“Great place to stay with the kids” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur

DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #19 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Sydney, Australia
“Great place to stay with the kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel with lots of facilities for kids. Wished we had stayed longer. As a family we had lots of fun by the pool. There is a mall with a food court downstairs with a bakery and lots of different food for the kids should you choose not to eat in the hotel. Hotel's Buffet Breakfast was delicious there was a huge variety and lots of choices. Our kids loved it. Nice touch from the hotel for providing each room with cookies and the tea at the check in counter was good too. Only complain will be that there was no extra blankets or pillows in the room.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Bel1a,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I am delighted that you & your family had taste our warm & caring service - along with our delicious chocolate cookie at check-in and you found our breakfast served in Makan Kitchen to your liking. I have noted your comments on the extra blankets and pillows and I apologize for this. The team should have proactively prepared in room. the direct guest feedback is an important tool for our evaluation of our success.

I look forward to welcoming you & your family back soon.

Regards Ian Barrow, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Penang, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

I had 5 days 4 nights stay in this hotel and overall it is quite a nice experience. I had stay in this hotel before and came back for new year count down in KLCC. It just located next to a subway station and close to embassies.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Dear Ching Beng S,

Thank you for staying with us again.

I appreciated you taking your times to share your feedback on the hotel. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the stay and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Everything about our stay at Doubletree was great. Friendly & helpful staff, nice pool area and great restaurant and supermarket downstairs. Close enough to Petronas Towers to walk, and great concierge facilities to book taxis or give direction. Excellent value.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sarah C,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the hotel.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the stay especially the location, swimming pool, Concierge service, and The Intermark mall facilities. I look forward to welcoming you back when travel brings you here.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Great hotel. We had two connecting rooms over Christmas. Very spacious and stylish rooms with everything you could need (except a bathtub). A tiny amount of noise from the railway on our side but it didn't keep us awake. We all loved the cookies. We had breakfast one day and it was amazing with lots of lovely Asian dishes as well as western ones. The only thing missing was a 'pork area' with bacon etc but maybe it's culturally unacceptable in Malaysia to offer this even if it's separated from the other food (which is what they'd do in Indonesia for example). The pool is big and beautiful. Others complained that it's in the shade but I think that's a good thing when it's hot outside. There's a kids' pool and Jacuzzi area to the main pool, and a good gym.
The location feels pretty central even though on the map it appears to be on one side of the city centre. The shuttle bus service is just OK as there are only 10 seats available, but better than nothing, and taxis and trains are easy. There are a few shops including a supermarket in the same building as the hotel which is convenient. The Ampang Park shopping centre over the road is really only just for Muslim clothing, but there are lots of more mainstream/ international shops nearby including KLCC which is walking distance. Staff are pleasant, helpful and courteous.
So -a very good option and I'd not hesitate to book again.
Why not 5 stars then? Just because of the transport to the airport booked through the hotel's taxi desk. We paid the 160 RM fee to the desk and were told this was inclusive. The taxi then ran the meter, up to 130. The driver then made a huge fuss insisting on us paying the tolls, surcharge to airport on top of the 160 we'd paid at the hotel (not the basic 130 which is clearly 'plus plus'). This made me stressed and gave a bad impression of the hotel and Malaysia's attitude towards tourists. The driver was not a hotel employee but was referred to by the hotel taxi dispatcher as 'my driver', so the hotel is letting itself down here. The hotel should either have drivers charge the meter rate ++, or have a flat all inclusive hotel rate and be clear to drivers that they must not ask for more at the destination.

Room Tip: The higher the better. On one side there's a view of the towers, we didn't have this.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DoubleTree-KL_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear DavidLD12,

Thank you for taking times to share your feedback in details.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay especially the location, our delicious chocolate cookie, the room and breakfast buffet in Makan Kitchen. I have noted your feedback on the airport transfer arrangement and I apologize for the disappointment you must felt whilst this is operated by a 3rd party. Certainly we will work with the transportation company and I agreed that this will affected the hotel reputation. Nevertheless, I appreciated your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you when travels bring you back.

Kitcat22
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

After spending nearly a week here, I've seen the really good and the oh-oh things. Very convenient location for Ampang Park Light Rail Train (LRT) Station. And the public transit is fantastic for getting around Kuala Lumpur! Even if you need to take a taxi to get from the nearest station to your actual destination, the trains avoid the traffic, tolls and troubles of street traffic.
Back to the Doubletree: Nice buffet breakfast at the Exec Lounge, and happy hour there was dinner as well. Very nice.
The bedlinens are remarkably soft, comfortable. I had trouble with the down comforter and pillows, and asked for an alternative. See pics for lumpy and poorly made bed after housekeeping put on a "foam comforter". Housekeeping mgmt replaced that with a standard blanket and a box of chocolates the next day.
On our 4th day, there was a serious flood from another room out into the hallway. Water vacs and fans...then an overdose of air freshener the next day...now bad smells. Housekeeping said it was an AC drainage flood from the roof into the neighbor's room, then into the hall.
I was standing at the bay window, enjoying the view from the room and looked down to notice the poorly vacuumed edges. And a peanut. And dusty debris. So then I looked under the beds to assess deep housekeeping procedures. Big mistake. Should not have looked.
Lastly, I unfurled the bedside reading light to find months of dust!
All in all, I'd go back. And I'd be hoping that the housekeeping was up to Hilton's par on the next stay.
Oh, and when they brag about their "Shuttle Service" to a dozen sights around town, don't hold your breath. We tried THREE times. And every time they said "It just left", even when it was 5 or even 10 minutes before departure time. Once or twice and I'd think it was just a timing error. But three times? Yes, it's first come, first served, but three times?

Room Tip: Having only stayed in one room, it's hard to say. Higher floor had better view, I'm sure. Bu...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Kitcat22,

Thank you for taking times to share your feedback on the hotel.

I do understand that your disappointment with the consistent problems you have faced in the hotel, and I also appreciate the frustration you must feel having to experience the poor service and dirty room. I sincerely apologize that we failed to deliver an acceptable service. I also appreciate you taking the time to show us the cleanliness issue before you departed, so we can pinpoint the areas for better improvements.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your disappointing experience, and I hope we have the opportunity to provide better service in future for you.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

I had spent 2 nights at Double Tree, KL with great appreciation on its location, convenient access from LRT, and cleanliness. The room was new, in style, well furnished, neat and good clean smell. View from 19th Fl of my room window was astonishing along with front room view of the twin tower and KL tower. The staffs were cheerful and friendly. Even though there was noisy from other rooms came in from time to time, overall, I rated highest score for this hotel and would highly recommend for you to come experiencing Double Tree together. Small thing was needed to be mentioned is food taste in breakfast catering. There was not as tasty as it supposed to be or maybe I am not get used to those malaysian/indian taste. Other than that, I do enjoy staff service and quality of supplied resources from Double Tree. Thank you for being part of my impressive KL journey. We will meet again for sure!

Greetings!

Thank you for taking times to share your experience with us.

I am delighted that you had taste our warm & caring service and you found our location, room as well as the cleanliness to your liking. I appreciated your comments on the breakfast buffet and we will continue to review with the team for better quality. Nevertheless, I am happy to read all your notes and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

The last leg on a two week trip to Singapore and Malaysia and it looks to be a great start to our final leg. Finally a hotel that feels truly 5 star and to think we paid at least double or triple the price for other five star ( even 4 star ) hotels on our trip. This was by far the cheapest (even over the new year period) but feels 10x more extravagant - from the moment you walk in to the lobby to the stylish rooms which are spacious and modern. Clean as if it were new. We can see the towers from the hotel so it appears to be a great location also. We arrived a bit late and though we had to wait a little for our rooms, the staff were friendly and the cookies upon check in are a nice touch.. The only thing with the room was that they forgot to empty the bin which judging by the contents, the last guest sneaked in a ciggy or two!! Bad guests!!!
We just scoffed down our room service which comes with its own table and thoroughly enjoyed each bite... Though the prices are significantly higher that what you would probably find on the streets here, for a deliciously good meal in the comfort of your room, no flies, heat, crowds, funky smells.... And in comparison to what you would pay at in any other 5 star western hotel.... It's hard to beat!...
Looking forward to the rest of our stay.... Will definitely recommend!!!!

• Stayed December 2013
Dear chokogom,

Thank you for taking times to share your feedback on the hotel.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and taste our warm & caring service - along with our delicious chocolate cookie at check-in. In particular I noted your comment on trash bin issue and I apologize for the overlooked. I appreciated your feedback and certainly will continue to work with the team on training for better service. Nevertheless, I am happy to read all your notes.

I look forward to welcoming you when travel brings you back.