“Ok stay; not too nitpicky about it”

Hotel Arenaa Mountbatten
Ranked #90 of 349 Kuala Lumpur B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Booked through Agoda. For the price paid, was quite satisfied. Sure, the room is a bit worn-down with slight peeling of the wallpaper, the bathroom is a bit of squeeze, but overall, I do love the room's decor and the bed is really comfy. A bit of a noise issue with neighbours, and you cannot escape the traffic/LRT noise but it's not too bad. Although a little puzzled there's only 2 satellite channels offered but the main ones like TV1, TV2 and TV3 are not. A bit of a walk to the nearest LRT station i.e. Masjid Jamek station but area is relatively safe, even at night. But hotel is not recommended for families though, or older folks.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 September 2013

The boutique hotel is just awful. Th rooms are dirty, I moved room 3 times due to a wet bed, no tv and aircon, and eventually just walked out of the hotel as the last room offered stank of cigarette smoke. They offered no refund. This is the worst hotel I have ever been to. None of the room safes work, all rooms have pealing wallpaper and suffer from damp, and are extremely noisy as they are next to a busy elevated rail network with trains and cars buzzing by 24/7. I booked a " junior suite wit jacuzzi" which conjured images of a really nice room, well, the junior suite is the same as the rest of the rooms, they just threw a tub with jets in each of the rooms. It's a hovel, and I would strongly suggest you do not stay there. It is located next to the rail network, but right next to the tracks so you can only imagine the terrific noise.

Room Tip: Go to the other hotel a couple of blocks away, arenaa luxury apartments. They are not by a long shot...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank andy h
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I'l start with the positives... The decor was nice enough, and the power shower was superb. Location was also great - central and handy for Chinatown and other explorations on foot or by monorail. There were, however, many negatives: Firstly the corridors were very dark - and on my floor had dim red lights making it feel a bit like a hooker district! The monorail went right past the window of my room so it was very noisy most of the time. The free wifi did not work the whole time I was there, despite being given new codes 4 times before I gave up. The staff in general were pretty unhelpful and unorganised (although in all fairness I did get a proper answer to 2 out of my many questions so some level of service at least!), which among other things resulted in me nearly missing my onward flight to Thailand as the message had not been passed on between reception workers to book me a taxi at the right time! So overall a bit of a average to sub average stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed two nights in a "luxury" dorm. The design of the room was nice but there aren't no more good things to say about my stay at the Arena Hotel.
The stuff was really unfriendly and it was hard to communicate with them in english. On my sheet were bloodstains. I asked for a new one but didn't get one. The toilet and the shower were in the dorm, only separated with a glass plate. Defacto no privacy!
I booked the room for 3 nights but decided then to stay only 2 nights. There was no chance to get my money back for the third night.

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed for 3 days in August 2013
Location : 5 minutes walk to Train Station, Many eating joints in the vicinity
Cleanliness : I found cockroaches besides my bed, had to request the staff to clean the bed before i could sleep.
Showers : No toiletries, convenient, shower was good
Bed : Linen wasn't proper, no blankets provided, bed was okay, Could hear the train all the time
Staff: A met a guy by the name Sajid, really helpful guy, good knowledge about the city, Thanks
Recommendation: Its okay to stay if you want something cheap, Wouldn't recommend for a long stay

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in one of the dorm rooms in August 2013. My bed was fine (comfy!) but it didn't come with any covers. Luckily I had my sarong but I also had to use my towel because it was cold with the air con! My room was right next to the train tracks, and even my industrial strength earplugs couldn't keep the noise out so I didn't get much sleep while I was here. It looked like everything was kind of falling apart; ie my side light didn't work so I had to use the one meant for the bunk above mine, as there wasn't actually a bunk above me - the poor girl who stayed next to me actually had to sleep on a mattress which was on the floor! Also it was annoying having to go downstairs and ask for a new wifi code all the time -you have to log in with a username and password and they run out after a couple of hours so you need to go and get a new one. Why not just have one password key to link up to the network?! I didn't see any bugs in my dorm however, and wasn't bitten while I was there. Location was brilliant though - and my main reason for staying at the hostel. As someone else has said - not awful, but wouldn't recommend.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I have mixed feelings about this place, the location is incredible, it is literally no more than a 10 minute walk to anywhere, everything on the doorstep.

The room is funky and small, could have done with a better clean and we shared it with small cockroaches, which you kind of expect in Asia in lower priced places. The windows were filthy which actually stopped the light from coming in and the sky train was literally a meter from our window, so if you are a light sleeper, pick a room on the higher lever or pick another hotel because it is situated on a busy road and is never quiet.

There was one guy at reception who was lovely, when I requested someone cleaned out room properly he got it done and was very friendly, the rest of the staff were absolutely appalling, rude, couldn't be bothered and were more interested in watching films on the check in computer. Barely acknowledged our existence for our 5 night stay. The staff in the attached diner were even ruder (if that is possible), the girl
Working there must have been having one hell of a bad day when we got there because I don't think I have ever experienced a waitress who could have cared less!

Having said all of the above, we had a great time in KL and if you are on a budget and this is all you can afford, then it's a fair option in the city.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kuala Lumpur
Manhattan Business Hotel TTDI
Manhattan Business Hotel TTDI
#140 of 347 in Kuala Lumpur
Arenaa Star Hotel
Arenaa Star Hotel
#197 of 347 in Kuala Lumpur
Manhattan Business Hotel Damansara Perdana
Manhattan Business Hotel Damansa...
#26 of 49 in Petaling Jaya
#56 of 347 in Kuala Lumpur
Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Q Hotel Kuala Lumpur
#200 of 347 in Kuala Lumpur

Been to Hotel Arenaa Mountbatten? Share your experiences!