Namba area which is hands down the best area of the city by day or night. The stroll also takes you through Den Den town which is a very tame version of Akihabara but still full of interesting things to see. If you don't mind going for a walk or jumping on the subway the location is just fine if you're looking to save some money, it's by far and away the cheapest option without staying at a dreadful hostel... You will even meet other travelers in the lobby which can be helpful to find a drinking buddy (I was fortunate enough to meet some locals my first night out who helped show me around and take me to some amazing bars). The room was tiny, the wifi wasn't great (signal was weak at times and slow), the pillow was awful but it had a fridge and the AC worked great. The small room motivated me to get out and explore when I otherwise would have hung out in my hotel room much longer (thanks to my excessive drinking) if it were nicer, so that was the one positive aspect for the small, uncomfortable room.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Johnathan H

Reviewed 25 July 2013

The hotel is well-located, near both a metro line and the JR train line. The metro station is a few stations away from OSaka and Shin Osaka stations. The JR station is on the Nara and Horyu-Ji line.
The rooms are simple, small and smelly (tatami?) - you get what you pay for. You sleep on futons with bean-filled pillows. Towels and pajamas (yukata) are provided. Rooms are not made every day.
Bathrooms are clean (and cleaner than the rooms) but located only on 2 floors out of 9 - you may have to wait to take your shower.
Reception is staffed 24/7 and staff was friendly and could speak english.
There is also an onsen (spa) in the hotel but we did not use it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yvan P
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This was the second place in Osaka that my friend and I stayed. It was very cheap, and for a good reason. This is not a hotel, but a hostel. That being said, I felt safe and comfortable. The staff were very nice and helpful. The neighbourhood is quite poor and we were told that it can be dangerous at night. Near by there is a very cheap and good supermarket where we picked up dinner and breakfast (stored some in our room's fridge) and stayed in. The air conditioning was AMAZING! Did not need to open the windows. You do have to leave your room for the bathroom and shower, but there are floors fro women only. If you need a very cheap place to stay the night, it is very good. Would not recommend for families, however.

Room Tip: The top floor is for women only, for extra safety.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Girl2764
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Was a tad hard to get to but then again I was very tired from no sleep and lots of flying. The room staff were very helpful and polite. The rooms are small but this is to be expected. Plus I am not on holidays to sleep all the time so it was perfect to just place my bag and just rest and then go and explore.

Bathroom and toilet facilities are very well maintained and very clean. I enjoyed staying here as its in a very good location and i can easily get to the sights of interest like Osaka Castle.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 June 2013

This hotel has the cheapest rate from all the hotels we stayed in during our trip to japan with the price goes half less than the average business hotel in tokyo. I stayed in a single room with a western single bed while my two other sisters stayed in a tatami mat room with futons for 2. The room i stayed in has a tv, air con and a cupboard so it's pretty basic but overall clean with clean sheet and blanket, and they provide a traditional robe (like a yukata) for you to go change and like every hotels in japan this room is also quite small but it's not really a problem.
The hotel itself is looking quite old and i have to admit that the corridor at the 7th floor is quite spooky at night. Every floor has a toilet but it wasn't so clean during our visit but mainly it was because of other guests were not very hygienic. They have 2 private shower rooms at the ground floor which thankfully being kept clean and open for 24 hours but it is quite crowded in the morning. They also have a public bath that open from 6-9 pm for male guests and 9-12 pm for the ladies if you want to try out the japanese bath style.
The staff like everybody said are fluent in english and very friendly. The location is conveniently close to the subway station (just outside the hotel entrance) and about 5 mins walk from the nearest JR station shin imamiya. The area was filled with homeless people and i was told by the front desk that it was better to come back before midnight but i think it's still safe to get out around that time, just be careful.
For budget hotel with basic facilities i'd say taiyo hotel is great choice for budget travellers.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I think the price is pretty cheap and they offers wifi and everything you might need. And also, it's next to the subway station with a walking distance to shopping area.I highly recommend it for budget travellers. Even the room is a little small, but the staff there are so helpful!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank euromun
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We took this old hotel for two nights. It was the cheapest hotel we had during our stay in Japan. Small Japanese style room was a little stinky (weird smell, not super bad but kind of strange), very noticeable after coming into. Room very basic. If you don't need much then it's ok. We slept with an open window so we had few very annoying mosquitos. I was bitten milion times, so didn't have the proper sleep! Shared showers on the ground floor are not that bad but not super clean, the same was with toilets. Neibourhood looked like a ghetto. A lot of homeless people/locals spinning arround on the streets during the night time. Even though we felt safe. Location: half way of Osaka Loop Line from Osaka Station (take stop: Shin-Immamiya).

Room Tip: The smelly one was 611, so maybe try to avoid it
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple