“This is all you want from a hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #19 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Jakarta, Indonesia
“This is all you want from a hotel”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed here for three nights because I had three-days meeting at this hotel. This hotel located on the KL Golden Triangle and took me around 75 MYR (25 USD) from the KLIA. It's very near to the Petronas twin-tower (only 10 mins walk).
I arrived there by 7 pm and the check-in was fast. The famous cookie they gave was so delicious. The room was fabulous, bright and spacious. The bed was clean, cozy and they provide a Sweet Dreams pillow, which was really work for me. One unique thing was I could see the room from the bathroom. Yes, it's only separate by a clear glass. But, of course we have the option to block the view with the roller-blind. The bathroom was clean and they provided kits from Crabtree & Evelyn "Citron, Honey & Coriander" and they smell nice. The shower was really nice too, you should try the rain shower.
Next were the foods. On my first night, I was attended a welcome reception at the Cellar Door. The bar was perfect for hanging out. They served varieties of drinks and a bunch of delicious snacks. On the next day, I had my breakfast and lunch at Makan Kitchen Restaurant, which located on the 11th floor. They served three types of food. For breakfast, they served Western, Chinese, and Indian. For lunch, they served Malaysian, Chinese, and Indian. I give two thumbs-up for the food here.
The only negative part of this hotel was the internet. It's free, but you can only get connected through a cable in your room and the Wifi on the meeting room was on/off. They really should provide better internet connection through Wifi on every area of this hotel.
For transportation, they had hotel taxi, shuttle bus to famous tourist places, and also Ampang Park LRT station opposite of the hotel. If you want to take taxi back to KLIA, I recommend you ask for a budget taxi at the concierge desk. They will charge you 90 MYR (include toll). The hotel taxi is more expensive (160 MYR), so asked for budget taxi will save you a lot.

2 Thank miu85
Doubletree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear thea_imutz,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us especially the location, room, Sweetdream® pillow menu, bathroom amenities, variety foods & beverages in Makan Kitchen and Cellar Door.

I have noted your comments on the necessity to provide Wi-Fi service within the hotel, and we are working with the team for improvement although it may be not able to rectify quickly, however obviously these can always be improved.

I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Not sure why some said its well located... as compared to the Crowne Plaza Mutiara or Novotel I stayed before where location is really second to none. If you have not much choice and need to stay for 1 or 2 nights in the city, then DT by Hilton is just ok. Otherwise, I would look elsewhere.

Dear jerivory,

Balikpapan, Indonesia
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I stay for 5 night with my sister the room is so good with park view and the welcome cookies delicious. the lobby is very comfort and also the makan restaurant is very good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Fransisca S,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you and your family enjoyed the stay with us especially the room, Makan Kitchen Restaurant and I trust you all also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Booked because of its great reviews, and took their cheap upgrade "if available at check in" offer because we figured that after a night on a Malay sleeper train from Penang we might need some pampering [and we definitely did !]
Train gets in at 6.00 so arrived early morning - no problem they were friendly & welcoming, had an exec room ready & were still serving breakfast so please head straight up & take a huge, very choclatey chocolate chip cookie with you.
Room was great - very comfortable king sized Hilton bed, choice of pillows & lovely bathroom - most N American Hilton exec floor rooms aren't as good as this & Doubletrees certainly aren't.
Breakfast was stellar - western & asian, cooked + ommlettes + pastry + fruit + salad + excellent coffee & nothing was too much trouble for the servers.
We were out exploring KL all day so can't comment on lunch, but the evening happy hour beer was cold, the wine was good [which in Asia it isn't always] & the "snacks" were amazing - endless sushi & prawns & samosas & spring rolls & cheese & multiple varieties of cold cuts & sandwiches + brownies & cookies & fruit - and all of it fresh & very good indeed.
As the plates kept coming we quickly realized we wouldn't be able to eat dinner after it, and then noticed that for many guests it clearly was their buffet dinner....
All this and some of the most helpful & friendly service we've ever experienced
Downsides - only two & both will be hopefully fixed fairly soon
No in room wi fi & lounge wi fi doesn't work with Blackberries [there's some kind of conflict with their system] They told us they'll have a whole new wi fi system later this year but maybe check when booking ?
And although its right across the road from a subway stop, that road is a major 6 lane arterial which is under reconstruction so to cross it you have to use a high overpass with 35 stairs each side with luggage is definitely a work out. So you may want to take a cab ?

Room Tip: Upgrade to exec & enjoy
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear sewaterman,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us especially the room, Sweetdream® pillow menu, breakfast spread, cocktails & finger foods served in Executive Lounge and how the team looked after you and your friends.

I have noted your comment on the Wi-Fi service for Blackberry device, and certainly we will work with the team to improve this area as it is important for all guests. In particular I also noted your comment regarding the construction on outside, this is to provide a direct connection to the LRT (subway). The overpasses across Jl. Tun Razak and later Jl. Ampang are expected to be finished in the next 2-3 months. I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I trust you all also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you all back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

Shanghai, China
Reviewed 24 April 2012

What was good:
Early Check-in
Upgrade
Location
Lounge
Bed

Booked King Deluxe and receive an upgrade to King Exec courtesy of HHonors Gold.

This hotel is centrally located, opposite Ampang Park LRT, 6 stops away from KL Sentral ( if connecting from KLIA via the KLIA Express)

Taxi from KL Sentral costs 15rm via regular taxi and 25rm if via premium taxi.

Lounge is quiet and has a mini balcony offering somewhat good view of the KL Skyline. Staff is very professional.

Bed is standard Hilton Sweet Dreams bed and it is excellent!

What was "Bad"?
There is no in-room wifi but only wired internet. Normally, wired internet is sufficient but I am using a macbook air.

Breakfast at Makan Restaurant was a bit weird, thrice it was that someone tried to take my seat and once, a couple succeeded. I went to take more food and returned to find my table cleared and someone else sitting at it.

Breakfast at restaurant did not offer Nasi Lemak but the one at the lounge has.

Overall, it's a value for money hotel, given the perks I received however, I would like to check out the KL Sentral Hilton.

Dear IYuxiang,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us especially the location, room, Sweetdream®, Executive Lounge and how the team looked after you.

I have noted your comments on the necessity to provide Wi-Fi service in all guestrooms, and we are working with the team for improvement although it may be not able to rectify quickly, however obviously these can always be improved. In particular I also noted the Makan Kitchen issues, and certainly we will work with the team to improve all areas of service, as it is important for all guests. Please be informed Nasi Lemak for breakfast buffet will be served on rotation basis, and it’s also be available in Makan Kitchen ala-carte menu.

Mumbai
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights and had a very pleasant stay. The lounge at 36th floor provided some breathtaking views of the city. The pillow menu added the bit to a sound night sleep. The rooms were spacious with good views. The best part was this extremely well connected to various parts of city by train which is ideal for tourists.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Doubletree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear ketan_fans,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us especially the location, room, Sweetdream pillow menu and Executive Lounge facilities on Level 34. I trust you both also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton soon!

British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stopped here for two nights and was impressed with the quality of the room and the hotel in general. Check-in was a bit slow and had to wait, but was offered a seat in the lobby and a Doubletree Cookie as compensation so it was not a great inconvenience. Exectutive lounge was very nice with excellent evening offerings of food and wines. Would like to specially give praise to one lounge trainee, Manisha, who was always smiling and making guests feel welcome.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Doubletree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear ronan32,

Thank you for staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback on the hotel.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the stay with us and how the team looked after you. I will certainly pass on your message to the team.

I also noted your comment regarding the speed/efficiency of check in, and we are working with the on training to improve all areas of service. I trust you also enjoyed our famous DoubleTree cookie to all guests at check-in as a hallmark of our brand.