“Luxurious no doubt, but we didn't enjoy it”

JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #10 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Beijing, China
“Luxurious no doubt, but we didn't enjoy it”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Summary
- I've given 4 stars because it's a very luxurious property in a hard-to-beat location. But several issues marred our enjoyment and we won't be back.

The issues:

Club lounge
- We had a room on the club floor (as we have Marriott Platinum) but never used the lounge because my kids were underaged. The website had no information on this and if I had known, we would not have chosen JW. In other properties, kids are allowed in but depending on the property, some not for breakfast. In this case they were not allowed in at all. This is fine provided it is stated clearly in the website.
- The lounge also had a dress code (which, having packed for a beach holiday in Thailand the week before, we did not meet). I only went in once to the front desk to ask for the wifi password (a most troublesome practice as it has to be refreshed everyday?). With all these rules it seemed clearly targeted at business people and not holiday makers. Very stiff and formal.

Breakfast
- We had to go to Shook restaurant downstairs for breakfast since we couldnt use the lounge. We didn't mind because the main restaurants usually have a wider selection of food.
- What we did mind was that we had to queue for half an hour to get into the restaurant!! This is the first time I have ever had to queue to get in to a breakfast buffet!!! My kids were starving (and so was I). Fortunately we were not in a rush as our flight was in the afternoon. But what if we had a plane to catch? So if you do - beware! You may need to include a half hour buffer!
- The spread looked impressive, but most things we tried weren't good. Disappointing to say the least!

- This was the worst part. There was a big break down in communication between the lounge, main reception and the concierge, resulting in a big delay leaving for the airport.
- As we left our room, I asked the lounge to get someone to bring our bags down from the room. He dutifully wrote something down, but did not act on it, as I discovered later.
- As I needed to wait for my husband in the lobby, I decided to check out there, instead of at the lounge. The girl who attended to me was very sweet and efficient, but gave me the wrong bill (she basically forgot to add the bulk of our charges and only charged me for the extra bed we put in). Ah, which brings me to the point that when we asked for the extra bed, no one told us it was chargeable! I questioned the bill but she said that was all we had to pay. Fine. So I paid and went off. To the concierge. Where were our bags? Apparently no one had told them to bring the bags down. So they sent someone. Or so they told me. At which point the sweet girl from reception scurries back. I'm so sorry she says, I forgot to give you the other bill. Right. So I go back and pay somemore. And then back to concierge. No one had left to get our bags yet! So I chased them to do it. Our driver was starting to get impatient outside and we were getting late! After waiting somemore, the bags finally arrived and we could leave. I was very flustered at this point and thinking that we won't ever stay here again!!

Conclusion
- I recognise that part of the issue was with us (in that the whole lounge thing didn't work for our family). I think it would be great for business travellers.
- The lounge/reception/concierge breakdown I felt was serious but maybe it was a one-off? Who knows.
- The long breakfast queue - I find this unacceptable. We weren't even there during a peak period.

Whatever it is, there are equally luxurious properties which are less stuffy, which have great service and no queues at breakfast! We'll be going there instead!

Room Tip: The room we got on the club floor was very noisy because it was near a service door where they were...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Stayed only for 1 night while in transit and was upgraded to executive level room for Gold status member. The room was very nice however the bed was quite stiff for my liking and the aircon was quite a bit loud as well. The executive level was very posh and one of the best I have experienced at a JW Marriott to date. I really liked this hotel and would likely stay again in the future.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I think this is the best place to stay if you are visiting KL city. you are a walking distance from 5-6 big malls. The hotel has a very good tours to the whole city and different cities too.
The building is clean, busy but organized. the rooms are clean, quiet and well furnished. the restaurant is fantastic. I really enjoyed staying at this hotel and if I will come to Malaysia again I should stay at it!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hussein M
Singapore
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel twice, both times for work.

The location of the hotel is prime, within central business district area; with Star Hill mall and Pavilion Mall right next door providing retail therapy to those who need.

Check in at the hotel was always swift and efficient, as a 5* hotel should be. I was provided with 2 key cards (although I was alone) without having to ask.

The room was adequately spacious with all necessary amentities provided for. A good number of plugs were available in the room, including 2 by the bedside, making it convenient for guests to charge their phone/camera/laptop. Robes and bedroom slippers were provided. There were also 2 bottles of mineral water provided for guests. The bathroom has a separate bathtub and shower area.

The hotel has a good variety of dining options from Chinese to Japanese, to Korean, and Western. We dined at the Korean restuarant. Service was adequate. We had Korean bbq and also ordered 2 different types of pancakes. Food was tasty, especially the beef. 1 downside is that they've only served us 1 pancake out of the 2 we ordered and have forgotten the other order.

