“Reasonable price yet convenient”
Review of Hotel YY38

Hotel YY38
Ranked #102 of 338 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Penang, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
“Reasonable price yet convenient”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

While I had read all mixed reviews in this chic and colourful hotel, I took my opportunity to experience it.
The room was clean and organised, filled with basic needs such as cool air-con, complimentary unlimited usage of wireless internet access, hot shower and a good night sleep after a long day ahead. Although there is no kettle in the room, there is a water dispenser located in the hall corridor. The hotel keycard needs to be scanned in the lift before it moves to the particular floor. On top of that, there are 2 buttons next to power switches in the room. 1 is Do Not Disturb while the other is Maid To Make Up The Room. There are a number of studio units which are suitable for a group of friends and family.
Staffs are helpful and knowledgeable. Complimentary car parking is provided for all in-house guests, however it is very limited.
The location is centralised - KK Mart is located next to the hotel and 7 Eleven is located in the junction (Tingkat Tong Shin). Food is not a problem at all as a burger stall is located in just opposite KK Mart, restaurants and bars are along the street and near to Jalan Alor & Jalan Bukit Bintang as well. Shopping??? Not an issue. It takes 5 minutes walk to the shopping haven in Jalan Bukit Bintang (Pavillion, Starhill Gallery, Fahrenheit 88, Lot 10, Sg Wang Plaza, BB Plaza).
Overall, I was quite satisfied with this hotel and recommend it to my friends and family. I will come and stay at this hotel again when I'm next in town.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Jalan Sahabat (next to apartments) are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 28 August 2012

This is indeed a budget hotel which is pretty good for the price you pay.
I had a pink non-smoking room on the 5th floor with a double bed. My room was very clean and well organised compared to the space available. I felt like in a teenage room with my pink walls, curtains and lights :) Hot water shower which was great after nearly two months of cold showers in Indonesia. They provide towels and shower gel/shampoo. You have space to put your bags, a small desk with a mirror, air-co and even a TV with English channels. Free water refill in the corridor. I am quite surprised with the previous comments actually. I had a different experience. First of all it is only RM19 from the LCCT airport and they leave you in front of the hotel. Same thing on the way back when you leave the city.
Then the location, for me ideal as I knew already the neighborhood and wanted to have a lot of facilities at a walking distance. Just down the street you will find the Tropical Spa for great massages (facial+Thai and compress massages, 2hours for only RM110), several places to enjoy delicious local food (you can eat prawns and noodles for only RM6), shops, malls, cinema, post office etc etc.
And of course with such activities around well indeed at night it is a bit noisy however I did not need earplugs and well I also did not expect that such a huge city will be quiet at night. I slept like a baby until 10 am. Plus you have a do not disturb button as in the standard hotel. Check out is at noon but you can get an extension until 2pm for free. They ask for a deposit in cash of RM50 that you get back when you leave. They have a 24hours check in so it is pretty convenient when you arrive late or go out. The woman at the reception is the most professional one and speak a very good English.
Oh and of course you also have the metro station at 5 minutes walking.
I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Well if you are noise sensitive maybe ask for the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Happy_Mag
Seoul
Reviewed 19 July 2012

This hotel was very budgeted hotel. The room was cleaned and changed towels everyday.
Location also good. Staffs were kind. Although little bit noised at night. Because 24hr outside restorants are next street.
If you are considering budget & location, I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: No durian allowed at hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Donna J
Pontevedra, Spain
Reviewed 6 July 2012

- This hotel was a nightmare. The sheets and pillowcases and hedreddon were smelly and dirty and with stains! The curtains, too! The towels were off-white; I mean not white anymore. If you're on a budget, still you and I can consider it. Just make sure the minute you enter the room that the sheets are not re-used. Sniff! Sniff! Sniff! Well, because in the second room where I stayed, it was not really that bad compared to the first one. Secondly, the walls were dirty. Thirdly, I was asked 200 MR deposit for the safety deposit key (office) which was refundable, though... Also, just a question: What's that filthy rug doing in the room? Please throw that away. Finally, there was no fridge in the room and no hand soap provided.

+ fast and free wi-fi; quiet place to stay; good location - close to Bukit Bintang, BB Plaza, Lot 10, Pavilion, etc.; helpful and accommodating staff; affordable room rates; hotel staff responded promptly to my requests; they were quick to answer the phone; they helped me find a taxi that agreed my price. The receptionist called a taxi for me. Thanks for that. :)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
SJ
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was very disappointed with this hotel. Gave it 2 stars for location and security at night. It's walking distance to Bukit Bintang shopping/eating area). At check-in the staff tried hard to give us smoking rooms. At our reservation, we requested non-smoking rooms. After a period of discussing if the hotel would be responsible for any of my health related issues, the staff finally gave us 2 non-smoking rooms. The rooms have basic minimum necessities. Stains are on the sheets. Towels with holes. Walls are dirty. No a/c in the hallway. Can only get wifi if you step out of the rooms (hallway or reception area). When I returned to KL, I spent a few more dollars to stay at Alpha Genesis Hotel across the street (a better choice if you can afford a few more dollars!)

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 June 2012 via mobile

Pros
Nice & simple lobby
Good staff
Good security
Near to convenience store
Near to cheap food eg ramly burger & kedai mamak
Room is minimal
Near to durian stall

Cons
Hard to find the area
Abit far from bkt bintang area
Very dark alley/passageway to the hotel
Dirty bed sheet
Small room
Black stain in toilet

Overall a good cheap hotel. U get what u pay

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank NurainZolkiple
Johore Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was there on a business trip, all I want is a comfy room to go back to after work. But all I get was stained bedsheets, stained towel, stained pillow case, stained floor mat, stained everything... They did not provide safety deposit box inside the room, you have to pay a deposit of RM200 for a deposit box in their security room and it is very inconvenient. Their housekeeping staffs are all men and they wore shoes inside the room, walking all over, leaving shoe stains! Unbelievably bad experience! I complained to the owner, and he insisted to come to my room when I said the room is dirty, after he saw the bedsheets and floor mats, he replied "this is not dirty, it's stain, I believe you have cleanliness related phobia". Wow, "great" excuses and "great" manners! This is my first time and certainly my last! My advice, if you like a hotel with the creativity of theme "stained room", you can definitely try there!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business