“Excellent Small Hotel/Hostel”

Ranked #19 of 331 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Auckland, New Zealand
“Excellent Small Hotel/Hostel”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Classic Inn is an excellent place to stay in Kuala Lumpur, located right beside Bherjaya Times Square Hotel the location serves as an excellent bed and breakfast at a great cost. There are rooms available for singles/doubles etc, I personally had a single.

Cleanliness is exceptional, rooms and bathrooms are cleaned daily. There are staff available 24 hours as well if you need them and serves beer/water/soft drinks etc.

It is located approximately five minutes walk from Imbi Station (the Monorail station). Getting here from KLIA means taking the KL Express (~10USD) to KL Sentral, then transferring to the Monorail (~0.5USD). Overall, very easy to get here from the airport.

Laundry service is available as needed at very reasonable rates and turn around.

Overall, the Classic Inn is an excellent place to stay if you wish a low cost option which isn't the bottom of the bottom but don't want to stay at a hotel. I met some great people but was not kept awake at night either.

Highly Recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We enjoyed this; nice people, pleasant accommodation and a good location from which to explore Kuala Lumpur.

The room was clean and comfortable if a little small; the view was fine but the room and bathroom were rather cramped. Relatively reliable wifi and working hot water. Ultimately it was small and neat; good budget accommodation but not luxurious.

The star here was the breakfast at the hostel (our room was in an annexe); we rocked up in the morning and were treated to a plate of noodles, a plate of kaya toast, a plate of sliced oranges, a choice of tea or coffee and a glass of juice. Our wallets emerged and we asked for a bill (a sign said it was 20 ringgit, inexpensive for what we had); we were told that breakfast was free for hostel guests. Then they refilled our plates when we were done!

The staff were friendly but not overly competent: they managed to charge us twice (as we'd already paid through Agoda) but within the hour realised their error and refunded the money.

The hostel is fairly central and in a row of bars and restaurants, food is also available in the mall over the road. There is a monorail station nearby so it's convenient for seeing the city. In all, a good budget option (especially for a backpacker who can pack away breakfasts!).

• Stayed January 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

near the Imbi station, nice place and silent. The receptionist is very friendly. I love the wall where guests can put their signature there. Bed is poor, old one.
The greatest thing is breakfast, it was so so much. They have coffee, bread, rice, and apples.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My first hotel choice fell through at the last minute, so I found this hotel by doing some google research. It was not until I actually made it here in person that I realised how close everything (shopping wise) actually is. They need to advertise some things correctly like transportation, ease of access and exact instructions for the location.

WHEN YOU ARRIVE TIP:

If you're coming via taxi or bus or walking from Times Square you need to go to the lobby at number 36. If you try to get into no 52 during the night you will find it is LOCKED (need a keycard). This is NOT advertised on their website. This can be a pain in the butt for those with heavy luggage as there is a narrow path for you (and lots of stairs). No 36 and No 52 are NOT together there are a few houses that separate the 2 buildings.

SHUTTLES/TRANSPORT TIP:

They also do not have a shuttle service or have any contact details for vendors to and from the airport. I don't remember which website was advertising this but you need to make your own way. Lobby is semi-helpful but don't rely on them to help you too much (compared to a 3-4-5 star hotel).

For those young people like me who want to go shopping (let's face it, it's the national past time of urban Malaysia) the Bukit Bintang area is where you're going to be spending 80-90% of your time whilst in KL.

PROS:

* Free breakfast included - not a buffet but enough to keep you going - expect some fruit, a bowl of Asian dishes and toast. They give you 1 free drink.

* Great location

* Dimming light and normal light in room. Window let good natural light in too.

* Good air con in the room

* Near monorail and walking distance of the golden triangle - taxi drivers may not know Jalan Lorong or Jalan Imbi (just ask to be dropped off at times square or cosmo world/the theme park) and walk the back way.

* Money saved for shopping and other fun activities

CONS:

* Patchy and dropping out wifi like ALL THE TIME.

* I don't see people with mobility issues being able to fully enjoy the place. There are lots of stairs and narrow pathways to the lobby/breakfast area and the "standard" hotel. No 52 is being advertised as premium on the website but this does not appear to be the case. I was very uncomfortable with the stairs because they are really big.

* Staff manners were hit and miss as a woman. Was mostly ignored to talk to my male travelling companion which I was quite annoyed about.

* They really need to work on the small details (mainly room cleanliness) that would have made my 4 star review into a 5 star review. I didn't enjoy walking in stinking hot, wanting to shower and finding a dirty big black hair stuck on the wall. There were holes in the thin blanket and for westerners it was not pleasant.

Another thing I'd like to bring up that I read on here - what noise? Whoever complained about the noise here obviously hasn't lived in high density areas where some noise should be expected. I did not hear much noise and I am more likely to complain if my sleep was disturbed.

Room Tip: People with mobility issues should avoid this place. Lots of stairs and narrow pathways. Less likely...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Missfiore10
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

This was my first time travelling alone and was planning to stay in Classic Inn for one night but ended up extending my little trip to two nights! The staff here are all so nice and helpful and the place (rooms and toilets) are very clean. To top it off, it is exactly behind Berjaya Times Square. Everything is just so perfect for a budget hotel. Highly recommended for solo travelers. I would definitely come back again. Thank you Classic Inn!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank AiJune2014
Ottawa
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We stayed at the Classic Inn Premium and from what I can tell after reading the other reviews, the Premium side is a much better choice. We quite enjoyed our 5-night stay. The location was great, the beds were very comfortable, and the room was certainly large enough for our family of four. However, there was no space whatsoever for us to unpack. All our clothes had to stay in our backpacks. To me, this is a setback, but the comfortable beds, the quick and easy breakfast, and the friendly & helpful staff made up for it. Another setback was the lack of proper WiFi in the room. We ended up using WiFi in the very comfortable lobby.

As for breakfast, I'm not one for noodles in the morning, so I only ate fruit with toast (ask for plain toasts if you are not a honey fan like me… I bought some peanut butter in the mall next door and enjoyed my toasts Canadian-style). Coffee isn't great either so I opted for tea (and bought my own earl grey tea bags).

Overall, I would certainly recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This is not a five star hotel but a very nice guest house. The five points are not given for the size of the rooms (they are on the small side) not for their equipment (which is spartanic). But they are lovely and absolutely clean. Whats more: the beds are very good, with very good matresses and sleeping comfort. Good and quiet climatization. The floors are all old wooden floors, which is lovely to walk barfoot. All the staff is gorgeous and helpfull, especially Joyce. Breakfast is simple but ok. The location behind the huge Times Square mall is perfect to explore the city. There are lot of young "fun" people from all over the world, so it may be not quiet all the time. I strongly recommend to only book Premium or rooms in the new middle building, not the standard rooms, which are only for the tough ones who have to save every penny. If you can afford it, and price is really unbeatable in this guesthouse, I would opt for a double bed also as a single person.

All in all: full of charme, very nice staff, great location, and incredible price-quality relation. If you want real "hotel" experience with spa and restaurant this is not for you. Buts its more than just a backpackers paradise.

Room Tip: Premium, don't take Standard, the difference is big
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business