“Can be a disaster depending on who you share with”

Sarang Galloway Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #13 of 328 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Gympie, Australia
“Can be a disaster depending on who you share with”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

First I would be very careful paying up front for this property as there is a no refund policy, book 1 or 2 nights and see if it suits you. We had a great deal of trouble finding this place because there is no signage on the property (which is one of 7 managed by this owner),so a taxi won't find it, lucky I knew where the swiss garden Hotel was and we just went walking. We eventually ran into a guy who was staying in the same street and he rang the owners for us and we were quickly rescued by them.
The location was excellent in a quiet street, the room was clean and the bed was a little soft but comfy and the staff are lovely. Breakfast was a roti and some fruit and was nice.
Its more like staying in someones spare room. We were a little worried about sharing facilities and expressed this before we arrived, we were told that two quiet girls were staying there, unfortunately when we arrived a family with two young boys were staying and had been for a couple of days and had a week to go.
Nothing against this lovely family except that boys will be boys, and with paper thin walls and very old timber everything including the stairs coming up to bedroom, kitchenette and two bathroom area the noise was, to say the least NOT our style. Bad aim in the toilets and rude insistant interuption in the same area made me soooo glad I hadn't paid for all 6 nights in advance. Even the poor lady who lives under the rooms was rattled so while this place could be quaint if you shared with family or friends it does feel like you have to go to your room to make space for others to use the kitchen and bathroom. The TV area downstairs is just not inviting at all, it had a very old tele and a very uninviting couch and just felt like sitting in a foyer as you pass through it to get up to bedrooms. We were eaten by mosquito's the first night and stayed awake till we had killed the last one then kept the aircon on and sealed under the door as there is an area of wire netting near the bathrooms, while this place didn't work for us others have loved it. On the bright side when we said we were not going to stay we were offered a very nice appartment opposite but didn't choose it because it had two ensuited main rooms and a doulble bunk room within the appartment with a shared kitchen and lounge area. and although we were told that more than likely no one else would be comming in we just felt like being in our own private space for sure. Trying not to be too negatative as so many have loved this place I would definately make sure the rooms match the reveiws as they seem to be for all different properties and you might not be staying where you thought you were, eg. this one does not have a pool or three bathrooms for three bedrooms as we thought looking at pictures and reading details.

Room Tip: Only 3 rooms so it depends on your neighbors, walls are very thin.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We, a group of 7 people stayed at Sarang Galloway for three nights in June. It was a really fun experience and it felt like staying at a family members house. Anitha was there to greet us when we arrived and she showed and gave us maps for stuff to do around the city, and great advices as well.

The town house had 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen and living room, it was very spacious. Everything you needed was there, and in the mornings Anitha came by with traditional breakfast. One morning we went with Christina (owner) to Little India for a traditional indian breakfast, it was a lot of fun! She also guided us through the city. Don't say no if you get this offer, it was great and good to have someone show you around.

Over all, this was a great experience and both Anitha and Christina are wonderful and helpful people. The house was clean and tidy and perfectly located, close to the restaurant street but yet on a calm and safe street. If I ever go back I'll definitely stay at Sarang again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JennyMariaL
Reviewed 7 July 2014

was kula lumpur me last May with my friends and we stayed in sarnag gest house. I was surprised by the quality of location and service, clean, quiet, anita was there for us, she took care of us. Cristina and her husband were listening to us, facilitating our stay.
The hostel is very well located, close to the main avenues and chainatown, transportation is available and is not expensive . the ideal place to spend a few days in kula lumpur.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

How often do you catch yourself calling your rented apartment in a new city 'home' within an hour of arriving? This was my experience at the apartment on floor 13A of the Casa Mutiara building in Bukit Bintang.

My husband and I were greeted and orientated by Anita, who continued to offer gems of assistance whenever needed. The studio apartment is secure, spacious and clean with a wall divider between the bedroom and living areas. There is a kitchenette with fridge and cooking facilities, table and stools, TV, wifi, lounge, a separate bathroom, AC, and a washing machine!

From the bedroom window you can see Berjaya Times Square and the Petronas Towers (just). The view from the swimming pool area on the 20th floor is more expansive. A pool was absolute luxury.

Public transport is close by, but we found that we could walk to many places. The hawker food stalls of Jalan Alor are a short walk away and we found Cold Storage supermarkets to supply foods for breakfast and one dinner (I'm vegan and just wanted to cook for myself). An Indian breakfast was included and supplied by Anita.

The negatives? The lounge is past it's prime and needs replacing. We had to ask for sheets to replace the doona/duvet.

I highly recommend this B&B. Anita, Teri and Christina were fabulous hosts. It really was our home in KL.

Room Tip: Ask for this apartment as the owners have other properties (which may be just as good, I don't k...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gertrude225
Casablanca, Morocco
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We spent 3 nights in K-L at Sarang Gallow. we like it more than a hotel.
-Cozy, quite and Clean House
-Excellent location, close to town attractions
-Fast Internet
-Fantastic hosts that put the soul to the house: Christina & Michael and Anita were at our disposal for any questions. They were great in arranging the transport and guiding us in our trip.

Big Thank you from the Moroccan friends.

We strongly recommand you to select Sarang Gallow for your next Trip to K-L, I am sure that u will like it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Christina and Michael have a knack for creating ambiance. Their rooms are attractively decorated and equipped with everything you could possible need, I've stayed at 2 of the guest houses, once in February 2014, once in May 2014. The houses are well situated for tourists, a 5 minute walk to the LRT and Monorail, and within a 15 minute walking distance you can reach many of the Kuala Lumpur sites.

The rooms are very clean, the beds are comfortable and there are small touches to make you feel you are an honoured guest in a private home. The houses are older, great for those who enjoy architectural features, they have been well-renovated to include all modern amenities. There is A/C in every room and although the bathrooms are shared, there are enough - 2 toilets and 2 showers for just 3 or 4 rooms.

Wi-fi is available, as is a separate lounge area where you can watch TV, browse reading material or hang out for a bit, and there is also a kitchen with some basic items provided, such as tea, coffee and water.

As a solo traveller I really appreciate the caring attention of Christina, Michael and Anita, but when a group of friends visited Malaysia recently, it was very nice to have our own rooms while still having a living room and kitchen where we could be together. My friends returned to KL for an extra week, knowing that they could be relaxed and have some guidance in completing their tour of Kuala Lumpur.

Christina and Michael offer a breakfast group tour at least once a week, at no extra charge. They provided an interesting tour, pointing out sites and telling us of their history, with a lot of tips on places to visit later. We had a large group breakfast in Little India, with the chance to taste almost everything that was available - Dosai, Idli, Appam and Roti with some delicious Masala Chai.

I could probably say so much more to convince someone thinking of staying at the Sarang guest houses, but I cannot say enough. Since I will be in Kuala Lumpur a few times over the next 2 years, I'm very glad that I have a home away from home.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Achama I
Stzttgart
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Christina and Michael own some appartments in this big appartment house. I got a room at the 20something (25?) floor and stayed there for three nights in May 2014.
A few days earlier I stayed at Sarang rooms (see my review there) so this was my second stay at Sarangs after coming back from the Cameron Highlands.
As promised Anita brought my big luggage to the appartment which I left a Sarang rooms before starting to Cameron Highlands.

The appartment was again very clean with a small kitchen (including coffe machine) and a bathroom with a spacious shower.
In the morning Anita brought indian breakfast (which was very tasty) to the appartment. She opened the neighbour appartment (which wasn't occupied at that time) for me so I could have my breakfast there at the big table,
May be this is the only disadvantage for the appartment:
there is no table (and as far as I remember there was no fridge). This was not a problem to me because I was a solo traveller and could have taken my breakfast at the small chest of drawers too.
The private WiFi wasn't working but I could use the public WiFi of the appartment house which was somewhat fast (but as everyone should know not as secure as a private WiFi would have been).
Every evening I enjoyed the great view to Jalan Bukit Bintang from my window
There is a nice small pool area in the apprtment house for relaxing and cooling down (which I used) and a gym (which I didn't try).
Everything was safe and clean.

Location is near to Monorail and MRT and Jalang Bukit Bintang is in walking distance.
Anita was again very helpful and reliable.
If I come back to Kuala Lumpur I will definitly stay here again because I had a very good time at Sarangs Mutiara and Sarang Rooms

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo