“Value, quality, and functionality” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #21 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Lisbon, Portugal
“Value, quality, and functionality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Royale Chulan is impressive in design, combining Malay traditions, and this is evident not just in the grand lobby and public areas, but in the room as well. The hotel is very clean, the room we had was large, well appointed and well maintained, with a comfortable bed and pillows. The bathroom was large, with a separate shower and tub, with thick soft towels. Breakfast was simply superb -- when we were searching for a hotel to stay in, we saw very good feedback about the breakfast even with some commenting that this was the best buffet breakfast in KL -- so we had high expectations. That, plus being a foodie, I set the bar high. So happy to find out that their breakfast lived up to the hype! The choice is enormous with the international fare available -- with hot dishes and cold ones being served. You name it, they got it -- Malay, Indian, Japanese, Western -- and the important thing is that it was impressive not just for the quantity but for the quality. The only thing which could be improved is to include more in the choice of Western food, more and better types of bread (integral, rye, etc), cheeses and cold meats.

What was a bit puzzling for us was the way to the pool -- it was not to be found easily, there are no good signs and when we did find it, it was just a small door which seemed to even be an emergency exit. Didn't seem at all to be a 5-star thing. The location is great too, it is beside the official souvenir shop where quality souvenirs can be bought, and close to some interesting places, including the Petronas towers. The Hop on-Hop off bus stops in the souvenir shop beside, so it is convenient for hotel guests.

The only downside to this stay was that there was no good wifi connection. We had to go to the lobby every time we needed to connect to the wifi.

Otherwise, we would certainly return to this hotel again -- the breakfast alone is attraction enough! Great place for business, for couples, and for family -- we certainly saw an even mix of all these types of guests, which says a lot for value, quality, and functionality of the hotel!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bucharest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

I have spent three days in Royale Chulan in Kuala Lumpur and I have been impressed by the quality of this establishment.

Location: excellent location in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, 5 minutes walk to the main shopping street as well as to Petronas towers.
Rooms: very big, clean, comfortable beds, spacious bath
Breakfast: lots of food, mainly Asian

Overall, a very good impression.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Checked in with my family of two kids to celebrate our wedding anniversary, we arrived late evening and the hotel was quiet and the lobby was empty. Room was ready but not up to the expectation as the room carpet was dirty and the room was overlooking a roof though I had requested for a better view as we were staying for 5 days.
Reception staff was not courteous at all and I felt as I had walked into a two star property. Though I had informed him about me being an hotelier and was expecting for a better service.
I found my way to the room as I was not offered to be assisted; luggage was not delivered for more than half an hour so I had to call the concierge to request for my bags as we had friends waiting for us in the lobby.
We were given room 312 and the room carpet was in a very bad condition which I had informed to the bellman but nothing was heard further from the hotel for a solution.
Room cleaning was very below for a five star hotel as the room was dusty with carpets not being vacuumed, no towels were replenished. On our second night there had been no turndown and therefore I called the guest services to inquire and was told this would be provided “upon request”.
I had spoken to duty manager (Balgis) in regards to the issues and highlighted my disappointment but this was not acknowledged at all. As the room cleanliness was getting worsened day by day I had to call for the housekeeping management to highlight the issue as I was worried for the safety of by baby. I was met by one of the housekeeping manager (Rose) and I had explained how disappointed I was as an hotelier working for a leading hotel chain and having to spend my anniversary in great disappointment. Rose was so thoughtful and apologized to the shortfall and also had a thorough clean given to the room (this was the previous night to our check out).
Overall the hotel lacks service efficiency to be a 5 star and I would rather rate this as a 4 star hotel and if it is not for the hotels interior this would go as a 3 star.
Never coming back to this place as there are better options to select in KL.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

I wanted to try a 5-star experience with a Malaysian flavor; the Royale Chulan did not disappoint. Top 3 positives of my experience: 1. spacious room, nicely laid out (I had a suite) overlooking the pool; decor throughout the building and in the room reminded me I was in Malaysia (big plus for me); 2. gym is not large but large enough and well equipped; complemented with a pool long enough to do laps, could keep to me regular workout habits 3. food options onsite are ample though also 15 minute walk from KLCC/Petronas towers (or 4 minute cab ride) Found the best rate on their own website: www.theroyalechulan-kualalumpur.com

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2012

I spent 2 nights in this hotel and I’d like to recommend this hotel. I found a very good deal in booking.com, there was 50% discount and I was so lucky that I had an upgrade upon arrived. My room was amazing, it was an apartment, with all the comfort that you need: big bathroom, large shower, bath, Queen size bed, 2 sofas, TV 42” kitchen and table. After a long flight, you’d not ask more… The hotel is in a safe area, 10 minutes walking distance to the tube station, close to the centre and the Petronas Towers, the staff is very helpful and friendly and the swimming pool is the cherry on the cake, especially when you need some rest after a long day… Breakfast was astonishing: me and my girlfriend could choose between different kind of food: European, Malay, Japanese, Thai… You can imagine how happy we were… My mouth waters if I think about it…
Thumb up to this 5 stars hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ceko1982
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

Stayed in the Superior Room, which was a large very spacious and clean room. The bed was huge! We (me, husband and 2yr old) were able to share the bed with no problem.
As our flight arrived at 7.30am and the hotel is a 40min taxi ride from KLI- we got there REALLY early than expected. This was no problem and we were warmly welcomed after a 12 hr flight and taken up to our room quickly.

The bathroom is a good size with both seperate shower and bath areas, although be careful after a shower as the shower room was not 100% water tight, which can make the marble floor quite slippy!

The beauty of this place is the location- 15 min walk from the Petronas towers and 5 min walk from the pavillion shopping complex, which is very handy with a toddler, when you need to get a quick bite to eat. As the food in the hotel is rather pricey, we ate out everynight and were still able to get back at a reasonable time before my son got cranky from being out all day! I would highly recommend the restaurant next to the hotel- which is a Malaysian buffet restaurant with ethinic Malay dance performances.

The nearest rail (monorail as its called there!) is about 5 min walk from the hotel and will get you to the main station, to get to key locations (ie, Batu caves etc.) The help desk at the front are very professional and helpful in devising a realistic itinary, providing maps to keep- would recommend a quick visit at the start.

Finally- breakfast! Very extensive in terms of variations, ie, japanese food, malay etc Although Im not a big breakfast person, the food was very good and the different variations worked well.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TripReviewer03
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

We generally like to stay in SPG properties as we are their Gold members but this time we wanted to try out some boutique experiences during our trip to Malaysia but I guess which was not that great of an idea.

Good Late night Checkin but with NO bell desk: We arrived at the hotel late at night around 3am. There was no one at the door to receive or greet us. No bell boy to help us with our luggage. I quickly came inside to see if someone can help us with our luggage. The person at the reception called someone but by then my hubby got the luggage inside. In meantime, the bell boy came, saw us carrying luggage but did not offer to help.

The check-in was okay. They asked us to sit and in the meantime prepare our keys. It was very nice of them to let us check in at such an odd time. +1 for super early check-in.

Room: The room is good size with a large bathroom. We booked a deluxe room looking at the pictures on the website that shows that the deluxe room has a Petronas Tower view even from the bathtub. But according to them, they have "upgraded" us to Royal Club room with no views. Also, our Royal Club room had the same layout as their Superior room which was cheaper and the bathtub on one corner of the bathroom with no views.

There is no view from the entire hotel like the way they show from their deluxe room pictures as there is a building right in front.

Bathroom: The wash basin sink was not working fine. The water didn't pass through and was clogged for a while. We called the hotel maintenance and they were able to fix it in 2 hours!

Horrible Service: Since we had Stay 3 Pay 2 package, our breakfast was included for 2 nights only. We got up really late first morning and wanted to check if we could use no breakfast policy on the first night and go for breakfast the other two days. We called the front desk and the lady refuses our request and says that we have to show a medical proof if we can't go to the breakfast today for her to let us have the breakfast later. What?!?! Are we in kindergarten? Absolutely shameful!

It seemed like that the staff was trained to say no for everything. We noticed this lots of other guests too. I wonder why those people don't come and write TripAdvisor reviews for this hotel. Good reviews for this hotel is definitely a mis-lead.

The last night we called the concierge to inquire about the taxi and tried to get us rushed to book the taxi from him. After making a new calls, we found that his quote was RM50 more than the official rate. Please try to call the official Airport Taxi for the pickup from your hotel to LCCT airport. This is the phone number for them: +(6017) 311 6118. Also, if you can afford it, I would say go for the premium taxi. Really nice cars and much better experience than the budget cars.

Location : Just Okay.. Although the hotel is very close to the Pavilion Mall, you have to jaywalk the main road to get there fastest. The safe way of crossing the bridge was long and was about 15 minute walk.

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple