“Noisy”
Review of Classic Inn

Classic Inn
Ranked #20 of 349 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Classic Inn is one of the few affordable places in KL to stay a few nights. It is in a location with good access to public transport.
The rooms are ok, however it was very noisy all nights. I think the staff were high on sugar after having to fast during the day (Ramadan), then at night they gorged themselves on goodies to make up for it. That is the only explanation I can think of. It was certainly the Hotel staff making all that racket without consideration for their guests.
The other noisy source was the huge Berjaya Times Square Hotel, Shopping Mall opposite. The gigantic airconditioning units of this monster roared like jet-engines.
This complex was on the other hand a wellcome reprieve from the stifling heat of the Classic Inns Patio where after Breakfast one could not sit anymore, thanks to the low fibreglass roof.
The breakfast at Classic Inn was barely edible, especially the pancakes were like a pair of thongs. a better option for food was across the road at the mentioned complex that had a reasonable food court.
The staff at day time were friendly and helpful.
For a better nights sleep I would look at other places next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hans Q

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Choosing Classic Inn is really based on the type of traveler. I am a budget traveler, but I am definitely not a backpacker. In other words, I am not able to overlook and roll with whatever is not available or aggravating in various environments. For me, cleanliness, safety and a restful environment are non-negotiable for me.

Classic Inn is not the worst place that I stayed during my travels through Southeast Asia, but I am convinced that there are plenty of higher quality locations for the same rate in the major city of Kuala Lumpur. I would not stay at Classic Inn again, unless that was my last option.

For those considering Classic Inn, I want to leave this tip. If you are traveling with luggage, taking the public rail may be cumbersome. Classic Inn is across from the Imbi station, but not a few steps. At the end of the review I give specific directions on how to find the Classic Inn. The issue was not the location or the room. Granted, the actual street is not picturesque, but I felt safe and the location was very convenient. You are actually within walking distance of Bukit Bintang and other major shopping. Whenever I became a bit turned around I just looked up to see the neon Berjaya Times Square sign. The room was ridiculously small, but met all my needs, comfortable and was cleaned everyday. The breakfast was the best offered by a hotel during my visit as a budget traveler.

The issue was the rude and exceptionally noisy staff. Other reviewers commented on this problem, which I interpreted as minor. The noise was not minor for me. Into the wee hours of the night the staff laughed and socialized. One had a klacker toy that they flipped incessantly. To be honest, I didn't even notice the other guests, just the constant din from the staff. The gentleman at reception initially seemed humorous, but overtime I learned that he was insulting and laughing at guests. Other guests also looked and commented on lack of sleep and aggravation. On my day of departure, a local actually came in and scolded them for their lazy service. After some fussing, the staff finally came around and assisted me with my departure to the airport.

For a backpacker, Classic Inn is probably more than suitable. For a budget traveler looking for basic service and a restful environment . . . look somewhere else. I know I am.

Airport to Classic Inn:
You take the KLIA express from the airport to KL Sentral (35 myr). From there you take the monorail to Imbi station (< 3 myr). This is where having heavy luggage becomes an issue. There are no more escalators or elevators until the mall. You have to walk a quarter to half a mile to the monorail station with only stair access. There was a free porter who helped me carry my bag down to street level. The Imbi station is directly linked to Berjaya Times Square, which is a mall. You need to enter the mall and descend to the bottom floor. Head to the back of the mall past the toastbox, piano stairwell and finally the KFC. To the right of the KFC is an alley door that leads to the back of the mall (Hold your breath). Directly across the street is Classic Inn denoted by a small aged yellow sign. Not the large inviting Classic Inn sign, look further to the left and up for your Classic Inn sign.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the lobby due to noisy staff.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank CuriousTrvl
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Booked Classic Inn for 3 nights. We walked pass "another" Classic Inn, a few doors away. Later, we realized that's Classic Inn Premier. We paid for upgrade to Classic Inn Premier, having seen the really basic Classic Inn, which is old and a little run down. Will recommend the Classic Inn Premier, which is newer (a few months old according to the staff).
Plus: convenient location, very friendly and helpful staff, clean, free WIFI
Minus: no place/space for hanging clothes, small room, tiny space to put small items

Room Tip: Choose Classic Inn Premier for a little extra
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reise2012
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Plus points:
• Close to Imbi MRT, Berjaya Times Square, Bukit Bintang & Jalan Alor street food
• Friendly, helpful staff
• Free wi-fi
Minus points:
• Really small, basic rooms, no closet / hanging space
• Noisy, especially from the vast aircon / extraction fan machinery from the back of Times Square, and the heavy bass doof-doof of an adjacent bar 2-3 nights a week

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Australboy
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We booked Classic Inn as our first night from flying in from the UK, wanting to ensure we got a comfortable place to stay with our own shower from our long journey. We went by Lonely Planet's recommendations. We weren't disappointed! It was a clean, comfy room with air-con and en-suite. Staff were very helpful too. Breakfast is amazing! The best we had in Malaysia! Location is great, just hop on the monorail to Imbi - it's right by TimesSquare shopping mall too. We also booked here for our final night before we few out 3 weeks later too. It is a little on the pricey side for budget places but it ensures a clean, comfy nights sleep!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The staff is very friendly and helpful, the hostel itself seems like a little oasis in the midst of the smoggy city. The rooms are not that big, but very clean and comfortable. They offer excellent breakfast every morning and the lobby and the beautiful porch is a great place to relax, hang out, or even plan further trips (there are a lot of self made brochures with Information on short city/day trips up to travelling trips to Borneo, Thailand, etc etc). Last but not least the Classic Inn is in Walking deistance to the mono rail, a huge shopping mall and other places like Jalan Alor or Changkat Bukit Bintang.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My family and I love Classic Inn! Very convenient as you can walk to Timesquare (just opposite Classic Inn...although it is facing the back of Timesquare). We love to watch midnight movies at Timesquare and then walk back to the hotel. If you're hungry middle of the night you can walk to the "Mamak" stalls located just a few shops next to the inn.
Talking about food, there are plenty of food you can find nearby. I you decide to skip breakfast provided by the inn, you can walk down from the inn to the chinese coffee shop located at the corner of the street for a bowl of wanton mee. Of course there are more famous wanton mee stalls and other food stalls nearby just that you might need to ask for the direction to the stalls (there are plenty of choices when it comes to food).
And the inn itself is very clean and comfortable. Some of the rooms might require you to climb one or two floors up but for me it's not a problem. Just remember to have someone to carry your heavy luggage when you check out. If you feel more comfortable staying in bigger room with more walking space, just remember to remind the staff and I think they are willing to give the room to you if there's availability.
Another plus point is that the price is very affordable. Many hotels around KL are pricey and if you're looking for clean and good location stay this might be the place.
My next stay will be in November, hopefully it will be another pleasant one :)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family