“Great location the only salvation”
Review of Iris Garden Hotel

Iris Garden Hotel
Ranked #259 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
“Great location the only salvation”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Stayed here because we thought we separated our 4 nights stay into 2 hotels so that we can review as many hotels as we can (the other hotel being Bintang Warisan, right opposite).
What a bad choice.
I portray myself as someone who is very easily pleased and with small gestures, but this hotel showed none. I have also visited hostels with 5-6 girls in one room, so to compare shared rooms in those hotels with private room in this hotel and still, the shared rooms fare better is saying something.
In exception for the guy who was always below on the ground floor and is always friendly, the rest of the this hotel is a downturn. The receptionists could do better, lack of facilities, dirty yellowing sheets and super thin walls to the extent we can hear the baby in the next room every little cry. The yellow sheets were the extreme downturn to me. How hard was it to just wash clean (bleach?) white sheets? I don't even want to think the probability that sheets were probably not washed, just folded nicely after each visitor?
I saw many complained about the noise, so I requested so to get a quiet room with windows (room 310). It was at the back of the hotel, so we got our quiet time. Sadly, the Family room next to us had a baby with them, and we were awake in the morning due to her cries. Like I say, yup super thin walls. The bathroom in the room had this pipe tube running from the floor above to the room below, and from time to time, sound came out of it (assuming everytime someone below use water?). It wasn't a nuisance but yea, it does feel like we were living somewhere squatters or something.
I paid RM140 for the room here, and in a nutshell, I would definitely take my money somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lis_elle7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 13 March 2013

this is my second time stayed at this hotel. last time i came here was a year ago.
great location, near Bukit Bintang MRT Station, Sungai Wang Plaza and Alor Street.
we booked 1 twin room
we dont have the towels at the room, but when we let the staff know they gave us the towel immediately.
unfortunately, this time we dont have a good sleep because it was so noisy with some indian/arabian live music from the outside hotel all night long. and you could hear the water flow from the sewer inside the wall if guests besides your room is taking shower.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Bandar Seri Begawan, null, Brunei
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Son27
The hotel is at a good location and very easy to go around but is very noisy during night time and can't really sleep till unless is after 1am to 2am. When i first check in, they is a cockroach inside the room and the room itself also have a bad smell. Shower water pressure is very low..complain for 2 times but nothing seems to work also. Others in-house guest smoking outside the room making my whole room smell smoke and people talking so loud on the phone in the middle of the night. So almost every night is a sleepless night....

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Tejgaon, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Reviewed 4 March 2013

It was really nice experience within budget, it took RM100 per night for double rooms, which includes the view of Times Square,KL and situated in Bukit Bintang,KL.
The rooms have TV, AC,Fridge and the space inside is reasonable.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I made a short trip to KL City and stayed in Iris Garden Hotel for 4 days 3 nights.

When I first arrived the hotel, I realized the reception counter is on the 1st floor and although there's a lift provided but I still had to carry my luggage up few flights of stairs before I could take the lift.

As there is only one lift in this building, the speed is very slow and it's very small.

Once we reached the reception counter at level 1, I was told to make deposit of RM50 and they do not accept any credit card transaction for payment below RM150. After making the payment, the receptionist gave me a tv remote control, air conditioner control and my hotel room key which during the check out, I have to return all these to them.

When I entered my room, I was glad as the 1 queen size bed + 1 single bed were bigger than what I initially thought. But this also made up most of the space in the room so there wasn't any much walk space in the room.

There was only 1 small closet but hangers were provided. There was fridge provided too and a very simple mini bar. Basically just a kettle, 3 glasses and 3 bottles of mineral water. No coffee or tea sachets provided. TV was showing very very limited channels which include BBC, AEC, ESPN and some local channels. Overall, it was like 5-6 channels only.

Toiletries was provided as well but very limited such as soap bars, shampoo, toilet rolls and towels. For additional items such as extra pillow, shower cap and hair dryer, you have to get it from staff at the counter and there is no additional charge to these. For your information, just press '0' on your phone when you need to talk to the staff.

Ok here comes the bad side of staying in this hotel.

On the first night of our arrival, our toilet bowl was jammed but luckily the staff was able to help us change the parts and fixed it. However, on the second morning similar thing happened again which we thought it could be due to the unavailability of water as we were staying on level 4.

Then on the second night, there was a current shortage at 6.30pm so we had no choice but to leave the hotel and went out for shopping. Due to the shortage, we weren't able to use the lift so we went down from level 4 to ground level using the staircases. We went back to the hotel at 10.30pm and fortunately the current revived.

The walls of our room have many cracks and stains. The stains appeared in chocolate color which we believed was ice cream or sweet beverages stain. Also because of this there was a lot of ants found in our room.

As it is situated in bustling Bukit Bintang, it was very lively, chaotic and noisy. On our first night, the noise only stopped at 3-4am. Then on our last night, we were awaken by the honking of cars on the road at 3am.

Also, the security of the hotel is another issue. It seemed like anyone could enter the hotel freely.

The main advantage of staying in this hotel is actually its ideal location. It's strategically located among all the shopping centres and eateries. Also, it is cheap. However, I think I would need to reconsider whether I should choose this hotel again during my next visit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Blu3qu3en
Pekanbaru, Riau, Indonesia
Reviewed 15 September 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located in the hearth of KL, bukitbintang, but its very noisy. I cant sleep well because an outdoor cafe beside of this hotel performing live music until 1.30 am. If you looking for a good access hotel you'll find in this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank raketua
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The hotel is located at Bukit Bintang Street, next to reflexology tenant and mini market/ century drugstore and only one blok away from Alor Street (famous with its cheap and yummy chinese food). The room is small but neat, and surprisingly the bathroom is quite big (at least bigger than what I thought it would be). The room has 32'' LCD TV, but not so many channels provided.
What make me a little upset is the noisy comes from the activity in bukit bintang mall next to the hotel.
Overall, you get what you pay. Not bad hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends