“Just not that good”

Central Lodge
and 1 more site!
Central Lodge
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Being located within five minutes walk KL sentral, Central Lodge is in a good locaiton if you have an early flight the next day and don't want to pay the high price for an airport hotel or taxi in the early hours. Aside from this there isn't a whole lot within walking distance, so if you are staying more than one night in KL you're better off going to Bukit Bintang.

However, the room I stayed in was very poor. The floor was dirty and the room was noisy, being located next to a busy road. The fan worked reasonably, although it was still quite hot since closing the window was necessary. The only bed linen was a bottom sheet with clearly visible body hairs and flakes of skin from the previous user(s). The mattress was thin, and the bed frame creaked loudly whenever I rolled over, which was often because it was hard to get comfortable. All this combined to make for a poor sleep.

On the other hand the bathroom was reasonably clean and the hot water worked well. The staff were polite and were around when you needed them (including for a 4am checkout), but not overly friendly. It wasn't an expensive place, but you can get much better for the same price in KL.

All in all it was a pretty bad stay and if I found myself in a similar situation I wouldn't stay there again. Based on the other reviews, maybe there are some better rooms, so if you need a place for one night it might be worth checking out, but only if all the other places nearby are full.

Room Tip: Inspect rooms carefully
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank khlav
There are newer reviews for Central Lodge

Reviewed 25 February 2014

The owner is mentally unstable.You ask a normal question about the room rates & he would start interrogating you as if you are some kind of an intruder & he behaves as if he would be doing a favour to give you place in this lousy prison.
After climbing a flight of stairs to 4th floor with the baggage,as there are no lifts, you are treated by this stupid moron with arrogance & indifference as if you are going to stay there for free.He is extremely unwelcoming & rude.The rooms are small & look like prison cells.Charges are way too high.The staff is equally unfriendly.The rooms & beds were not clean either.He did not show us the rooms until we booked,Very mean & malicious kind of business tactics.In short ,don't stay here!

Room Tip: Find some other guest house nearby,there are plenty
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank N H
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I knew I'd be arriving at KL Sentral from the airport at about 2 a.m. and I needed to be out the door early the next morning, so I didn't want to go too far for accommodation. It's literally a 2-4 minute walk. The hostel assured me there would be someone to let me in. I previously tried this approach at a different hostel in the same area and it took me over 20 mins to find someone to let me in. Additionally, as a single female traveller walking alone at 2 a.m. I was a little put off at first with the karaoke bar on the first floor... but there was nothing to worry about, there was someone who answered the intercom straight away to open the locked gate.

I booked a dorm room, but was given a single room instead for no extra money. Bonus! I was given a sheet and paid for a towel. The hostel and fan room was very, very basic, but clean and quiet.

The next morning there were people in the lounge literally just outside my door, but they were quiet & respectful (if it makes any difference to anyone, I was the only white person there - just an observation, not an evaluation. I have lived in SEAsia for 5 years and am used to being the only white person in the area). I found clean but rather public bathrooms - they are right next to where you make your toast, peanut butter & jelly breakfast & coffee & tea, so no hiding "bathroom stuff".

I like it when hostels give you food of any kind, and toast, PB & J are the perfect portable food. I once stayed (on my Mom's tab) at a $150/ni. hotel that didn't even include breakfast when my $20/ni. hostel did!!!???!!! I could have made tea or coffee as well but I was in a hurry. It took me 2-4 mins to walk to the monorail to get to where I needed to be somewhat early in the morning.

Overall, I found the staff pleasant, the hostel clean and the location rocked for my needs. Personally, I probably wouldn't stay here for more than a couple of nights, but that's just me. I thought it was perfectly fine if you need a clean place in a good location and you're on a budget.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We visited the hostel twice as it was a good, economical choice in Kuala Lumpur. The hostel was basic as you would expect but it was clean. The man who ran the hostel was very friendly and helpful. He knew his stuff when it came to Kuala Lumpur.
The thing that would make me go back most was I felt welcome and I thought it was safe for a big city and had a good location.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Good location, 2mn walk from KL Sentral. Lots of street food in the area, cheap and very authentic. Basic room, no bed sheets, air conditioning in the room and fans available.
Bathroom/showers clean.
Breakfast is available: toast with marmalade, coffee and tea, if it is not enough for you, you can have a nice coffee 1mn walk from the hostel in the morning.
Staff very friendly and helpful. Badge to get in the hostel.
For the price you can't complain, perfect for budget travelers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We arrived late we were offered two rooms, one was a basic double and the other was a dorm room, non of the beds were made up, in the double the sheets were stained and the toilets were grotty. The whole place was empty. It was dingy, breakfast consisted of toast and marmalade. The prices were way too much for what you get, not a bad location, the only bonus. Stay at the birds nest, cheaper and amazing!!

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Kayleigh K
Reviewed 2 June 2013

About 5 min from KL Sentral, its not in the best part of town. Being directly above a karaoke den didn't inspire either. However, it is quiet enough once upstairs! Small and basic rooms, but clean and everything works. Showers are concrete cubicles, with unlimited hot water. 24/7 access by cards. Wi-Fi slow but free. Bit of a walk to some attractions, but with trains 1 or 2rm a trip thats very minor!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo