“Excellent Hotel”

Hotel Istana
Ranked #21 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have reached Kuala Lumpur with my family yesterday 20th Aug. 2014.
Hotel was selected by Emirates Holidays but it was excellent choice.
We are staying at club suite (2013 & 2009) at club floor.
Suite is perfect (2 complete bedrooms with a third living room, staff is very friendly and level of service is amazing.
Reception at Lobby floor was very helpful and informative.
Since we booked a club suite, we have executive reception at 20th floor, which was even more helpful and more pleasant.
There is the all day dining restaurant at Lobby floor where we had breakfast today (international breakfast), very nice and delicious. Staff serve you before you even ask for something, they will notice and come quickly ask "how they can help you!!!"
We have also the facility of executive restaurant at 20th floor.
We should check out on 24th Aug. 2014 to go to Genting Resort. I will miss this place.

To Istana management and staff, keep up the marvellous performance you are doing.

All the best.
Hesham Mostafa Shaheen

Room Tip: Club suites are amazing. Go for it and will worth every Dollar.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hesham M
HotelIstana, General Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear Mr. Hesham,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about your stay at Hotel Istana. The Istana team and I appreciate it very much. We also appreciate the time you took to post your review on Trip Advisor so it can help our new guest to read and know about our beautiful hotel and our wonderful associates.

Thank you again and we wish you the best in your future travel

Aamir Khan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Seremban
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Hotel Istana, KL does not deserve to be a 5-star hotel.
I stayed in the hotel for 5 days in a row. I requested for a large bed room, and reminded the hotel staff everyday but still I dont get a chance to transfer to another room, which I believe there are still available room for large bed.

I come back to the hotel room on the 3rd day with no towels, and other toiletries in the bathroom! When the housekeeping come and bring the towels and the other toiletries, I found that there is no handkerchief towel at the sink area and when I asked the staff, they mentioned that the hotel is out of handkerchief towel stock, which I obviously feeling weird about that, since it is happening at a 5 star hotel!

My colleague which has booked earlier with all the room criteria given during booking , get a totally different room from what he has booked earlier, and he only gets to change the room by day 3.

anyway, the towels given are all worn out, will some of towels having the threads out from the linen.

The hotel room is furnished with old design furniture and interior.

The hotel staff at the reception is not friendly and does not fit for a 5 star hotel.

Dear Hotel Istana and the authorities, do improve your service a lot to fit for a 5 star hotel title!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jumbozzz
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback with regards to your recent stay at Hotel Istana Kuala Lumpur. We sincerely apologize for all the inconvenience caused. My team and I appreciate your feedback and rest assured that your feedback has been taken seriously and concerned department heads are aware of the problems. I also like to clarify that we are not short on our towels and in fact we have enough towels available for our guest but it was an isolated challenge in our laundry which has been fixed already.

Once again we thank you for your stay as we apologize again for the inconvenience caused.

Warm regards

Singapore
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked 2 rooms...one of it has KL Twin Towers view from a distant! We loved the interior decor and it has good breakfast spread - fresh and tasty! However the television was the old "Box Squarish" model...its been a long time sinced we saw hotels with such television as most now has changed to LCD models! Our room has no wifi but our son's room which was a few doors away has. We stayed for 2 nights and the check in was a little slow but and check out was swift. Hotel was packed with guests as well as weddings that takes place in the ballrooms. Carpark was not so friendly and a little dark..should have more lightings and more parking space.

I asked for newspaper but was not given one at all! Pathetic...oh well..

We did use the gym facilities for 2 mornings. Treadmills was allright but the weights are little rusty and the exercise mats are worn out as well. The washroom and sauna was a little spooky hence, I did not use the sauna facilities. My family also had the similar feelings on the washroom. Probably due to the lighting which are too dim.

Hotel is just a walking distant to Pavillion Mall. We managed to jogged on the sunday morning at the outer circle of the hotel and passed by Radius Hotel, Federal, Royal Bintang, Berjaya Times Square and back to Pavillion. a nice experience no doubt there were too many road constructions.

I guessed I just liked the breakfast and the room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SofyRudy
HotelIstana, General Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear SofyRudy,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you liked our breakfast and the room. Please do accept our sincere apologies for the shortfalls, however, I like to take this opportunity to update you on some of the new initiatives that we have taken to upgrade the product. With regards to TV, we are in the process of replacing them with new 42inches LED full HD TVs and more than 80% rooms are already replaced with new ones, the whole hotel is being turned into complimentary WiFi with 100Mbps. All rooms have WiFi, available - our team will check now why your room did not work? I am so sorry that a simple request of Newspaper was not met. We are also looking into additional lights in the car park area, however, most of our car park entrances and exits are covered with CCTV cameras.

Once again we do appreciate your feedback and are looking forward to your next visit. Allow me to personally make arrangements for your stay.

Courbevoie, France
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Location: top, very convinient to reach everything by foot in the center
service: efficient
Design: looks like having not beeb renovated since 30 years
Strange smell is in the rooms, i had to change 3 times the room to avoid the allergic reaction
Clean
Breakfast: horrible, no way to choose the tea and yet you have to ask 2 times before it comes
So many local fruit and nothing except watermelon and melon (sometimes papaya) to brealfast
No espresso, no yoghurt
When you want to try local food, it's an adventure in itself
Looks huge but not much a real choice
No sound isolation: if your neighbour switches on the TV at 7 AM , you'll wake up
Something with kingbed: although you order it before no chance to get it
Finally you accept twin
generally, good 3*** but not 5***

Room Tip: avoid 7th floor: smoking rooms mix up the air in the common system, stinks to death
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Aurcka
HotelIstana, General Manager at Hotel Istana, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear Aurcka,

Thank you for your latest stay and feedback on trip Advisor. I have taken note of it and shared your valuable comments with respective department heads and I assure you every action will be taken to fix these issues.

Thank you again for your stay at Hotel Istana and we are looking forward to your stay in near future

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed at The Istana ion my way back to Melbourne, from a visit to family in The UK.

Impressive lobby, check-in was fast and efficient, although my pre-booked room wasn't ready, owing to early arrival, I was quickly offered an alternative, and the need for sleep help my decision to take the one offered!!

The room was a tad tired, but clean, and most welcoming.

The restaurant I used were fantastic, with the buffet breakfast and dinner extremely good.......if you like curry you have to try the buffet dinner!!!

Staff all very efficient and friendly, and most helpful.

I would certainly recommend The Istana, my only slight niggle being that the rooms are about ready for an upgrade....

Good hotel, great location, and reasonably priced.......what more could you ask for?

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank BazzaCrewe
Dear Bazzacrew,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at The Hotel istana. Thank you also for taking the time to post your Trip Advisor review. I am glad that team was able to offer a room to you despite the fact the arrival was early in the morning. We keep updating our product from time to time and we have bigger plans to renovate our rooms in future too. The good thing is that your room was very clean.

Thank you again for your stay and comments and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at Hotel Istana on your next trip to UK.

Warm regards

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have stayed Istana more than 5 times, this is the best stay as ever.
To our big surprise, the room was upgraded to Junior Suite as I booked just Club room.
The room was big enough for 2 of us, so we could very relax to chat and drink.
Hotel staff was really nice and friendly, helped us a lot.
I'm sure to come back next year as ISTANA is my home in Malaysia!!!

Room Tip: Higher room is preferable as you can see a good view of Golden Twin Tower.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JUnko K,

Reading your review just made mine and my team's day. Thank you so much for your loyalty to Hotel Istana. We are very happy that you gave us 5 stars on the review. Thank you again

Looking forward to your return to Hotel Istana - your home in Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The location of the hotel is very central close to Pavillon , Petronas Tour,Bukit Bintan.
The staff are very kind but when the resort is full the service became complicate no more KING BED ROOM and they close the swimming pool early because they organize a big events , so it s good to ask about it before the booking.
The room is nice and the reception are reactif.

Room Tip: Room not fare from the lift
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Claudia s,

Thank you for your feedback as we all appreciate it very much. We are so sorry about pool being closed early during your stay. I hope this did not cause you much inconvenience.

Looking forward to your return on your next visit to KL