“5 Star Location But Needs To Work On The Small Details That Make Excellent Accomodation”
Review of Classic Inn

Classic Inn
Ranked #19 of 328 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My first hotel choice fell through at the last minute, so I found this hotel by doing some google research. It was not until I actually made it here in person that I realised how close everything (shopping wise) actually is. They need to advertise some things correctly like transportation, ease of access and exact instructions for the location.

WHEN YOU ARRIVE TIP:

If you're coming via taxi or bus or walking from Times Square you need to go to the lobby at number 36. If you try to get into no 52 during the night you will find it is LOCKED (need a keycard). This is NOT advertised on their website. This can be a pain in the butt for those with heavy luggage as there is a narrow path for you (and lots of stairs). No 36 and No 52 are NOT together there are a few houses that separate the 2 buildings.

SHUTTLES/TRANSPORT TIP:

They also do not have a shuttle service or have any contact details for vendors to and from the airport. I don't remember which website was advertising this but you need to make your own way. Lobby is semi-helpful but don't rely on them to help you too much (compared to a 3-4-5 star hotel).

For those young people like me who want to go shopping (let's face it, it's the national past time of urban Malaysia) the Bukit Bintang area is where you're going to be spending 80-90% of your time whilst in KL.

PROS:

* Free breakfast included - not a buffet but enough to keep you going - expect some fruit, a bowl of Asian dishes and toast. They give you 1 free drink.

* Great location

* Dimming light and normal light in room. Window let good natural light in too.

* Good air con in the room

* Near monorail and walking distance of the golden triangle - taxi drivers may not know Jalan Lorong or Jalan Imbi (just ask to be dropped off at times square or cosmo world/the theme park) and walk the back way.

* Money saved for shopping and other fun activities

CONS:

* Patchy and dropping out wifi like ALL THE TIME.

* I don't see people with mobility issues being able to fully enjoy the place. There are lots of stairs and narrow pathways to the lobby/breakfast area and the "standard" hotel. No 52 is being advertised as premium on the website but this does not appear to be the case. I was very uncomfortable with the stairs because they are really big.

* Staff manners were hit and miss as a woman. Was mostly ignored to talk to my male travelling companion which I was quite annoyed about.

* They really need to work on the small details (mainly room cleanliness) that would have made my 4 star review into a 5 star review. I didn't enjoy walking in stinking hot, wanting to shower and finding a dirty big black hair stuck on the wall. There were holes in the thin blanket and for westerners it was not pleasant.

Another thing I'd like to bring up that I read on here - what noise? Whoever complained about the noise here obviously hasn't lived in high density areas where some noise should be expected. I did not hear much noise and I am more likely to complain if my sleep was disturbed.

Room Tip: People with mobility issues should avoid this place. Lots of stairs and narrow pathways. Less likely...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Missfiore10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was my first time travelling alone and was planning to stay in Classic Inn for one night but ended up extending my little trip to two nights! The staff here are all so nice and helpful and the place (rooms and toilets) are very clean. To top it off, it is exactly behind Berjaya Times Square. Everything is just so perfect for a budget hotel. Highly recommended for solo travelers. I would definitely come back again. Thank you Classic Inn!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AiJune2014
Ottawa
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at the Classic Inn Premium and from what I can tell after reading the other reviews, the Premium side is a much better choice. We quite enjoyed our 5-night stay. The location was great, the beds were very comfortable, and the room was certainly large enough for our family of four. However, there was no space whatsoever for us to unpack. All our clothes had to stay in our backpacks. To me, this is a setback, but the comfortable beds, the quick and easy breakfast, and the friendly & helpful staff made up for it. Another setback was the lack of proper WiFi in the room. We ended up using WiFi in the very comfortable lobby.

As for breakfast, I'm not one for noodles in the morning, so I only ate fruit with toast (ask for plain toasts if you are not a honey fan like me… I bought some peanut butter in the mall next door and enjoyed my toasts Canadian-style). Coffee isn't great either so I opted for tea (and bought my own earl grey tea bags).

