“Great place,friendly staff”

Ranked #109 of 338 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great place,friendly staff”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I've been coming in and again to this guesthouse for about few years in between of my travelling time in Malaysia and also Southeast Asia. The guesthouse is just a walking distance from the bus station (Pudu Sentral) and also to Chinatown. The guesthouse as well is nearby to the Club area at Jalan Changkat Bukit Bintang.
They have different type of room.I usually look for the deluxe room with queen bed.It's more spacious than the twin bed.

Room Tip: The 2nd room near the reception is a good place or else, you can choose the double bed on the 2nd fl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Thai first
Miri, Malaysia
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Coming to KL for just a short trip, I've discover the tropical guesthouse from the website and thanks to the TripAdvisor, I have no regrets in choosing the tropical guesthouse as my place to stay in for a short visit. The booking I have made was well handled, even though I change my booking from 2 nights to 3 nights at the last minute, surprisingly it was on their book list. I can't be more happy. The staff was polite and friendly, those smiling makes me more happy. The room I was staying was a double Decker bed, air conditioned, the bed sheet were clean, and they even supply me a towel, which i didn't use because I brought myself one and a blanket of course. The rooms come with a small round table, and a plug in socket. I was amazed by the WiFi speed. The toilets were fine for me. Nevertheless, I enjoy my stay here. Strongly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MikelynM
warsaw
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Its a good and cheap guesthouse and on a quiet street. The toilets are nicely designed. The rooms are very small but rather comfortable. Staff is friendly. Localization of the guesthouse is also good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

The rooms are small, sheets almost clean but the location (near bars, food courts and restaurants), relaxed vibe, friendly staff (invited us for a meal for Chinese New Year) and western bathrooms make the guesthouse a cosy place in the city.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
dublin
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We visited Kuala Lumpur in January 2013 and had a drink at the Tropical Guest house and a chat with the really nice manager. When we realised that we had a night to spend there in January 2014 - we emailed the Tropical and booked a room in August 2013. We had numerous communications with the owner confirming our room back in August and September 2013. When we arrived (on the night of Tet!) - there was no listing of our booking and they were full!! The Manager brought us up the road to another guest house which was not a good standard but we did not have a choice as it was all very busy. We were disappointed as we had gone to so much trouble to book in advance. The Manager is a great guy but unfortunately, the owner, even though he informed her of the situation - never even emailed us to apologise for the mistake. Does not take a lot to do this so I was not impressed. Black mark for them unfortunately. We can't really rate it as we did not get to stay there but just a warning.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gilld001
Paris, France
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Very well located in Bukit Bintang (next to bars and restaurants, and next to Jalan Alor with all the chinese food courts). The staff was nice and gave us useful advice to discover Kuala Lumpur. The rooms and bathrooms are ok (not dirty, but not perfectly clean neither), even if they are a bit old. A little coat of paint would be appreciated!
Tropical Guesthouse is perfect for backpackers or young travelers who need a well located room, but who don't care of decoration and perfect cleanliness!

Room Tip: The room just next to the lobby has a double bed but no window. Upstairs rooms have windows but tw...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clemnoizette
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

This is the most insane guesthouse I've ever stayed at. As I write, it's past 10pm and the music that is being blasted throughout the GH (there are actually speakers in the ceiling outside every room) shows no sign of relenting. It's a Monday.

When the music isn't blasting, you are sure to wake up from the person talking in the room next to yours or walking outside your door, which has all the sound proofing of cardboard.

Rooms are tiny, you will struggle to fit two people's luggage into the doubles. I booked the Deluxe Double, though I'm struggling to come up with what could possible constitute anything deluxe in it.

If you are not a fan of cigarette smoke in your room, don't stay in any of the front rooms as the smoke from the open reception will drift in.

The shared bathrooms have pebbled floors, which looks nice but unfortunately catches a lot of dirt. Towards the end of the day, they become somewhat yucky.

Probably a great place for all-night party backpackers, but for everyone else, give it a miss.

The front desk staff are a bit off-handed but seem ok for what this place is.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo