“An excellent café”

Price range: US$2 - US$6
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I come here every week. Philip has helped me hugely with my health. What is said by other 5 star reviewers is entirely correct. We just love it and keep coming back.

What I particularly like about the place is the integrity: the people who run it are what they say they are; they live what the values they espouse; they are genuine, friendly and concerned about their customers.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, bit it is ours!

1  Thank Mark F

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The food and drinks here are delicious - tasty, wholesome and guilt free! It just tastes like it is doing you good! Have eaten here more times than I can count (admittedly partly due to convenience) and each time it's a lovely meal. The smoothies are very nutritious and filling and could be a small meal/snack in themselves. One thing to note is that the meals can be quite different to what you would expect e.g the 'pizza' is 3 little cracker sized things which are best eaten as a snack or side (as advertised) unless you are on a diet. The flavours in some meals/salads are quite strong - the lamb is v tasty as is the mozzerella sandwich.

Staff are always cheerful even when it's full. Prices are reasonable considering it's all fresh and well prepared/presented. I will be back!

2  Thank Naomi832
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Delicious food and very easy to digest because of the quality and preparation of the food. I eat here 4-5 times a week as the food is that good! My favorite is the "living enchilada", pasta with tomato sauce with lamb or beef meatballs and then the apple crumble desert. Divine food! The carrot cake is also yummy and over 80% carrots. I love that they have Kangen water to hydrate my cells in such a positive say. The juicing drinks and cappuccinos are the best. Finding a restaurant like this is a dream come true and I wish I had this restaurant near my other home in the US.

2  Thank Holly D
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Everything is light, fresh and delicious on the menu - "real" food at it's best but I totally love the sushi rolls and the raw spaghetti. Definitely want to try the Lychee curry next time.
This is one of my favourite places to eat in KL. Guilt free divine food.
Living Food Bliss :D

1  Thank LDT-Belle
Reviewed 27 May 2013

It would be easier to write a book about this amazing restaurant than just a food critique; it is both a restaurant where you can find healthy and delicious food, and also where you can meet anti-aging/health/nutrition consultants (Philip and Stirling; father and son) who are happy to sit with you and discuss how the food their family (Philip’s wife Emily and daughter Ashley are the inspirational chefs) prepare daily can actually reverse sickness and promote health/wellness/anti-aging.

To describe the concept of the restaurant, it’s easiest just to provide the link to their own mission statement:

and, their definition of what living food is:

I am an expat who has lived/worked in Asia for over 30 years and who has lived in Kuala Lumpur for five years now. As the restaurant had not advertised much, I only found the location by accident while walking by about 4 months ago (I live about a 20-minute walk away and am thrilled to live so close to this incredible restaurant!). I am now a living food convert and loyal/regular customer : I’m absolutely thrilled to be living so close to a family/restaurant that is committed to making only the finest quality cuisine, which is not only good for my body but also tastes great; there are very few such type restaurants in all of Asia.

So much of the food on offer daily at Living Food is what I would love to be eating at home but do not have the time/resources/energy to prepare myself. Just about everything they prepare is made from scratch…or grown/sprouted, or ordered in from local farmers (who offer organic eggs, grass fed and free range meat/poultry, tofu, sprouted grains/seeds, etc., organic vegetables, farmed fish that are raised w/o additives/pollutants, etc.). The food they create is absolutely fresh and delicious and ultra-healthy!

The bread they bake is from their own sprouted seeds of organic wheatberry/rye berry and unbleached wheat/rye flour to retain maximum nutrients. The bread is thick and chewy and very satisfying (but very filling; I’ve asked the staff to only give me one piece i/o two or otherwise I cannot finish whatever sandwich I’ve ordered!). The creams and butters used are non-dairy herbed nut cream/butter (num!); all delicious but nothing I’m about to try to make at home!

The restaurant serves two types of food: Living Food (food prepared at below-42 degree c to retain phytonutrients and enzymes) and Wholesome Food (purely organic and baked daily, free of preservatives, softening agents, colorings or artificial flavors).

I have tried just about everything on the menu and have never been disappointed. I usually order take- away for dinner (they use biodegradable cartons but I often bring my own Tupperware days ahead of time for future orders and less waste; the restaurant closes at 6pm Monday-Wednesday) and have also dined there during the evenings (they are now open Thur-Sat nights) and have started going for their wonderful Sunday brunches (9am – 3pm); my favorite brunch items are the Living Banana Almond Pancake (thin crepe made with banana and almond flour with sweet vanilla nut cream and fresh fruit) and their divine cheesy omelette (free range eggs, grana padano and cheddar cheese, mushrooms, tomato with whole wheat or rye bread and the non-dairy herbed nut cream/butter), along with a side order of turkey banger, homemade smoke duck pancetta and homemade baked beans! Top that off with organic Colombian bean coffee made with health-promoting kangen water, and one of their super nutritious elixir drinks and it’s the perfect, healthy breakfast! (My favorite elixirs, freshly squeezed/made and targeting specific health goals are the cardiac arrest for circulation (passion fruit, lemon, pineapple and L-Arginine), detoxification for fat burn (greens, cilantro, ginger, turmeric, lemon, prune, NAC), and The Hulk for muscle-building (plant protein, spirulina, hemp and pineapple.) They also make fabulous whole fruit smoothies that are non-dairy and sugar free.

In terms of main meals, again I’ve never been disappointed with anything on the menu. My top favorites I’d have to say are the Mekong Salad (glass noodles, spiral carrots and cucumber with caramelized onions in a zesty kefir lime dressing…and you can add brie, salmon, duck or turkey to any salad), the mushroom hemp seed soup (thick and flavorful), and all of the “burgers” (turkey, lamb, mushroom pattie and the organic jade perch and salmon pattie). For those lovers of Malaysian cuisine, there are tasty (but healthy, unlike the local versions!) organic dolsot nasi lemak (with sambal seafood, spicy beef stew or sambal tofu) and Rejang Laksa/Vegan Laksa.

And the pastas, which are handmade egg pasta noodles, are fantastic; I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all three (I always order extra sauce!): turkey meatball pasta, arugula cherry tomato pasta, and prawn pesto pasta.

Every time I (and friends) eat at this restaurant we are always too full for dessert but I finally decided to ask for a “sampling” of desserts so I could finish this review! I cannot believe that a “living indulgence” (with no gluten/dairy and non-baked) could ever be this good, but oh my goodness: to die for. A couple of friends and I split a combination of brownies/berries chocolate tart/cream pocket/tiramisu/chocolate tart and salty caramel gateau. The chocolate was very chocolately and brownies the perfect texture. The cream pockets in an unbaked-almond flour wrap with banana/nut cream/fruit was full of both sweet and tangy flavors; I could have eaten several of these by myself. But my absolute favorite (and will be ordering from now on!) is the salty caramel gateau: this is a compilation of apple and nuts coated with salty caramel and macadamia nuts and medjool dates; the combination of salty and caramel and sweet and gooey was drool-worthy and satisfying!

In addition to all of this outstanding food, Philip and Stirling offer health/wellness/anti-aging consulting services with in-depth health screenings, supplement/cleansing/nutrition programs and organic/natural products/snacks, etc.

This is a unique and superlative venue both to seek truly healthy, astounding food and the path to ultimate wellness and longevity.

6  Thank Asiaexpat81