“Grand old hotel”
Review of Hotel Istana

Hotel Istana
Ranked #24 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had a very roomy Club suite for 4 nights. The Club Lounge staff were very friendly and helpful with special mention of Azizan who provided very personalised service at evening cocktails. The lobby had old world charm but it was a pity that the smokers spoilt it.

Room Tip: Upper North facing rooms have good views of Petronas Towers.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelIstana, Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at our Club Floor. I will pass on your appreciations to our butler, Azizan.

I also thank you for your comments on the smokers at the Songket Lounge and we are working on finding a solution.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further inquiries and assistance.

Email : clement@hotelistana.com.my

Write a ReviewReviews (3,946)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Location is great, front desk staff friendly, but everything else so-so. The spa was and the gym was under repair without a/c, and thus impossible to use during my stay. There was no Wi-Fi in the rooms, and make sure you bring your own adapter for the outlets. The one that I borrowed from the front desk did even not fit the outlets in my room. My room was clean, but in need of renovation as was the rest of the hotel. My reservation very clearly stated no-smoking room, however I was assigned a smoking room. It was changed when I complained, but to a rather drab location on the back of the hotel on the second floor with no view. As a non smoker I found myself unable to to sit in the lobby area where there is free Wi-Fi, but also a lot of smokers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused. Please note we have taken you points seriously and have address those issue. The gym and spa A/C has been rectified, Wi-Fi has been installed for the entire hotel and there are plans for the rest of the hotel.
I have spoken to my Front Office Manager and please be rest assured, we will remedy this issue.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for assistance and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Email : clement@hotelistana.com/my

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Express check in with complimentary welcome drink from Ms. Nicole. Room is clean. Room temperature is slightly low and no way to control it. The water is clean in the bathroom but not hot enough.

The breakfast come in many varieties. Malay style, Indian style, Chinese style and Western style. The coconut milk fragrance rice is exceptionally good. Do not go too early as I heard there is less variety of food. I went around 8.30am.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gwen T

Dear Guests,

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay at The Hotel Istana and thank you for the feedback.
We have just changed our calorifier and that should address the problem of the hot water. During the month our Ramadhan , we tend to reduce the spread of the breakfast buffet but that should be back to normal during normal months.

We look forward to your next visit and please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Good points : specious rooms , friendly staff, yummy breakfast (mostly oriental ) , good location

Bad points : worn out furnitures and bath service , no wifi in room( only available in lobby ) , no TV Channel to show World Cup

Totally the hotel is not a 5star type .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amin P

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate the great feedback. Please note that we are currently upgrading the facilities for TVs, safe and have already installed Wi-Fi for the entire hotel.
We are already put in place plans to totally refurbish the hotel in the near future.

Please do contact me personally for any further inquiries.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

hi friends i am sandeep recently i visited hotel istana international kaula lumpur, hotel is very good breakfast is excellent in the basement they have an indian restaurant named: trishna restaurant food is good but water bottle they provide is 200 ml pet bottle which is more costly then food items which they have to change, chilly chicken with nan is very good curd rice is good chicken boneless curry is good other then that if u eat anything my god u cant keep in ur mouth no taste, if u order them chicken biryani they mixed masala and put boiled chicken in it its waste to eat, when ever u order them u have to tell them cut into small pieces, breakfast is very good but when ur check in its taking some time even though if ur check in at 2pm they r asking to wait for an hour which is some problem near by u have pavilion mall which is dam good good for the view but dam expensive but choclates r little bit cheap buy them they give in boxes

Room Tip: before check in u have to ask for the top floor for night view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
HotelIstana, Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for kind comments. We are glad that enjoyed you stay with us. I will pass on my compliments to our Indian Chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Istana in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me for assistance.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

The initial impression when you walk in is one of grandeur and warmth coming from the lobby and the staff. An older style hotel that is well located for all of kl's attractions. We had a room on the 16th floor with a view of the city. The rooms are quite spacious , the bathroom is a good size but is let down by old carpets , old tv and poor air conditioning. Also wifi was only available in the lobby which for a hotel of this standing was poor. The breakfast was good with plenty of choices and the service was good and efficient. The pool area was ok without being special .I was informed that the hotel was going through a period of overhaul so I guess in a couple a months things might be a bit more modern but you can only judge what you see so at the moment it would rate as an average hotel. Location and good staff help lift its standing but would I stay there again? - not sure.

2  Thank ozclive
HotelIstana, Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and I am pleased to say that we are in the process of upgrading our facilities for new TVs, safes and Wi-Fi for the entire hotel in the initial stages. There are plans in place to refurbish the entire hotel in the near future. We will keep everyone updated.

In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance and inquiries.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We are repeat guests and this 8 day stay did not let us down. Upon arrival we had a glitch re our room allocation. Front desk were more than accommodating, the day manager understood our concerns and was sensitive to our needs. A huge thank you. The staff are excellent, nothing too much bother. As is usual loved the Lobby lounge, the huge breakfast selection, room service and the added bonus of the Club lounge and facilities. When booking stretch your dollar to a Club room with lounge facilities, excellent! The hotel is within easy walking distance to the great shopping in Bukit Bintang. Nearby is a covered air conditioned walkway to the Petronas Towers and also near is the monorail. I understand some upgrading is to be carried out in the hotel but we did not experience any concerns on this trip, we were more than happy with our stay, great room, would recommend.

Room Tip: Request a Club room with views to the Petronas Towers.
3  Thank Kat H

Dear Guests,

Thank you for your kind comments and highlighting positively on our services and the staff.
I am glad that you had an enjoyable and memorable stay at The Hotel Istana and in KL.

As you have correctly pointed out, we are currently upgrading our facilities for TVs, safes, plumbing works and Wi-Fi for the entire hotel.

We look forward to your next visit and please do not hesitate to contact me for any further assistance.