“Can't recommend this tour highly enough”

Be Tourist Malaysia Heritage
Ranked #13 of 88 Tours in Kuala Lumpur
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: For anyone who wants to understand the many facets that make up Malaysia today, start with a stroll through Kuala Lumpur's oldest neighborhood. As you discover the heritage sites of KL, a tin mining settlement that has grown into a thriving metropolis, you'll also hear stories of what brought Chinese and Indian immigrants, the trades they practiced and their traditions and beliefs, many of which endure today. Sample a variety of authentic foods and see where different communities worship. Eat with locals, experience the places they live and pray and fall in love with a city and a people!
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I did the morning Eat, Pray Love tour, which focused on Chinese Buddhist & Indian culture, & I loved it so much that I signed up for the afternoon session as well, which was centred around Malay culture and cuisine. On both occasions the group was lead by Sean, who I thought was an excellent tour guide - extremely knowledgeable, empathetic, passionate, full of energy, & willing to adapt and extend the tour according to the group's interests.

Both morning & afternoon sessions of the Eat, Pray Love tour offer opportunities to see a side of Kuala Lumpur that most tourists never see. Sean's commentary, sense of humour & generosity of spirit smooth out the elements of culture shock & provide a context for all you experience. The food is fantastic, & the restaurants & street stalls are clearly researched thoroughly, so you can rest assured that any food you're served is safe.

These two tours were a highlight of my trip, & I really can't recommend them highly enough.

6  Thank anyrainyday
in 16 reviews
in 14 reviews
"banana leaf"
in 8 reviews
"would highly recommend this tour"
in 8 reviews
in 118 reviews
in 127 reviews
in 92 reviews

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is my 3rd tour with Be Tourist and it definitely won't be my last.
Just last week (8 July 2014) we participated in the MH004 "Selangor Culture and Nature Heritage Tour" and had an absolute ball.

This was my 2nd tour with Sean and I knew we were in safe hands. Because of Sean's passion for his job, his culture and heritage; and his lovely manner - it is so easy to relax and just enjoy the experience.

We visited the Royal Selangor Visitor Centre to learn about the economic impact of tin mining and pewter industries had on immigration and the forming of modern Malaysia. We visited Batu Caves and witnessed a Hindu ceremony and then travelled to Bukit Malawati to feed and play with the delightful silver leaf monkeys; and then to Kuala Selangor for an amazing seafood dinner before boarding a speedboat to see the fireflies.

It was an action packed afternoon and at no stage did we feel rushed or inconvenienced or an imposition. Along the way we made new friends with our fellow tour members and stopped for delicious authentic local snacks.

Other reviewers have commented that Sean does a bit of talking. Please remember that this is a "heritage" tour and that the Be Tourist organisation has a focus on educating tourists about the living culture and history of Malaysia; rather than just seeing the sites and souvenir stops - so this is part of what you sign up for. Every facet of the tour is aimed at providing you with an insight into the unique Malaysian culture - right down to the food choices at dinner.

Be Tourist is not the run-of-the-mill tour provider; they want to provide a meaningful, educational and valued experience each time.

The lessons and information learned are fascinating and interesting. My own heritage is Malaysian and through the Be Tourist tours I have discovered so much more to love about Malaysia and it's rich culture.

I am a frequent visitor to Malaysia and have tried tours with other companies, only to be disappointed in comparison to my experiences with Be Tourist.

1  Thank tric0660
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My girlfriend and I took the Eat, Pray, Love tour. Although we got there 30 mins late, the staff at their office were very helpful and led us to join the group. Our tour guide was Sean who was very friendly, sincere and accommodating. He was very knowledgeable, had great command of English and opened our eyes to various aspects of Malaysian culture such as religion, food and its history. You really do need to go on this tour with an empty stomach because you will be taken to different places to try a vast selection of food which range from having breakfast at a local Malaysian diner, sitting at a food market eating a selection of different Chinese noodles and then eating with your hands at an Indian restaurant.

Sean took us to a Buddhist temple, a Hindu temple, showed us the old buildings before everything became highly modernised, took us through Chinatown, Little India and more. He was very happy to answer any of our questions and was enthusiastic the whole time. All in all, it was a fantastic experience and I would highly recommend anyone to try this tour.

Thank you Be Tourist for an unforgettable time!

1  Thank PatCat2014
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My husband and I took our 15 year daughter on this tour. We thoroughly enjoyed every single minute, and didn't mind at all that the tour ran over time. If you want to really experience KL and immerse yourself in the culture, history and food, then this is the tour for you. You eat where no other Westerners eat, with the locals. The tour is really well planned and there is no way we could have experienced this on our own. You get a taste for the diversity of culture, food and religion within a short radius of the Central Market area. Sean, our enthusiastic tour guide, was informative, entertaining and always willing to answer any of our questions. He has a passion for the historical precinct and this shone through as part of the general commentary. At no time did we feel that we were rushed in experiencing the food or sights. We could spend more time looking at things that interested us, and were even lucky enough to see a wedding underway in the Hindu Temple we visited. Sean really looked after us, navigating the group through the traffic .We even felt more confident crossing roads ourselves after being with him. Thank you Be Tourist and especially Sean! We will never forget our time with you!