“Bigger than expected...”

Ranked #58 of 300 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Brisbane
“Bigger than expected...”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We found this hotel to be very reasonably priced and larger than we had expected, knowing how compact Japanese accommodation can be. The beds were a little too firm for my liking but my husband loved it, so it's just personal preference. The location was ideal also - a 5 minute walk to Osaka Castle and a 1 minute walk to a 7-11 and a subway. We'd stay there again no problem

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andarah24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed 28 March 2013 via mobile

We had other accommodation booked that fell through 2 weeks prior to our arrival on a very busy weekend in Osaka. The Hotel Lutheran was the only hotel I could find at a reasonable price that I could get 3 nonsmoking rooms at. I usually prefer to stay closer to the action and prior to arriving I was disappointed that I wasn't staying near Namba/Shinshibasi area as previously planned. However the location turned out to be absolutely fine and only a few stops on the metro from Namba or Umeda. The hotel being only 5 min from the castle grounds was nice location for a morning walk/jog. There are also quite a few restaurants around the hotel and we ate in 2 of them during our stay and both were good.
I didn't have any issues with the Internet while I was at the hotel as suggested by the previous poster.
Overall a reasonable hotel and I would probably stay again in future.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Monrovia, California
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times, but not in the last few years (I marked a stay as 04/2012, but in fact, my last stay was 2010 or 2011). The location near Osaka-jo is great, their breakfast buffet is wonderful, access to the subway very good, and most importantly for me, this hotel was recommended by my Japanese business colleagues (since the location was convenient to their office). From 2005 to 2009 it was a great hotel, then, something went strange with the internet. I have found it impossible to stay connected with my VPN for longer than a few minutes. My IT guy monitored it during one visit, and said that it appeared the hotel was changing their IP address every minute or so, which is not compatible with a VPN connection. Maybe they have the problem sorted out, but starting about 2010, I went elsewhere. I travel a lot for business and depend on my VPN connection, this hotel offered the strangest experience that I ever had.

My Japanese colleagues spoke with the management about the issue, but they hire our their IT services and couldn't really help.

Again, with the exception of the internet and my companies VPN (it actually had the same problems for the VPN of two different companies), I recommend this hotel. However, if you are a business traveller that depends on the VPN connection, you may have troubles.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank David H
Tottori, Japan
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We visited Osaka for a friend's wedding, so we picked the hotel because it was very close to the place that the wedding was held. The room was clean and quite big as we reserved the twin room, because they did not have baby cot to provide us. In total it was a nice and clean hotel as most of the Japanese hotels. The breakfast buffet was tasty, but not something extremely special. The area where the hotel is located is very convenient as there is a convenience store very very close and a subway station. In summary it was a pleasant stay

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 October 2011

hotel the lutheran is located in the business district of osaka. during the day, there's plenty of hustle and bustle but come night, it's pretty quiet. however, as other reviewers have mentioned, if you don't mind the subway ride (or even the walk for you more adventurous types), this hotel is right on the money. i stayed at another, more central hotel (see my review of Via Inn) and hotel lutheran offers PLENTY of room compared to Via Inn. Internet access is readily available but be sure to bring your own cord. Note to Wi-fi freaks, it is not available on any room floors. Wifi is only available in the lobby and be sure to ask for the password from the front desk.

rooms are clean and, as mentioned, quite spacious. a hearty breakfast is served every morning. one may select from a western breakfast such as scrambled eggs, bacon and croissant. there's also miso soup, rice and assorted japanese foods available too. the staff speaks basic english but they are quite attentive.

it may be worth to know that osaka temple park is located only five minutes away by walk. if you stay at this hotel, get to the park early for a brisk walk. there are plenty of tour groups that meander around this park in the afternoon.

Room Tip: opt for rooms with street views. otherwise, if you get the back rooms, your only view is that of ano...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 1 January 2011

If you don't mind travelling a bit on the subway (about 5 stops away) to get to the happening districts, i.e. Namba and Umeda, this hotel is value for money.

We had a semi-double room but were given a smoking room as all other non-smoking ones were unavailable at the time when we checked in. Although the tobacco smell was overpowering in the room, the air-freshener (or was it the deodorant?) helped somewhat. We opened the window to air the room as well. Good thing that we only stayed in the hotel for one night.

One outstanding feature of this hotel was the laptop provided in the room. It comes with free internet access. Bed was comfortable and bathroom mirror did not fog up after showering. We wished that the toilet seat had a heater as we were there in winter.

The hotel is within 5-10 minutes walking to the Osaka Castle. Worth a visit if the castle is not closed to the public.

Oh ya, it was rather difficult to book a room from this hotel online as the hotel website is in Japanese. It took me a while to search but I found an English affiliated website which allowed me to make a reservation. Here it is: http://www.granvista.co.jp/english/list/lutheran.html . Just click on the red 'Reservation' button on the top right-hand corner to start the booking procedure. :)

Last but not least, the hotel staff were indeed friendly and helpful :)

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank delonix_regia
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I stayed there for one night only. This seemed like the best place I could get for value during the busy time of sakura and it delivered on every aspects. The hotel was quiet, clean, the rooms were nice. Nothing special stands out particularly. The English spoken at this hotel is basic at best - I had to change my reservation by phone and it was tedious but we got through. I had tried to write them half a dozen time before to arrange the matter and got no answers whatsoever - quite frustrating.

This hotel is next to Osaka castle park. It made for a very pretty late afternoon walk, but we were too late to visit the castle.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family