“Really satisfied and will definitely stay here again”
Review of Hotel Istana

Hotel Istana
Ranked #21 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Really satisfied and will definitely stay here again”
Reviewed 2 April 2009

As this was our first trip to KL we were somewhat dubious after reading a few of the Istana reviews. What a lovely surprise when we actually checked in to a good sized room, very clean and comfy with a great view of the Petronus Towers. The bathroom was great, really spacious with a good sized deep tub and a seperate shower cubicle. Being short sighted it was really a big bonus for me to have the magnifying mirror on a swivel arm beside the wash basins. I was over the moon to be able to do my make up and actually see what I was doing for a change. The staff were great and arriving early was no problem. As the room was only supposed to be available from 2pm and we were there before lunch we were expecting to just lock away the luggage and go off and have lunch in the meantime but, we were checked in immediately no problem.
The hotel is very central, just a few minutes walk from BB and across the street from the monorail station which was really great. After 4 nights we were actually reluctant to leave and will definitely stay there again on our next KL trip.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank fullydepreciated055

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I stayed in Istana back in late 90s when it was just opened. Had pleasant memories back then so decided to stay here instead of Hotel Maya. How sorry I was that i decided on that.

I was on holiday in most parts of Malaysia with my wife and sister. Booked thru Asiarooms for a double with a rollaway bed. I arrived at about 3.30pm after a very long drive from Kelantan. We were given the room almost immediately eventhough we did not print out the booking vouchers. We thought this might be a good start for the stay. Counter staffs acknowledge that we were booked in a triple room.

However, when we went into our room, the rollaway bed is not there yet. We decided to have a shower first after a long journey. But to our disappointment, there were not a single towels available. No bath towels, no face towel, no hand towels! Had to call reception for this and it took them about 45 minutes to send up 2 sets of each. having told them that there are 3 of us but the staff replied that the person sending the bed will bring the other set. After 45 mins, no rollaway still and no 3rd set of towels. Called reception desk of the missing rollaway and was told someone would be sending the bed immediately. At last only after nearly 4 hours after we have checked-in did the bed and the extra amenities came. The staff who brought the bed was rather unpleasant. He was pushing our bags and things around to make way for the rollaway.

Dinner was surprisingly good. But when we wanted to sign to room, we were not allowed to as we did not give any form of deposit upon check-in. Is it really my fault that the staff did not ask for my credit card upon arrival?

I am totally disappointed staying at Istana as I would have been much happier in Hotel Maya.

Location otherwise is ideal. Its near the town-rail system and near a few shopping malls.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank e_zachary
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Very old. Safe was broken, so was the telephone in the bath. Poor water pressure. Old furniture. Really poor rooms. Strange rule that security deposit cannot be used for meals (you must leave another one). Noisy.

Located in the centre near monorail Raja Chulan. Beautifull.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Location is convenient, walking distance to many tourist attractions, however, check-in was problematic. I made the reservation through Zuji but upon arrival, was told that my reservation was cancelled when the terms and conditions clearly states that its guaranteed even for late arrival. Finally I managed to check-in but had to provide my credit card as guarantee, I had to make calls to Zuji's customer service myself to settle the reservation.

The hotel promotes on the website that there's free high speed internet access, but did not state clearly that there is only LAN available in the room. I was trying to connect to the internet but the LAN connection on my laptop was not working, so we had to go downstairs to access the wireless to check-in for our flights the next day. To our surprise, we were told that the wireless is chargeable at blocks of 1hr at RM15/hr and there's no exception. I explained to the manager that I only need to access it for 5 - 10 mins just to do check-in, we were told by the manager the same story. I insisted that we should be allowed to access the wireless at the lobby since we are hotel guest, finally the manager relented but I had to wait 15 minutes for them to get back to me on the access code. This has reflected bad and inflexible services provided by the staff.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank meowth
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 March 2009

Location : It was close to the Metro, walking distance to Bitang walk, mall and many restaurants.
Hotel: Nice grand entrance and check in was a breeze.
Room: It was spacious and we had a great view of the twin towers, KLCC and surronding. Just ask for a high floor with a view. The bathroom was big however it could have been a more updated.
Value: We got a rate of $70 USD per night which is a great value. If the price was over $100 USD then I would suggest the Crown plaza or Millenium.
Overall: We had a great time at the hotel with no problems.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Taxi fare 70 Ringit ( Budget Taxi I think they called it) there and 90 back to airport.
Very imposing reception area and easy check in. You have the feeling of checking in somewhere special, and walking the corridors is quite an experience. The staff are just so friendly and helpful.
Our room was large and a had comfortable King bed. Our bathroom was very good with separate shower and bath with twin sinks. No noise at night. We were lucky enough to be on a floor with a view to the Petronas Tower, which was good to see at night.

We took them up on the buy one get one free buffet which was an excellent choice for food and easy on the first day of arrival, a little pricey but easy. Remember that the restaurant is Halal so no alchohol, I did miss my beer but the food was a good compensation. Drinks are available in the lounge. Breakfast was a full international buffet event but again do remember this is a Moslem state so no bacon, but not the end of the world
Hotel located very near to Bukit Bintang and was only a 10 minute walk round to it. The nearest mono rail station is also less than 10 minutes away. We walked to the Petronas Tower, I think maybe 20 minutes.

Tip- when in the streets unless so inclined avoid premiere taxis, they charge at leat 4 times rate of budget. I made a mistake going to a mall from the main railway station - outbound 5 ringit return 20 ooops. I should have known better it did look a good caar.

Overall we liked it and would be happy to stay again.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SurreyDave
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2009

We stayed at Istana for a week after extensively reading lots of review on it. We were party of 5 adults and two kids. We had booked two king bed rooms and one twin share, on arrival all our rooms were twin share, but for my litte girl, they gave us a roll away bed.

Rooms were spacious, with two bottle of compl. water everyday and tea and coffee making facilities. Staff were curtious. We had two piece of laundry included in our room rate, evey day a bill was sent to us and eveyday we rang the reception and sorted it unsuccessfully, however was not charged for it at the end. So rather inefficient but friendly.

Check out took a lot and not as business savy as singapore but I enjoyed my stay more than singapore.

Beautifull Pool and sauna and steam room.

Indoor spa has diferrent days for ladies and gents!

Overall very pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family