Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #24 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Spacious rooms. V.comfortable beds. Great breakfast choice for all tastes from around the world. Good pool. Dinner buffet only ok and inconvenient that cannot put restaurant food on hotel bill and never been asked for cash deposit in advance to cover possible food and beverage bills.

Room Tip: Pool view nice and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
FSwoboda, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear JC349,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chuilan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We always look forward to our guests feedback on a daily basis, positive and negative, and rest assured we are constantly taking measures to ensure improvements with regards to maintenance and the quality of our service.
I also would like to apologise for the shortcomings on the billing procedures you had at the restaurant. We have discussed with the relevant departments responsible and have taken appropriate measures to avoid recurrence.

Please come and visit us again and allow us an opportunity to prove our dedication to our guests.

Dato' Franz Swoboda

Write a ReviewReviews (2,610)

Reviewed 29 December 2013

The hotel is stunning with a kind of traditional architecture and modern amenities. Lobby is just stunning, matching the uniform of the staff. I love the beautiful sarong, wrap around the men waists and the beautiful kebaya the ladies are wearing. Rooms are clean. Nice big bathroom. Buffet breakfast is sufficient, service is good. We tried the L'Heritage restaurant, and we were very happy with the food. The beef wangyu and the Lamb Chop are superb. Good work Chef. We also tried Bunga Mas, malay cuisine, that was also nice, but we prefer L'Heritage food. Location is superb. 3 minute walk from the main shopping centre, Pavillion. You just take a side door of the hotel, walk to your left, cross the service road, then cross a main road ( don't worry, there's a pedestrian crossing) and you are at the back door of the mall. To venture further, go out the front door of pavillion then to your right, and find more shopping mall, such as Lot 10. Another 5 minute walk. So if other people said it's too far to walk, that person probably hates walking. We even walked all the way to KLCC via the bridge from Pavillion, yes it is 20 minutes of walking, but, remember, you are passing malls and shops, so you don't even notice it. The only one incident we had was with the house keeping, they put a linen that had a big yellow stain on it. We rang them, and they changed it straight away. Supervisor, please monitor. Old sheets with stains should be thrown out as it is NOT a good sight in a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Eileen S

Dear Eileen S,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for your kind words and vote of confidence in our service. We are constantly improving our services hence all honest feedback are taken seriously. We do hope that you will find time to visit Kuala Lumpur again and perhaps stay with us in order for us to serve you again.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Good location - walking distance to Pavillion and from there a magnitude of other shopping centres, but not right in the heart of things. Not as modern a hotel as many of the others but still decent. Buffet breakfast was good. Felt at times the service was a bit poor but on the whole this was a good place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nuggetsoclock
FSwoboda, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Nuggetsoclock,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!.
.Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor .We constantly look forward to our guests’ feedback and comments in order to continuously improve our service standards. . We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Kuala Lumpur!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

The hotel is well located in the quiet area of Bukit Butang (Golden Triangle). It's about 10 min walk to the central Bukit Butang. The traditional design of hotel is unique but a bit gaudy for my taste. The staff is attentive and friendly. The guest room is huge with high ceiling and a big bathroom. My room had a view to the Petronas Twin Tower which was def plus. I heard so many good things about the breakfast buffet that I had high expectation. While it was good, I didn't think it was better than any other 5 star hotels would offer. Some of food were lukewarm. The hotel is starting to show its age a bit. There were many ants on the bathroom sinks. When I left a banana on my desk, so many ants flocked immediately. Nonetheless, this hotel is a good choice for someone who's looking for a 5star hotel which is rather reasonable compared to other 5 stars in a decent location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear Jetsetter214
Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!
I apologise for your unfortunate experience in your bathroom. We have discussed our shortcomings with the relevant departments responsible and have taken appropriate measures to avoid recurrence.
At the same time, we are all delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Kuala Lumpur!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I and my parents stayed here, in two rooms, for 5 days and 4 nights.

The hotel is very luxurious, very clean, with marble floors in the bathroom and rest of hotel, and the Club room floors have timbre like flooring - making the room very colonial in feel.

We were upgraded to a Club Room, which was excellent and very generous of the hotel, as the rooms were HUGE, and the bathroom was GIGANTIC - the toilet is separate and well spaced in a separate cubicle, whilst the shower alone is housed in a very very big marble cubicle - four people could've showered in there at one time haha! The shower is a handshower afixed to the wall, so that means it is mobile which is great! And there was a marble counter to put your bathing products on.

The only slight problem i had was when i used the separate toilet room - although there is a hose there to wash yourself, there is no counter to put your soap or washing products! My parents also found that a bit of a hassle as you had to keep your soap/gel on the floor or on the toilet roll dispenser and watch it so it wouldn't fall to the floor! I guess if you're the kind of person who doesn't wash after using the toilet, you won't have this problem, but for those who are hygienically inclined to wash with soap and water after the loo, this was a slight annoyance.

The bath tub was big and clean and next to the sink. Of course, being a 5 star hotel, plenty of bathing ammenities are included from loofahs, to bath salts, to shower, shampoo, conditioner, shower cap, and emery boards. I took two baths in the bathtub, and it was sooooooooo relaxing, as you can open a wooden panel and watch the television in the room - right from the bath!

The bed was a huge King bed, high too, and very comfortable with plenty of pillows. The television had only one cable movie channel though - I think it was Star Movies. I wish there were more channels showing movies. Anyway, you don't come to a hotel to watch movies, so i guess this was just a slight problem. The television however seemed to be on some timer and would switch itself off after a few hours - when I spoke to the Guest Relations Officer over the phone (after my trip, [see below for more info]) - she said it shouldn't do that and she'll look into it.

The room also had a writing desk, an arm chair and leg rest (next to the bed), a wardrobe and drawers, and a huge balcony with a couple of chairs - perfect for just relaxing outside and taking in the environment. I didn't want to leave the room at all - it was that relaxing and comfortable!

Having said that, I did notice just a couple of problems - the door dividing mine and my parents' rooms was stained, and the curtains had some stains too, as did the writing desk chair in my parents' room. Also, my shower head was loose, which wasn't a problem, as I just tightened it myself. But for a five star hotel, these problems were niggling. In fact, I wanted to give this hotel a rating of 4 1/2 stars cos of these irritations, however tripadvisor doesn't seem to have 1/2 ratings and a 4 would be too harsh as it's a very lovely hotel.

As i was deciding what to do, i got a letter from the hotel - a very lovely reply to the feedback form I filled out where i did point out these problems above. I was very taken aback at getting a reply, as rarely do hotels bother with feedback forms, much less reply to each and every problem I wrote about!!! The letter assured me that they had taken care of the stains and shower head - which was very VERY nice of them to write to me about - hence I think they absolutely deserve the 5 star rating - as mistakes happen all the time, with hotels having hundreds of rooms, but to show they CARE to rectify the problems show they really are a five star quality hotel and deserve a five star rating here!

The hotel serves brekkie in Warisan Cafe, and the breakfast is really good with plenty of items to choose from - you'll be stuffed till tea/dinner time!! Okay i have to say this, as in ALL restaurants, some items are just alright, and some are wonderful. The first morning, my made-to-order omelette was not that nice, but on the third morning, made by another kitchen staff, it was really very tasty! So there was a bit of hit and miss with the dishes. However, things that were consistently great, and you shouldn't miss are these - the Roti Canai and the accompanying curry (the curry changed every morning) - yum, yum, yum, sooooooooooooo super duper yummy i had to have these almost everyday - and the soya bean milk - this is kept near the cereals and milk - sooooooooooo super yummy and home made!! Don't miss these!!!

The Business Centre here is very nice, with private rooms where you can use the internet to your heart's content. Charges were rather minimal, i can't quite remember how much but i remember it was reasonable. You can also lounge here and read the papers and buy drinks to keep you company.

We ordered room service a few times, and I thoroughly recommend the Warisan Club sandwich, which comes with fries. Maybe we were hungry but it was good grub! The pizza was alright, but it too huge for me to finish, so ended up throwing away half, so if you order the pizza maybe share it with someone. The sandwiches are more suitable for one person and was delicious. My dad ordered something Asian - like rice or noodles - and he said it was okay, not bad.

I didn't use the pool or jacuzzi spa pool but I did visit both, the pool looked inviting although a bit small and the jacuzzi pool looked very relaxing - sad thing is that there's construction around this area, no fault of Royale Chulan of course - but it takes away from the ambiance of relaxing by the pool. I hope they finish construction quickly, but usually this takes a long time in Malaysia, sigh! Maybe try the pools at night when construction should stop.

The hotel's marble lobby is also very nice, with beautiful mahogany coloured arm chairs and sofa sets - very opulent and lovely to sit and wait for your ride to places. One night there was a band playing at the Lobby - and they were playing one of my favorite songs - Jessie's J's Price Tag! I am unsure when they perform, as other nights the Lobby was very quiet. Anyway, it seems a nice place to chill with drinks and listen to the band.

A wonderful thing about Royale Chulan is that it is located right opposite the Badan Warisan, which is KL's Cultural and Heritage Centre/Body and is housed in a beautiful white colonial bungalow - we rarely see any more of these so do walk across and visit the building.

[You'll notice the same timbre colonial style flooring in the Badan Warisan bungalow that you find in Royale Chulan's Club rooms - that's what i mean by Colonial style in the room!]

For 10 Ringgit, the Badan Warisan also has a tour of the Rumah Penghulu, which is really really delightful for those of you who love exploring heritage and historical buildings to learn how people used to live in those times and places. The tour is very extensive, and the young man who took us was very knowledgable, and we had a good long chat with the manager of the Badan Warisan too.

The Rumah Penghulu is a traditional village hut that was found in the middle of the forest somewhere in Malaysia, then dismanteled and reassembled in KL - it's a historical and national treasure if you ask me!

One thing i don't understand is why they don't allow photos of the Rumah Penghulu - in these days of social media, surely THAT would entice more people to come for the tour! As it was, it was just me and my mum and another French family of 3 (and their interpretor) on the tour! So it was pretty personalized, but i wish more people knew of this historical monument and visit it - and seeing that Royale Chulan is literally opposite, if you stay here, do pay the Badan Warisan and Rumah Penghulu a visit.

Above everything - the top notch furnishings, the big room, the relaxing super huge bathroom, the timbre flooring, the marble flooring, the lovely food - is the superb staff! Every one of them - and i mean EVERY one of them - was super friendly, very accomodating, and really super duper nice!

When we arrived at the hotel, we had had a hard time at the airport, as the airport/airlines screwed up a lot of things, and to top it off we were insulted by the cab driver who took us to the hotel! But the doormen were super sweet and even told us who to complain to about the cab driver, and they even got us a cab later that evening, ensuring us that this driver had basic manners!

Everytime we left the hotel, the doormen and the staff would make it a point to talk to us, and even the Business Centre manager and staff, the Warisan Cafe staff and hotel reception staff were always so friendly and smiling - GENUINELY NICE - something i rarely find these days at so many hotels - but here in Royale Chulan EVERYONE seems to be really really lovely! I can't tell you enough how much that makes a hotel stay all the more enjoyable!

Also, at one point I thought i had lost money in my hotel room - this was after I had returned home. I called up the hotel, and they were very efficient in reviewing tapes of the security camera in the hallway and looking up key logs of our rooms. The Guest Relations Officer as well as the Housekeeping Manager handled the matter very well and were quite fast in getting me the answers. Eventually I found my money wrapped up with my jewelry! But for awhile, I was unsure and thought something happened at the hotel, but now i know the hotel has really effective security, which means it is very safe for solo women travellers to stay here and feel protected.

The hotel also has free shuttle bus services to two shopping centres - Pavillion and KLCC. We chose the Pavillion, but found it to be like Singapore's ION - you ONLY find branded luxury goods here. Don't expect any discounted or cheap stores here - and if you came to KL to shop, chances are you're not looking for Prada or Gucci, but for cheap unbranded goods, so Pavillion is not the place. However, you can still take the bus here and then walk around, there were plenty of other malls around that would take you a 15 mnute walk or so. Be warned though that the shuttle bus is not that regular, so time yourself well. We didn't wait for the bus to return home as it wasn't coming for another 2 hours.

Don't worry though, there are plenty of taxis about town, Bukit Bintang, and even at the hotel itself. The blue ones are higher priced i am told, but they are metered. Some malls like Pavillion have the cheek to charge you money to use their cab stand! One cab came to leave a passenger - this cab was NOT waiting there for a passenger, they happened to leave someone - and the Pavillion crooks made my parents pay 2-3 bucks before we boarded the cab. The cabbie said that was WRONG, as they shouldn't charge when a cab comes to leave someone. So beware, there are a LOT of crooks in KL, even malls have them! They will lie to you that there's no more cabs and ask you to pay the 2-3 bucks, but in actual fact you can wait till a cab comes to leave someone and board for FREE - fight for this right, as we didn't know till after we boarded, but now you know so don't stand for this criminal and crookish behaviour!

And also, when you leave for the airport eventually (sigh!), the door men at this hotel can negotiate either a flat fee (which is better) or a metered fare for you. The flat fee turned out slightly cheaper actually than the metered fare - coz the KL airport is very far away. So I recommend you asking for a flat fee. Both flat or metered are cheaper than the hotel's airport transfer I think. In any case, there was always plenty of blue metered cabs at the hotel so getting around is very convenient.

Oh, and there's a hair salon in this hotel which is privately owned, just wanted to tell readers to make sure you confirm on the price - TWICE - especially if the owner is not there when you get your hair done. We ran into some conflict when the girl doing the hair quoted one price, and then later said another price. It was a matter of miscommunication, nobody really did anything wrong, but since the owner isn't there and the girls have to ask her for prices, just make sure you confirm every price before you start your hair.

The hotel also has a cinema which is being built the staff told me, so hopefully by the time you read this, you will be able to enjoy the movies at the lobby too!

So there you go, I think i've covered all the aspects of this hotel, because I had such a good time staying here, and i think anyone considering a stay in KL should choose Royale Chulan. Seriously, the hotel and rooms are clean, opulent and fabulous - and the staff is beyond-belief fantastic and friendly - and security is top notch too. So well done Royale Chulan - i will certainly stay here everytime I'm in KL!!!

Room Tip: Try asking for an upgrade. We got one without even asking! Very generous of this hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Apricot_Chutney

Dear Apricot Chutney,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!
Thank you for taking time to write a very detailed review on our hotel. I am very pleased that you were well received at our hotel and enjoyed your stay here. Glad to know that you had the advantage to visit some of the historical and attractive places in KL . However, we would also would like to apologise to you on the shortcomings that you experience in your room & parents room. Rest assured we are constantly taking measures to ensure improvements with regards to maintenance and the quality of our service.
Overall, may I say that my team and I are very grateful to hear of your good experience throughout your stay in our hotel.
Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We hope to be serving you again soon.

Reviewed 19 December 2013

A hotel with character not one of those multi-storied stale something. Huge impressive lobby extremely friendly staff specially as you get off the cab the big smiles and greetings give you a welcome feel. Big breakfast spread. Big rooms for a 4 star.Small things could be improved - phone was not connected, concierge not accurate , cutlery could have been cleaned better. Room was not cleaned in spite of leaving a door note and turning on switch for the same.Place has a lot of character close to town centre but away from the noise, Great experience.

Room Tip: Our room faced the courtyard, good view , no noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Swapna K
FSwoboda, General Manager at Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Swapna K,

On the behalf of my team, I apologise for the shortcomings that you experienced during your stay with us.
We have discussed this matters with the relevant departments responsible and have taken appropriate measures to avoid recurrence.

Franz Swoboda

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way to India and back. The check in staff were very friendly and the spacious room was exceptionally clean and comfortable. The buffet breakfast although quite extensive, was not as good as on our previous visits (2). Room service was good, but the dinner that we had was of poor quality. The hotel's location is fantastic. It is a short walk away from the Pavillion, Wang and BB shopping centres.
We will be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear richra812,

Warm greetings from The Royale Chulan Kuala Lumpur!

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review on us. We welcome all your feedback and comments. Thank you for the generally positive gestures and kind words though I do wish that our other fine dining restaurants would have enticed you to sample our award winning gastronomic fare. We hope that you will find time to visit Kuala Lumpur and evaluate us again as we constantly try to further improve our service and facilities .

Franz Swoboda