Breakfast was included in my room package. It was at Shook restaurant which is located on lower ground. Wide spread of buffet available to cater to international travellers. However, as it is a halal restaurant, no pork is served. I only tried some fried beehoon, an otak, a small piece and a siew mai. The otak was stuck to the banana leaf and even though it looked dry, I couldn't scrap it out. The beehoon had a sweet taste to it rather than savoury. The piece of chicken was dry. Rather average food quality I must say. Maybe I should have stuck to eating bread and cereal.

I did not have time to use facilties of the hotel such as the pool or gym or spa, so can't comment.

1 downside to this hotel is there is no free wifi.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Manila
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Excellent location on one end of Jalan Bukit Bintang. It's adjacent to super high end Star Hill mall which has a unique basement of 14 good restaurants, and right across Pavilion Mall. Service was quite good, in contrast to the service levels in Malaysia in general. Staff at the lobby were very attentive, always ready to assist when you walk in with a big piece of baggage or looking lost. After inquiring about a bigger map of Jalan Bukit Bintang which they didn't have and wireless Internet access in the lobby, I was offered free wireless Internet in my room for my entire stay if I signed up for a Marriott Rewards card which cost nothing. It would be an even further delight if they just immediately offered it when I checked in. Rooms are fairly well kept up or renovated considering this is not a new hotel. Towels and sheets were all fresh and clean. The conference in the basement was alright, although waiters were very slow to serve during our gala dinner. Succeeding requests for wine came after the event had ended. Perhaps they weren't prepared for the number of guests, approx. 600. Breakfast could be better, choice was alright but dishes weren't always filled.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Hong Kong
Reviewed 29 April 2012

As I had stayed at the Shanghai Marriott (Peoples Square) the week before I had a pretty good experience so thought I would stay 'on brand' and try the KL JW Marriott'

I Stayed 3 nights this week for an hotel award conference :

Pros
Location is terrific.
Food outlets in the Starhill Mall very good creative and reasonable prices, well marketed.
Mall has all the same branded luxury boutiques as every premier mall in SE Asia but nothing original or unique
Got an eye infection and made use of the Raffles Medical Center in the Mall they let me charge to the room as I had forgotten my credit card, the Indian Dr was exceptional.

Cons
The deluxe room I stayed in felt old and a bit grubby and had limited tech facilities the power socket is UNDER the desk so you have to get on hands and knees to find it, likewise the no free socket next to the bed unless you remove the side light power.
Club flood food offering lacked originality and was alot of very basic items, if you're a low carber there isnt much except a bit of lettuce sliced tomato and sliced pastrami but the circular open layout lacks privacy and no power sockets for recharging or working off a laptop for an extended period.

Found some old pistacio nit shells under the bed.

Pool food menu is limited for salads and they couldn't do anything 'off' the menu for a meat and veggie guy like myself.

Gym was large and had all the basic stuff but a lad from the changing room reception asked me to leave at 10 pm as I had some clothes in the locker of the changing room.

Internet is expensive unless you join Marriott Club which I did - they give you an access code which I had to get renewed every day ! A real pain.

The food for the GALA dinner I attended was poor the first course pate was warm - yuck and the chicken main course stone cold and very salty the dessert was a disappointing chocolate mousse, coffee was diabolical and cold. I was starving after the meal and went to the Mall for a late snack.

The Ballroom sound system was also very poor for the Gala dinner - I was on a table 3/4 from the back and couldn't hear a thing. The waiter service at the champagne reception was pathetic I never got offered a drink I was stere for 45 minutes many others I was with didn't either.

I booked a 6am wake up call which was forgotten, I complained at check out but got an off the cuff - "Oh, sorry about that" no name used.

The coffee and tea offered for early checkouts had no boiling water for my Green Tea bag so I had to track down a security guard standing nearby who took my paper cup to a door leading the the back of house behind the front desk and reappeared with my tea bag floating in boiling water, I couldn't hold the thin paper cup and the lids didn't fit the cups so I let it behind as I feared scalding myself in the 300 Ringit S Class Mercedes limo I had booked.

No one offered to carry my luggage and there were 5 bell staff in assorted uniforms I saw at the door huddled together all chatting about the government imposed curfew, no taxis anywhere so I was glad I had booked a limo after all.

Honestly I had expected a lot more from this as it was a JW Marriott.
I will use the Ritz Carlton next door next time.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard H
Reviewed 25 April 2012

i am a of this hotel as the shopping malls are a max of 5 min walk, service superb and also the best bed i have slept on.
i had an issue with the doorman where i was been overcharged for taxis and i complained abt it to the manager and she responded immediately.
however super hotel and would garantee it to anyone.

Room Tip: beware of the doormen not to be cheated and overcharged
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family