Overall, I would certainly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is not a five star hotel but a very nice guest house. The five points are not given for the size of the rooms (they are on the small side) not for their equipment (which is spartanic). But they are lovely and absolutely clean. Whats more: the beds are very good, with very good matresses and sleeping comfort. Good and quiet climatization. The floors are all old wooden floors, which is lovely to walk barfoot. All the staff is gorgeous and helpfull, especially Joyce. Breakfast is simple but ok. The location behind the huge Times Square mall is perfect to explore the city. There are lot of young "fun" people from all over the world, so it may be not quiet all the time. I strongly recommend to only book Premium or rooms in the new middle building, not the standard rooms, which are only for the tough ones who have to save every penny. If you can afford it, and price is really unbeatable in this guesthouse, I would opt for a double bed also as a single person.

All in all: full of charme, very nice staff, great location, and incredible price-quality relation. If you want real "hotel" experience with spa and restaurant this is not for you. Buts its more than just a backpackers paradise.

Room Tip: Premium, don't take Standard, the difference is big
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here (Classic Inn Standard) as a couple in a double room on the ground floor for three nights in August 2013.
We made our way there on public transport from the airport which is far cheaper than a taxi, simply take the KLIA Express train from the airport to KL Sentral station and then take the monorail to Imbi (in the direction of Titiwangsa), it's then probably a 2-3 minute walk to the hotel front door (just use Google Maps directions for the last bit, it's really straightforward). Sure it's probably slower than a taxi but it's a lot cheaper! And it was easy enough even with a large suitcase.
On arrival, staff were welcoming and showed us to our room which was quite small but clean and comfortable with a small but perfectly functional bathroom. One minor issue was having to wait for quite a long time for one of the hairdryers as the room doesn't come with one.
There are a large amount of tourist information leaflets available including help on how to organise trips to Malacca and Kuala Selangor for the fireflies. The breakfast is also good but don't bank on filling up from it and skipping lunch as it's not that big, but food is so cheap and of such fantastic variety and quality in Kuala Lumpur that you wouldn't want to do that anyway!
There was a TV in the room with HBO movies (free) which was nice and also the free Wi-Fi worked perfectly and quickly throughout. Location wise it is excellent, as already mentioned, right next to Imbi monorail station and also Berjaya Times Square entertainment/shopping complex with it's own (sadly rather expensive) indoor theme park!
Finally, I'd encourage you to visit Kuala Lumpur as whilst there may be more remote, romantic sounding destinations in Southeast Asia it was one of the highlights of our whistle-stop six week tour of the region. There are few countries with such a diverse mix of cultures and influences as Malaysia and it's capital mirrors that with it's architecture, culture and cuisine. Should you decide to go and you are in need somewhere affordable to stay, don't look past the Classic Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The inn was very new and clean. But there's hardly any place to hang towels or clothes. We stayed at a room for four. Digi line wasn't too good there, I'm not sure if it's just that particular room or wad.. so we had to open the windows to talk but at the same time afraid to have disturbed others. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They even allowed us to leave our bags there up till evening even though we had checked out at noontime. Very convenient as it was just next to Times Square. Will love to be back here someday.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheyenne2014
Singapore
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I actually stayed in Classic Inn Premium, the newer hotel, which was only a few blocks away from the original Classic Inn.

It was a very new and clean no frills budget hotel. Stayed in a corner twin bed-room on the 3rd floor. Take note that there is no lift so you have to climb the stairs to get to the upper levels. The room was quite small but I didn't really mind as I was there for only 2 nights.

Also note that there was no wardrobe and hair dryer in the room. There was a metal strip with holes on the wall but no clothes hanger so that thing was basically quite useless. I believe there was a hair dryer at the reception for guests' use but it was on loan both nights we called.

The location of the hotel was quite good as it was right behind Berjaya Times Square where most of the shopping was done. I even caught a midnight movie with my friend at the Times Square and walked back to my hotel after that.

The receptionists spoke good English and were generally quite friendly. One of the receptionist in particular, a young girl, went the extra mile to persuade us to walk to KLCC from the hotel. And we were glad we took her advice as we got to see a different side of Kuala Lumpur on the way.

Overall, I would consider going back at the hotel for my next visit.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends