“Beautiful hotel, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Istana

Hotel Istana
Ranked #22 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful hotel, good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2009

We stayed at Istana for a week after extensively reading lots of review on it. We were party of 5 adults and two kids. We had booked two king bed rooms and one twin share, on arrival all our rooms were twin share, but for my litte girl, they gave us a roll away bed.

Rooms were spacious, with two bottle of compl. water everyday and tea and coffee making facilities. Staff were curtious. We had two piece of laundry included in our room rate, evey day a bill was sent to us and eveyday we rang the reception and sorted it unsuccessfully, however was not charged for it at the end. So rather inefficient but friendly.

Check out took a lot and not as business savy as singapore but I enjoyed my stay more than singapore.

Beautifull Pool and sauna and steam room.

Indoor spa has diferrent days for ladies and gents!

Overall very pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank adventureperth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (890)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2009

Have recently returned from a first time stay in KL in January and made our choice of hotel based on reviews from tripadvisor. Major influences - location, close proximity to monorail and affordable club suite prices from expedia.com.

We arrived in KL at 6.30am at KLCC and utilized the asia air skybus to KL Sentral. We arrived at the hotel no later than 8.30am expecting to have to just leave bags and spend the day out and about till actual checkin time. However we were escorted to the club lounge and offered breakfast and shown to our room immediately. This was a real bonus after an overnight flight. Our suite was far far larger than ever expected and the view of the Petronas towers from our window just amazing. While the colour scheme of the room was somewhat drab and could do with brightening up, the room was well maintained and cleaned to perfection every day. Staff were absolutely fabullous to us. Club louge option very nice with complimentary drinks for each evening and breakfasts more that adequate. Dined in the hotel a few times but found it a little pricey. Located a street of international restaurants very close by with good quality food and great service so utilized them regularly. Did not utilize the pool and felt more shade was needed - it looked very stark. Checked out the gym and other facilties and found them to be of high quality. Little disappointed to see the sauna out of order.

For a first time in KL, I felt like we had made a very good choice and would recommend highly. We would use this hotel again without hesitation.

• Liked — Location, Special attention paid to club guests, Great room
  • Disliked — Hotel Restaurant somewhat expensive
  • Stayed January 2009
1 Thank myn
singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2009

The hotel is located 15 mins. away from twin towers,near a LRT station. Rooms are ok but facilities are quite old. I checked in with my mom and sister, there is a king sized bed in my room,but
only 2 single beds in their room, not queen not double sized.I have to say never lived in a 4 or 5 stars hotel with those single bed. but all in all the condition of the hotel is acceptable.

The accident happened in the second day when my mom tried to wash a glass in the bathroom. she didn't notice the edge of the glass was broken and had her figure cut to blood.it was not serious so she covered the wound herself and told to me the incident when I came to her room. I called the front desk, two staffs was sent within 10 mins. to check the situation. when I told them my mom was ok with only a small wound,they collected the glass and left.From then on I did not receive any words or apology from the hotel,even the broken glass was not replaced.

At the last day before we checked out, I called the manger to complain not only for the accident but also for unconcern attitude of the hotel.To my surprise I was told the glass should be in good condition before we moved in because the cleaner was trained to do so. The man who I told with claimed himself service manager wanted to send his cleaning staff to my room to explain and apologize. I just can't believed what I had heard and hanged up the phone.

So my advice to prospective traveler, do not expect any high standard ,you get what you pay after all.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank tonyin
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2009

We booked this hotel at the end of our stay and found it to be in the right location and very quiet after the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. We were escorted to our room by one of the staff members rather than the bell hop and told how everything worked. We found the room spacious and well laid out.
The buffet breakfast was with a good selection of different foods and the waiters were awaiting your every needs. As we had a late night flight we were able to leave the bags while we went shopping and use the pool facilities during the day. Given that we paid so little for the room I was very pleased with the quality of the room.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

As backpackers, we would not normally stay in such a hotel but a family member met us there and paid for us. The bed was really good, the interconnecting rooms and bathroom was huge, the food in both the restaurants was very good too. One thing that will always stick in my mind though - we phoned room service and asked for 3 wine glasses to be brought to our room so that we could drink a bottle of wine that had been brought over from NZ for us, and were told there would a 15 ringgit charge for that! We told them that was crazy but they wouldn't budge so we offered to go down to the restaurant ourselves and collect them at no cost which they finally agreed to. Hello, it's the principle of the matter! I don't know how many $1000's of dollars we spent staying there (2 rooms) and eating in their restaurants and they couldn't even bring us 3 wine glasses! That really irked me, and still does to this day. But apart from that, it was a great stay and we had nothing else to complain about at all. The hotel is in a great location for eateries, bars, shopping malls, transport etc, so I would still recommend it.

• Liked — Location, luxury (by our standards!)
  • Disliked — Room service charge to bring 3 wine glasses to our room!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights. Second time I was staying there.

Generally a good tourist hotel. Room was clean, comfortable and sufficiently luxurious.

Location was very good. Just off the Bukit Bintang Walk strip, so quieter than the actual strip itself, but close enough for a short walk. Being opposite a train station also makes it very convenient.

Breakfast was a buffet with a good selection.

The management should however be careful about maintaining the hotel. It's age was showing in some areas, compared to the first time I stayed there more than a year ago. Some of the power points and one light bulb in the room was not working.

All in, still a very good hotel, though like most big hotels, service was slightly impersonal.

• Liked — Clean, luxurious. The location.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2008

Enjoyed this, my second, stay at Hotel Istana. Staff and facilities are great and location is also good. Had a problem with the safe in my room and staff were amazingly helpful sorting it out.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business