“It's Raining - Inside and Out !”

Hop on Hop Off Bus Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #14 of 68 Tours in Kuala Lumpur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The best way to tour KL city is by KL Hop-On Hop-Off City Tour. KL Hop-On Hop-Off City Tour has 23 designated stops, which covers more than 70 attractions. It’s the best way of introduction to the city.
Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“It's Raining - Inside and Out !”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Awoke to a rainy day on 24/Apr so elected to utilise the Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) bus as a way to keep the kids amused as we took in a greater appreciation for the sights of KL, what we didn’t realise is that the HOHO did not supply any respite from the rain as we got just as wet on the inside and we would have walking the streets, and we were in the covered section of the bus.

I am still unsure if it was rain getting in, or evaporation from the air-conditioner, but every seat on the bus was wet to some extent, with puddles literally running down to the middle aisle. As we turned one corner a stream of water ran from one of the speakers in the roof. It was amusing to watch as people were digging up rain coats and ponchos to wear inside the bus.

The audio commentary was poor and continually out of synch with the attractions and stops. On some occasions the audio would start and then stop for no reason. On one occasion in jumped 3 stops. (Perhaps it had something to do with the water streaming from the speakers)

HOHO is generally a good way to get a feel for where you are and what is best to see, which did occur this time, it certainly wasn’t as comfortable as it could have been.

1 Thank Dean B

1,774 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,646 helpful votes
“Best way to see KL”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Contrary to the other reviews here I absolutely loved this bus and how easy it made seeing the sights of KL. I found KL very pedestrian unfriendly with busy streets and virtually no pavements. This bus solved it all. For RM38 you get a ticket which lasts 24 hours (48hrs also available), don't worry if you don't start until late afternoon - they mark the time you start on your ticket. Buses run 8.30am - 8.30pm. Make sure you pick up the little brochure once you get on, this has the route map showing the locations of the 22 stops. It takes two and a half hours to do the whole circuit.
I had both open top and covered bus, they were both fine. The covered one has a glass roof but you really need open top if you want to take photos of the skyscrapers. The tape commentary worked well and took the hassle out fumbling through guidebooks while negotiating busy streets. If you are a solo traveller I highly recommend getting on this bus and letting KL flow by.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Jolyon67
New York City, New York
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Worked for me”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I don't know what bus the last three reviewers were on, but I just left KL on Thursday and I have only positive comments to make. Perhaps these other people are not widely travelled and had unrealistic expectations. My one suggestion would be that the company invest in taped commentary and at the appropriate time the driver merely pushes a button. Would recommend a female voice with a British journalist accent. But I found buses to run at regular, expected intervals. They did not break down and were in reasonable condition. Read the map, folks. It contains the information. One shouldn't expect to exit the bus and be less than a block from a site. It is hop-on/hop-off, not a tour bus.

1 Thank TCV1119
Australia
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 234 helpful votes
“Not the best one.”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

After arriving to a new and unknown place to me, I usually try to get on one of those Hop On Hop Off buses, if there is one available, as I believe that this is an easy and quick way to see a new city and get your bearings. So my husband and I did what we usually do on our first trip to Kuala Lumpur. I'm not sure whether this was a good idea as I was skeptical about it to start with after reading some of the reviews about the service in KL. My experience with the KL Hop On Hop Off bus tour ended with disappointment. I was hoping to get more from this trip, but even though I was disappointed my husband was sort of happy. First of all we had an English speaking guide who I did not fully understand. He was speaking with a heavy accent. (Plus we had a few noisy Chinese people with their interpreter who was talking to them loudly during the tour guides explanation.) Our tour guide also did not make an effort in terms of explaining the sites. His explanations were short, brief and with no embellishments.
Stops were announced almost just prior to arriving at them and some of the attractions has inconsistent walking distances from the bus stops.
On the positive side half of the bus top floor was enclosed with A/C working properly. The other half was open for sun and heat lovers.
The ticket was valid for 24hrs and cost 45 RM (Ringgit) per person and only cash was accepted as a payment.
My suggestions for readers are:
Get yourself a good map and use a bus, subway or monorail instead and it won't cost you much
If you are traveling with another person- hire a taxi. I know that this may be a somewhat risky idea but maybe with the assistance of your hotel staff you could get a honest taxi driver.
My suggestion to the business owner or operator of this service is:
Why not make an information sheet with more info on it and in different languages as well.

1 Thank komsAustralia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Please more busses”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We were lucky, but we saw a lot of people waiting, and the buss was full during several stops, ... The telephone does exist! Anyway we enjoyed the tour even though we have a bit of difficulty in understanding the KL english. . Why not make an informationsheet in orher languages?

1 Thank Jettedpx