“Lovely friendly hotel”
Review of Hotel Istana

Hotel Istana
Ranked #24 of 348 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Yes,the hotel is old but it's still very luxurious and grand, and the staff were delightful. When we arrived, we found our room safe didn't work and the fridge wasn't very cold, so rang reception to report. Within one minute, there was a knock on our door and both items were immediately replaced! That is service! We found the staff to be quite delightful, friendly and helpful. The rooms were spotless and cleaned daily to an immaculate level. Beds were very hard, but we've found this to be the case all over Asia. Great range of toiletries provided and replaced daily. We did have a laugh at the antique hair dryer in the bathroom - haven't seen one of these since the 70's!

Excellent range of foods for all cultures at breakfast buffet, including made to order items by the cooks. Location is perfect within the Golden Triangle for accessing all the areas of interest and public transport.

I would agree with previous reviews that wifi in the rooms would be welcome rather than having to go down to the lobby. My only other criticism would be that the very well equipped gym needs airconditioning - Malaysia is so hot that running on the treadmill in that humidity was not pleasant.

Would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelIstana, Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind comments. Please accept my sincere apologies for our shortcomings in regards to the safe and refridgerator but I glad that we responded in a timely fashion. we are also pleased to say that we will upgrade the Wi-Fi facilities in the near future.

It would be a our privilege in welcoming you back to Hotel Istana in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance.

Thank you and kind regards.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Located in walking distance to major attractions and transport facilities; KL Tower, KLCC, Petronas Towers, Bukit Bintan, Mono rail station etc. Rooms are spacious and well maintained. Excellent Food options inside the hotel as well as outside.Staff very friendly and helpful. Overall a very good hotel. Can be recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of Petronas Towers.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind comments. Your review will help to motivate the team and strive to further improve ourselves.

I do hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcoming you back in the near future.
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance and inquiries.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Staff
Really2 SUCKS..
My husband have book the room 1 month before arrival. He did mention we want double bed mattress since we travelling with kid. The hotel person say YES. We have email proof.
The day we check in. The receptionist say. No more room with double bed. My husband say tonight only OK but tomorrow and the day after you must provide a room with double bed since I have book 1 month ago and your hotel say Ok. The receptionist very2 rude and say cannot promise and then after escalate the matter to manager on duty also the manager on duty act 'less' sincere. Very fake
When I want to have lunch buffet at the Taman Sari I ask the person there. How much 1 person. She answer 38. Come to the bill is 83. The person provide the information is really mislead. I try not to complain the person as we just arrived to KL and still very tired.
I have been asking for complimentary late check out. The night before I have check but the staff not able to answer. Morning after breakfast I did check the receptionist say OK will give us complimentary check out until 2pm. He say subsequently got charge. The minute we got to our room another person call again with really high tone. So, what time you want to check out ? The I say, just now spoke to the colleague 2pm. Very irritating.

HOTEL
I would say the review made by other reviewer that post the picture of toilet that mouldy, old, etc. is VERY TRUE. Hotel room very dusty and have old that kind of smell that makes you feel uncomfortable.

I don't realized that the water is yellowish until my son ask me to fill the bath tub full.
Water is yellowish and got that fishy smell.

Buffet menu for dinner / lunch is just so so for me nothing special. And also not kid friendly and most of the food is spicy. And before you drink please double check whether got any bug or sand that kind of things inside your water (this is my personal experience during lunch)

For our other trip to KL we definitely would not back to stay at this hotel and we definitely will share this unpleasant experience to our relatives and friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank helenong888

Dear Guests,

We thank you for your feedback and deeply regret for the shortcomings you had experienced during your recent stay at Hotel Istana and we are equally disappointed with the issues you have raised.

I have raised the issues that you had highlighted regarding the registration, requests for late check out, the washrooms and the water. We will ensure that these problems are immediately addressed.

Once again, our sincere apologies for your disappointing experience and look forward to welcoming you back. Please do not hesitate to contacting me personally for any further assistance.

Email: clement@hotelistana.com.my

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is certainly a beautiful hotel, with friendly, welcoming staff. However, it's time to get wireless above the lobby for the many people who need wifi for tablets or phones and can't use ethernet.
Location is convenient to the monorail, shopping and sightseeing areas.
I'm sure the breakfast was wonderful but given that we're happy with a light breakfast it was a ridiculous price.
We probably wouldn't stay here again, but we enjoyed our experience for the week we did spend in KL.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind comments. Please note that we will be upgrading our facilities like the Wi-Fi in the very near future.

I do hope that you would reconsider your decision to not stay with us in the future as I would like to welcome you back to an even more wonderful experience.

Please do not hesitate to contacting me for any further assistance.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

we were there in 2010

it is long time now but pictures show that it is still in the same condition.

it was huge and busy also.

but very old and also needed some maintenance.

breakfast have lots of option

lots of traffic around

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,

Thank you for feedback. Please be rest assured that we are constantly working on the upkeep of this grand lady.
I look forward to welcoming yo back and please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any further inquiries.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Absolutely worth the money you pay for. the friendly staffs, clean and cosy room and a big recognition for Ms Shopon the housekeeper for tidying up my room !!! also the walking distance to Pavilion shopping mall.
definitely will come back again in short future.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to post your review, We sincerely appreciate your kind comments. I will pass on your compliments to Ms. Shopon for a job well done. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you and kind regards.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We stayed here back in March for 3 days when we came to KL for the F1 before moving onto Penang.

First impressions of the hotel is its very grand and luxurious.

We had a club level room and arrived about 9am after our long flight from Heathrow, our rooms weren't ready (it took about 1½ hours for our rooms, there were 2 couples) however we could sit comfortably in the club room and have breakfast and drinks. It was very welcome after our long journey.

The corridors and the rooms are slightly dated as many other reviews have said, the club rooms however are very comfortable and large, the slightly dated décor was not a problem in the slightest. We used the pool on our first afternoon, its a very nice area to relax with a nice garden.

We took advantage of the club 'cocktail hour' on our first night & the drinks and canapés were very good, they kept topping your drinks up which after long haul travelling got us plenty tipsy enough to last the whole evening, lol. There was wine and beer available at this. We were out at the F1 for the next 2 days so didn't get to enjoy the evening cocktails (they were served 5.30pm while 7.30pm) if the upgrade doesn't cost too much I think its worth upgrading to club. (We were only offered club rooms as is all that was available when we booked so we don't know how much the difference was)

I am betting in its day this hotel was the absolute business, the lobby, bar area etc. has a real feel of decadence about it, very nice indeed.

The area is good, 10 minutes walk to the Hawker food area's, 10 - 15 minutes walk under an air conditioned walkway to KLCC & the towers. Quite a few malls within 10 - 15 minutes walk also.

We stayed in Traders last year which was great but on reflection think we preferred Istana, it was nice to have the outdoor pool area and the greenery to relax around. Everything about Traders was much more modern but no more comfortable, I think the outdoor area just tipped the scales in Istana's favour.

Perfect start to our 14 day Malaysia holiday :)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guests,

Thank you and appreciate your fantastic comments. We are grateful and pleased to hear that you were happy and had an enjoyable time at Hotel Istana.. Your comments and review will be passed on to the team and we hope to see you at our hotel again soon.

I look forward to welcoming you back and please do not hesitate to contact me for assistance.

Kind regards,