“Simple review... I f'in LOVE this place.”

The Magnificent Fish & Chips Bar
Ranked #98 of 4,046 Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Simple review... I f'in LOVE this place.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

I was recommended The Magnificent Fish & Chips Bar when I first moved to KL. From my first visit I was massively impressed, and very little has changed since then!

I'd like to think that I've sampled pretty much everything from the menu now - obviously, the fish & chips; but also the roast dinners, pies, fresh seafood, cocktails, Bloody Mary oyster shots... The list goes on!

The defining factor that makes this restaurant so great is that they don't have one great signature dish - ALL of their dishes are signature, and consistently good.

The staff are very friendly and attentive, and the price won't hurt the bank either.

It surprises me that there have been negative reviews of this place recently, as I can honestly say it's one of the most consistently great restaurants that I've eaten at! My range is pretty wide when it comes to eating out - from hawker stalls and street vendors, to the Mandarin or Tamarind, and I genuinely never thought I'd give a "chippy" 5 stars, but here it is... This place has been a weekly cornerstone of my life in KL to date, and that won't change any time soon.

Keep doing what you're doing guys, it's perfect!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Nick M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Very disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Ordered Icelandic Cod and chips and seafood mixed grill. Both were very disappointing. The cod was small and the fish a bit grey in colour. The chips seemed as if they had been standing for some time and were certainly not cooked to order. The seafood grill was a small portion and one of the prawns was clearly off. We discussed our disappointment with the manager who gave a very "take it or leave it" approach and gave no apology. The food is not cheap here and we expected much better. This was the first and last visit. Don't waste your money at this place - a real disappointment'!

Visited May 2014
Paul_Corrigan, Owner at The Magnificent Fish & Chips Bar, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Steve,

Thanks for your honest review.

I'm sorry that you had a disappointing experience but am glad you brought it to our attention (even though the response you had from the Manager at the time was unsatisfactory, which I also apologise for).

Please let me know when you visited us so I can advise the colleague in question on some basic customer service skills and please drop in again when I will shout you lunch which I'm sure will be at our normal high standards.

Thanks,

Paul Corrigan
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“All the hype was for nothing.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Honestly, I decided to try this place out with my Singaporean friend as we were staying around Changkat that weekend. I've heard so much hype about this place that my expectations were set quite high. I was ready to eat and get it over with. I tried Barramundi fish while my friend ordered the Butterfish. Quite frankly, I think it is way too pricey for fish and chips. RM30 and above? Really? When it came, the portion was big I must admit. They served an array of sauces alongside as well for some added kick. Cut into the fish, tasted and.... was disappointed. Fish was fairly fresh.. Batter was plain.. But the overall fish and batter was tasteless.. I tried the Butterfish from my friend. Hers was seasoned fortunately. They gave us a hefty amount of big fries... It was just OK as well.. But then, we started to realise that it was not even cooked enough.. It was hard. Tsk.. Tsk..

Did I mention that I had to change my drink..? There was a small piece of grass in it.. LOL

I would not recommend this to anyone anymore.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Norry_Lyn
“Never Again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

I ordered fish and chips and the chips were old and had been heated up. I told the waitress about this, she hardly even bothered to acknowledge it. I waited for the bill and they charged me to total fee even though I didn't eat the chips. I'm never going there again. No customer service, ignorant staff, poor food! She probably thought I was a 2 week tourist and even if I was the whole experience was dissapointing! Do't bother wasting your money! I wish I'd have taken a photo of this crap to show ya'll!

• Visited March 2014
Bogota, Colombia
“Always a grand time here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

I used to go here quite a couple of times when I used to live in KL last year. I always had the fish and chips with Cod fish and it has always been fantastic! Quite a big portion but well worth the price. We would also order the oysters to share with my family and it was simply delicious. If you have room for dessert then I suggest to order the bread and butter pudding, you won't regret it.

Staff here is extremely nice and friendly here and the service is great! Might come off a bit pricey but I never found KL to be cheap anyways. I will definitely come back here when I visit KL sometime.

• Visited April 2013