“Truly boutique in the heart of Changkat”

ANGGUN BOUTIQUE HOTEL
Ranked #4 of 334 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Truly boutique in the heart of Changkat”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I'm very well versed with all the B&B along the streets of Changkat BB. So I had the ooportunity to stay the weekend at Anggun. Initially I thought it was the hotel which is across where it is, but I got it wrong when Waze directed me to the destination.

I love the entrance and the hotel lobby. Open space, very welcoming and informative with all tourist attractions that you need as a tourist. My surprise came later when I checked in room 101. Ground floor and the first room on the left. At first I thought it wouldn't be convenient as I worry of the noise but this all got me wrong.

The room was superb. I love the details. Truly boutique. What I look forward for any stay in a hotel is the bed. And checked, superb comfy bed. I love the fact that I can buy DVDs and have them played on the flat screen monitor TV.

I'm coming back again this weekend 5 July to stay for the night. Yes I live in the city, but the first good experience made me want to come back to enjoy that.

Friendly staff at the reception too. No pool or fitness centre, FYI.

Room Tip: The room I had was good. 101.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jude B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

The other reviews have pretty much said it all about this delightful hotel. It is quiet and clean, with friendly and helpful staff. The location is quite central, on a dirty, busy, *interesting* street with restaurants ranging from "local colour" to "international mid-market", massage parlours (the respectable kind) and other, some not so salubrious, hotels. Much more interesting than a standard 5-star hotel strip where everything is sterile and hiltonized. You can get well fed and nicely pampered, all within a 200m walk from the hotel, and all at a price that to Westerners is stupidly cheap.

We were arriving in KL at about 6am after a long flight from Europe. I emailed Anggun a few days ahead and asked if we could possibly access our room early. The answer was, reasonably enough, that it would be OK if our assigned room was vacant the night before. As it turned out that didn't happen, so we had to hang around for a while. We expected to have to wait until 2pm, but were paged at about 10am and told our room was ready. A nice touch that showed they really were attentive to our needs.

Our room, 305 on the 3rd floor was clean and comfortable, albeit not very big. The only window looks out on the internal atrium. The bathroom was modern and clean, with a toiletries supply that included dental cleaning kits. A very nice and welcome touch was power outlets by the bed that will take any kind of plug, be it US, UK, EU or AU types, something all hotels should have. The room contained a PC hooked up to the TV, though its Internet connection didn't work. That was no problem for us, as the free WiFi worked fine.

Minor negatives are that noises in the atrium penetrate the rooms, as do the sounds of chairs scraping on the floor above (in our case the roof-top restaurant). Also, the in-room coffee making facility was just an electric jug and some hideous pre-whitened, pre-sugared instant coffee sachets, which means you can't get a decent cup of coffee after the breakfast-only rooftop restaurant shuts at 10am. They would do well to switch to American style drip filters in the rooms.

The rooftop restaurant offers a breakfast menu with a reasonable amount of choice. The coffee is robustly strong. The food was passable rather than delightful.

The best feature, though, is the staff. They were all friendly and helpful, and always did whatever they could to make our stay pleasant and comfortable. We would definitely go back if we were ever again stopping in KL.

Room Tip: Try to avoid 3rd floor if you intend to sleep in. The rooftop breakfast restaurant is directly above...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SPLatManOz
Mornington, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Decided to have a stop over on my way back from India. Chose this hotel thinking it would be a change from the glitz and glamour of hotel I had been in in India for many weeks. I was very disappointed. I was a single traveller and for the first time ever in all my travels could not book local tours from hotel because I was alone. I could have booked these tours but would have had to pay for 2 people before my booking could be accepted. This is highly unacceptable. There must be many more people who travel alone and expect to be able to join local tours as I have done in every other country I have visited. Staff very helpful. Room okay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank kiwing
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Being a frequent traveller to KL I decided to try a different style of hotel rather than the using the normal group hotels.
Unfortunately for a business traveller this hotel doesn't meet the grade. The hotel staff a very friendly and helpful but this comes with a lot on cons...
The roof-top bar was closed in the evening, the alternative on offer is a beer in foyer from a small fridge behind reception.
The are no restaurants or places to eat in the hotel other than breakfast on the roof, no facility for lunch or dinner.
No gym
No pool
No bar
It's in Bukit Bintang, noisy nite-spot, also a red-light district
Sleep quality poor due to the street noise and bars/pubs etc
Beds are the short "asian" style, if you are over 6 feet your legs will hand out the end.
Towels very thread bare, they are arranged as a pair of swans on the bed, you have to know to undo the art work and hang them in the bathroom.
Wifi drops out a lot.
I was booked in for 3 nights but checked out after one and went to the Intercontinental
The over-riding problem is the hotel is terribly over-priced, having virtually no facilities, the 5 star Intercon with every conceivable convenience is the same price, just no comparison.
Sorry to give you guys this poor review but what you are offering is a 2.5 star hotel at 5 star prices.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here request a room NOT over-looking the hotel front, too too noisy
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Anggun_Boutique, Manager at ANGGUN BOUTIQUE HOTEL, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
We really appreciated your valuable feedback and your patronage to Anggun. Truly sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience with your stay on arrival.

Anggun is situated right in the heart of KL, in the old city where the juxtaposition of calm and chaotic, modern and traditional, ugly and sublime, foreign and indigenous that makes this old part of KL so evocative. Truly, the area used to be a red-light district but that was yesteryears. Now, two doors away sells roti canai which many of our guests gives a thumbs up. 5 minutes walking distance are the night life of Changkat Bukit Bintang where bars and restaurants are aplenty while yards away further up stretch, there is Bukit Ceylon (Ceylon Hill) of soaring condominiums and service apartments whose residents and corporate people enjoy the night life and food here.

We apology that we could not change the natural ambience of our area and that we are not able to meet up to your expectations of a quiet sleep but we do have rooms that does not face the street for guests who prefers a quiet and romantic experience. We really appreciate to know if you had read anywhere that we had a gym, pool and bar before your arrival and we will investigate to make further improvement to ensure mis-information is not provided.

We thank you again for your comments on our room and services we will definitely take a serious investigation and make further improvement. We do hope though that the MPV limousine transfer on the day of your arrival, the phone SIM cards and pressing service which was included in your room rate was satisfactory. If you may consider to come back to KL again, I would like to invite you to meet with us so we can apologise for those rare incidents that happened to you in person. At Anggun, we take pride in ensuring our customer's satisfaction and love to see you smile at your departure. You may contact me through sharon@anggunkl.com.

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Arrived from the airport and was given a welcome drink whilst checking in.Staff were always helpful and polite.Good room and was pleasantly surprised how quiet the hotel was.Breakfast is served on the rooftop terrace and you choose an option from a menu not buffet style.Felt this area of the hotel was under used.

Now for the main criticism: On checking in I used a card for payment and it was declined twice.On checking out I used another card for payment.It wasn't until a few days after I left that the 2 declined payments had been authorised.I realsis that card payments can take a few days to process.But one month later I have heard nothing from the hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

When you first step into the Anggun it feels like an oasis from the hustle and bustle of Bukit Bintang. And by and large it is. The rooms are a good size, the beds very comfortable and all amenities good. The staff are very friendly and helpful and there's a nice rooftop restaurant where breakfast is served. This is cooked fresh from a quite lengthy menu and was really good, plus they offered us a packed breakfast the day we left and it was very good too.

The location is great for easy access to Jalan Alor, a must do eating experience as well as lots of other eating and drinking options. It's also a short walk to the Bukit Bintang monorail and just along from there a new air conditioned covered walkway runs to KLCC. The only downside for us was being in a room at the front facing the street. It's very noisy and the windows aren't double glazed. We needed a room with two beds so this was our only option, but if you don't need that then ask not to be at the front.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pat H
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I can highly recommend this place. It is perfectly located in the heart (but a quiet part of it) of Bukit Bintang - set in an old and nicely renovated building. At first I was a bit irritated to get a room without windows (well there were windows, but only to the hallway). But to be honest: How often do you actuall look out the window? So I didn't really care. The interior is very individual and nicely chosen. The staff was overall friendly and helpful. The beds are wonderful.

Room Tip: If you really need a window you have to book that!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo