“Eat. Pray. Love. Just do it!”

Be Tourist Malaysia Heritage
Kuala Lumpur Heritage Food Tour
Ranked #10 of 80 Tours in Kuala Lumpur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For anyone who wants to understand the many facets that make up Malaysia today, start with a stroll through Kuala Lumpur's oldest neighborhood. As you discover the heritage sites of KL, a tin mining settlement that has grown into a thriving metropolis, you'll also hear stories of what brought Chinese and Indian immigrants, the trades they practiced and their traditions and beliefs, many of which endure today. Sample a variety of authentic foods and see where different communities worship. Eat with locals, experience the places they live and pray and fall in love with a city and a people!
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I am Malaysian by birth and although consider myself familiar and comfortable with Kuala Lumpur, having travelled and stayed there every year since my teens, I took the opportunity this year on 25 May to join the Eat, Pray, Love tour with my sister-in-law (who had never travelled overseas before).

What a wonderful experience it was!
Our tour guide Erina Loo was a magnificent story teller; and passionate about the preservation of the "living heritage" of KL. All too soon, the places we visited on the tour will be gone due to the inevitable pace of modernisation, globalisation and progress.

For me, it was a tour which harked back into my childhood memories of KL - wet markets, strange yet delicious smells from food stalls in alley ways, incense filled temples and the searing heat off both the sun and the pavement. I have always loved KL but after this tour and equipped with Erina's historical accounts and anecdotes and information, I found so much more to love (and most importantly, so many more places to eat).

For my sister-in-law, the tour was an action packed 6 hours of pure wonder. Having never left Australia before, the tour was a wonderful orientation for her to KL and Malaysia.

Erina discussed KL history and the impact of the various waves Chinese and Indian immigration; let us discover the melting pot of Malaysia by tasting an enormous variety of local foods; and showed us first hand how multiculturalism functions in every aspect of every day in KL.

For my 11 year old daughter, she loved the food and the temples and the stories; and meeting the other guests in our group. She also loved learning more about my own heritage which gave her some further insight into the "why" of the who I am.

If you are intending on bringing children on the tour - be warned it is very hot, sweaty and a lot of listening is required.

I must also commend the Be-Tourist office for their excellent administration, communication and organisation (this is usually lacking when in Asia) of the booking process and tour guidance. Their efficiency and friendliness gave me much assurance that I was dealing with a professional team with integrity and passion for their jobs.

Next time I'm in KL, I'll absolutely be joining another of their tours.

Well done Be-Tourist and keep up the great work!

5  Thank tric0660
BeTourist1031, Owner at Be Tourist Malaysia Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Dear Valued Guest :

Thanks for sharing your love of the city and country to us. (Terima Kasih)
The world is getting smaller as everyone is travel for many objectives and have different expectations .

Be Tourist Team and Erina always wish to share the real and Love to everyone.

Hope to see you back and sharing the 1Malaysia Truly Asia experience with you lot more.

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Be Tourist are fabulous! I ended up taking three tours with them, Eat, pray and love, the Malacca tour and then a tour that went to among other things the Batu Caves and the fireflies In Kuala Sengalor. The eat, pray and love tour was so interesting and fun, we learned so much and ate us through four hours, it was a great and fund tour. Then too be able to walk around Malacca again with our fabulous tour guide Leng who comes from there and taught us everything from food, history and conservation efforts was truly so excellent. It would have been a real miss to have gone there by oneself. David took such care of us all each step of the way and is a very good driver. Then the last trip went to the Royal Selangor visitor center famous for its pewter products which was so interesting and well worth a visit, then the Batu caves and then on to see the fireflies with a fantastic meal before that. It was some of the best food I have had during my time in Malaysia and that includes having stayed at Mandarin Oriental (which was also fab). The Be Tourist guides are genuinely interested in culture and history which make them all very knowledgable, sincere and another big plus is that Be Tourist is so flexible and that range from accommodating needs concerning everything from transport, your specific interests and food preferences. Again fantastic guide and driver! Be Tourist are professional, very knowledgable and FUN!

BeTourist1031, Owner at Be Tourist Malaysia Heritage, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Dear Valued Guest :

Be Tourist Team appreciated your engaging comments . The satisfactions from you are pushing us to the great steps to climb up another achievement .

Thanks for sharing with us the wonderful times while you in Malaysia.

Selamat Jalan dan Jumpa Lagi. ( Wish you a pleasant journey home and see you again .)

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Our guide, LeNg was exceptional. Clearly the neighborhoods we visited had much personal meaning to her. I have never been on a tour where I felt I was seeing the “real” city, not just the popular tourist sites. We visited three religious sites, and for street food stalls (amazing food!) There was considerable emphasis on the minority Chinese and Indian communities, but not enough, in my view, on the majority Malay population, or the smaller minority groups. Other than these issues, I found the tour well worth my time. Thanks to Be Tourist for a great four hours!

1  Thank citydock

Dear Valued Guest :

Thanks for the engaging comment. Be Tourist Team and Leng wish to thank you for the delightful day and great experience with us. .

Every tour is always a reason behind that is base on the strong history background and uniqueness of the sites . Hope to have you with us to explore the real malay community in our other exploration .

Terima Kasih ( Receiving your love) Means Thank you in Bahasa Malaysia.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We went on a Saturday morning tour, and glad I booked in advance because it was full. Although it is a 4-5 hour walking tour, you have plenty of rest while you eat, or visit the temples / mosques. The guide, Sean was very fun and entertaining. We were on a business trip, but I guess you never get to know these places if you're attended by business partners or Expats.

Dear Valued Guest :
A pair of local eyes and a thoughtful mind has made the Be Tourist team and the tours are different.

We wish in the end of the day ,tourism is not just a tour but feelings and hands on experience will change the perception and brings respects towards harmony . Sustainable and responsible.

Thanks for the support and encouraged.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

You know the road less travelled? You actually walk it with the Malacca tour- taking us places we would normally not have heard of! We hardly ever met tourists when we walked, it was almost like an exclusive insider's view of Malacca. Little bits of information that we were privy to! Don't worry! Am not gonna tell!
Leng and David were like warriors, guiding and guarding us- keeping an eye out!
There is a lot to see and digest (both information and food!)- so take a while in the midst of the intensity to actually feel what you see! Dropping us back to our hotels and one of us to the airport in the group was superbly kind. Thank you for a lovely holiday!!!

Dear Valued Guest :
The Be Tourist Team : Leng and David had received you kindness . Terima Kasih ( In English translation : Receiving your love.)

The PROACTIVE measures is our first priority. Your enjoyment is our greatest satisfaction .
Looking forward your next visit.