“Close, but no cigar”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of V'la Court Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kuala Lumpur
V'la Court Hotel
Ranked #118 of 323 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Close, but no cigar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I REALLY wanted to rate this hotel higher, but for several glaringly bad points, I just can't.

The hotel has a great location in KL, and once you step off the street into its walled gardens, you're instantly impressed, especially for the price! Just walking into the garden you instantly feel a tranquility from the street, even though it's less than a meter away.

The courtyard is decorated like a Buddhist garden, with lots of statues and friezes on the walls. It's nice. Everything looks clean and the entrance way up to reception is pleasant; but this is where it starts to go awry...

Firstly I was early to check in by 3 hours. Initially I was told that I couldn't check in, and it wasn't until I pushed and asked for a room that the receptionist said one was available (at an extra RM30). I was given the key and room number, but no instructions on how to get there, or how to connect to the hotel WiFi, so after hunting for my room, I had to go back to reception so someone could show me where it was. I stay in a lot of hotels, and have a pretty canny understanding of how hotel room numbers work, but this place baffled me!

I got into the room and pretty much went straight to sleep; the excessive beers with my boss on Changkat the night before were really starting to kick in, and my brain felt 3 sizes too big for my skull... I woke up around 2pm and could not get back to sleep - the curtain across the window was thinner than wet tissue and the sun was blinding (bear in mind my hangover was also kicking up a gear to DEFCON2). This is when I noticed that the communal area was right outside my window! Some guy is sitting there smoking, and I can see him clear as day through the tissue curtain! Likewise, I'm sure he could see me too, so I was glad I'd got under the covers. I'm sure it's mandatory these days for every hotel to have the kind of blackout curtains which could survive the blast from a nuclear blast, no...?

Stealthily, I retrieved my underwear from the floor and popped them on, covering my modesty, then started to organise my life.

Storage space is a little basic, so if you've got anything more than a pair of shorts, 3 x t-shirts and some flip flops, you'll be left with a room looking like a Chinese laundry. Fortunately, I'm a bloke, and can fit 10 days worth of clothes into a messenger bag for a holiday away with the misses, so this wasn't too much of a problem. But be warned: if you're a traveler passing through with your life on your back, or my misses, who usually packs enough garments for a weekend break to clothe a reasonably sized African nation for a month, you're going to struggle.

The rooms are very clean - certainly no problems there - and more importantly, the shower is modern and comes out in a proper jet!

I'm not sure if this is a problem for all the rooms, or just mine, but the walls were very thin, so I could hear a mouse fart across the street. This became a problem later that night when I tried to sleep, as people were retiring for the evening and there was a steady procession of passersby that evening (probably trying to sneak a peek through my tissue paper curtains...).

Like I said before, the hotel has a great location, and when I got peckish around 11pm, it was a 2 minute stroll up the road to the Nagasari restaurant who serve up an awesome masala dosa and chicken tikka. By this time, my hangover had reduced itself to bearable levels, so I popped over to Pisco across the road to see some pals and have a quick beer before bed. BIG MISTAKE - I hung around too long with my pals, and it wasn't long before they were kicking us out at 2am, having worked on the hangover that I'm now coping with <insert sympathy here>.

I got back to the hotel and got into bed, making sure there were no peeping toms outside my window. I drifted off into a nice sleep - the beds and pillows are comfy - and I was just starting to have a nice dream about what I was going to have for breakfast the next morning, when all of a sudden - I WAS STRUCK BY NIGHT SUN!!

I'm not exaggerating... The light that I was bathed in was enough to warrant factor 50 sun block, and I worry for my eyelids today which I believe may start peeling later.

Turns out there was a power cut to several of the rooms, and the night sun that was giving me the wonderful tan at 3:30am was the emergency escape lights. I'm not entirely sure who thought it would be a good idea to blind the patrons of the hotel in an emergency, but they clearly didn't go to MIT.

I wrapped a towel around my waist and went outside to investigate. To be honest, I'm not too sure why I bothered with the towel, as I'm pretty sure half of KL had already seen my bare backside through the tissue curtains already... Upon entering the courtyard I met some guys running around who informed there was a power cut, but had no idea how long it would take to fix. Even though I had a little whine and a moan, no one offered me any form of compensation, like maybe a late checkout...?

Long story short, the power was fixed around 4:15am and the night sun was extinguished. My alarm went off for work at 7:30am, but I emailed the boss, citing irreparable 3rd degree burns to my retinas to bag myself the morning off, and went back to sleep. Touch.

This could be a great little hotel, but there were just a few things that annoyed me. Once these are addressed, I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Indonesian first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

The hotel is located in the middle of the Golden Triangle area, buzzling with bars, restaurants and shopping malls and at a walking distance to Petronas towers. What I´d like to highlight and thank specially is the excellent service we´ve experienced: We arrived to KL very overpacked, and since we needed to take a low cost flight to the south of Thailand, decided to store our luggage for one week in the hotel. We ended up making our trip in Thailand longer than expected, and after talking with Pravin who managed everything very smoothly and efficiently, we arrived back to KL where they were expecting us with a room and our backpacks ready inside.
The only drawback of the hotel comes if you prefer quieter places, because the whole surrounding area is full of bars, pubs and restaurants which can make it a bit noisy on the weekends.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mariela B
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

Paid 80MR for windowless double with attached bathroom, AC and television. Room was very basic, but your centrally located in KL so your paying for the location.

The furniture was run down, and the room quite small for two people.

If you're only planning to use it to sleep- it's fine until morning.

Location wise- be aware that google maps wrongly locates the hotel so you may walk around in circles. It is in a very good location near Imbi station and a 5/10 minute walk to The Pavillion.

Incredibly noisy in the morning. Noise started at 6:30am.

Hotel had complimentary breakfast- we didn't take however so can't comment.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Victron23
Hanoi, Vietnam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

Located on Bukit Bintang district (Golden Triangle) so it just takes a few step to the shopping malls, night (culinary) market, many bars and coffee shops, and foot/body massages.

Budget room is small with no window but it's not a matter at all when you spend all the time you have in KL outside. Besides it's very clean and you only have to pay $30 for a double/twin (attached bathroom, breakfast incld.). The staff is friendly and helpful (the old man at the reception desk always makes a big smile whenever he see you). To me, V'la Court Hotel is quite a nice place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sack_Artist2002
Zamboanga City, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

It is very near Berjaya times square and other food courts. 15-minute walk to the center(BB). The room is comfortable with TV, toilet and aircon. Staffs are friendly. I highly recommend this hotel! Looking forward to stay here again in my future trip to KL.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank meg G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

be sure to pack light coz there is no elevator. the hotel is near the smk canteen where they have good curry buffet.. it is also near the shopping malls. From the hotel going to petronas twin tower, it will take you 20mins if you walk and 8RM if taxi (used by meter)

btw, bring your own adaptor when you stay here.. they dont have a spare when you borrow.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank kmicsa2
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

Vla garden is located extremely close to the most happening part in town . If your on a budget of around 50USD then i would recommend the deluxe rooms which are a little big compared to the std ones.if ur budget falls below 50USD then you can take the standard rooms which is so small that even a pigeon would suffocate.breakfast is complimentary but i would suggest its better to have it outside as the variety is basic and minimum .many food joints are available close by especially the middle eastern food like arabic and lebanese are just mouth watering and delightful.the rooms are clean and tidy .toilets are small but good.do remember to carry your own towel .cause the ones provided by the hotel are not good enough.it was a pleasent 3 day stay with a very friendly staff who help us out with anything necessary.if im still on a budget next time i wouldnt think twice to go to this hotel.cheers!!
Places of interest nearby: