“Fabulous Location, Terrible Hotel”
Review of Cross Hotel Osaka

Cross Hotel Osaka
Ranked #10 of 316 Hotels / Ryokan in Osaka
Manila, Philippines
“Fabulous Location, Terrible Hotel”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have stayed at so many hotels in Japan and I must say, this hotel stands out location wise. However, this is not a hotel I would ever go back to nor would recommend. The location is the only thing going for this place.

Stayed at the St Regis (a bit of a walk to the main attractions) for several days and decided to extend our stay. Cross Hotel was one of the few hotels that still had rooms so decided to move. Having read good reviews, we decided to go for it.

In Japan, service has always been above average to excellent. Never been disappointed. However, the minute I walked in Cross Hotel, I had a feeling of regret. It was dark and had a not so pleasant smell. But, I wanted to give this hotel a chance. Got a western front desk person who seemed to be having a very bad day. Missing was the warmth of Japanese hospitality. She will give Japanese hospitality a bad name. I just held my tongue and let her check us in. After, the hotel manager greeted us and helped us with the check in process. This manager embodied the epitome of Japanese graciousness. But it all goes downhill from here.

The room- it has seen better days. Mind you, this hotel does not come cheap. The room looked more like a rundown motel room than the upscale boutique hotel they claim to be. Very far from the website photos. Not even close. The walls have probably not been cleaned in a decade. Every wall had black skid marks from top to bottom. Looked really dirty and dingy. The carpet, there must be stuff growing on it already. And the smell ? It was like there was a dead rat living with us. And to top it all of, I mentioned at the front desk to the western girl that checked us in that I have really bad allergies to smoke and mildew. Of course, she ignored this request and gave us a smoking floor room. The strange part is, they had rooms available in the non-smoking room . But she insisted there were none. I was doubtful so I checked availabilities on line, and of course, they did have rooms available still on the non-smoking floors.

They provide one tiny pillow that is more like a sand bag . Really uncomfortable, stiff and woke up after the first night with a sore neck and an ache in my upper shoulders. I tried to have it change. But I just got another negative response.

The bathroom- a very good size bathroom and great power shower. But the walls had weird dark yellow stains and the stool provided had yellow stains on it too

And now , I am going home from Osaka with a sore neck plus a terrible case of cough and congested sinuses brought about by the smoke on the floor. For the first time since I have been coming to Japan, I am leaving disappointed and with bad memories.

The sad part is, when I did mention to the manager what happened , I just got a stoic blank stare and bowing of head. It’s like everything I said fell on deaf ears.

Room Tip: Dont stay at this hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank stspostcards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Yokohama, Japan
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I have stayed in several hotels all around Japan. Some of them have great location with small rooms and vice versa. Cross had the unique combination of amazing location and comfort. The rooms are surprisingly spacious and geared towards comfort. The bathrooms also are spacious and the toilets come with english translation. The location cannot be beat. You are next door to the odontobori area. It has a multitude of restaurants and shops. The key is to book early in order to find great deals.

Room Tip: book early and ensure non-smoking
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank torrag21
Alicante, Spain
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for most my stay in Osaka, the staff are helpful, friendly and speak good English.
For me these are very important when I stay in a hotel, also the wifi is is fast and consistent, so recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Osaka.
The location is great with plenty of restaurants, bars and shops nearby!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Joewe66
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

Amazing location, right in the centre of all the shops, bars and restaurants. And just a 10 minute walk to as aka castle- which is a must if the weather is nice.
Rooms were a decent size for japan and very comfortable. For the price this is an excellent option when in Osaka.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kpink2
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We stayed in Cross hotel for 6 days and 5 nights and i must say that I had a good exprience in this hotel. First, its located at middle of Midosuji Avenue, near at the 2 train stations (Namba and Shinsaibashi). However it you will just allot a time to walk about 5-10 minutes to reach the Namba station, though you wouldn’t mind to walk because the vicinity of the hotel is already a sight seeing. It is also near at the Dotonbori river and located at the back of the 600m shopping arcade (special mention: H&M and Forever 21)

The rooms are also clean and comfy. Although it’s a little bit smaller than other standard hotel rooms. The bed is really big for 2 adults however the pillows are not soft.

Their bathrooms are superb.All the toiletries are complete. They have big bottles of shampoo,conditioner and face soap. They also have chair, basin and blower on the powder area.

Overall, i want to give 4 out of 5 in this hotel. I was really satisfied with the quality of the rooms and services they provided for us. I strongly recommended for the tourists who will visit Osaka (Namba) in the future.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank zantiwanti
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Excellent location centrally located in the Namba district. Less than 5 minute walk from the Namba subway station (take exit 14). Walking distance to a plethora of restaurants, shops, etc. The room was nicely sized for Japanese standards. I recently stayed in both Tokyo and Kyoto and this room was 1.5x the size of both of those hotels with similar ratings/price - bathroom was 2x of the other hotels. Excellent value as it was one of the cheaper hotels for its ratings/location based on my research. Staff was very helpful throughout our entire stay. Decor is a bit dated though as walls were scuffed; could use a new paint job. Room did smell a little bit strange (like BO which I have seen other reviewers comment on), but it went away with the use of the air cleaner/humidifier. Excellent choice for hotel - would highly recommend!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 6 February 2014

If you wants to find hotel which is located at the very core of Osaka with reasonable price and cleanness. Totombori is the right next of hotel, so you need to just walk a few steps and will see the heart of Osaka's main area. The room was smaller than I expected, but convenient and there was not any problem with room. The location is the beauty of this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family