“Value for money”
Review of Hotel Istana

Hotel Istana
Ranked #27 of 355 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 30 April 2009

Booked my trip through expedial. got really good deal including free beers. Room was clean and tidy, staff was really friendly too. Location was excellent, really close to all shopping malls and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,108)

Reviewed 23 April 2009

tThis was the first stay a the istana hotel, the room reservation booking was done online , when arrived to the hotel the check in process was easy and quick.
Rooms were tidy and clean with all the expected amenities.
the staff were very friendly and caring starting from the concierge, reception,room services and waiters.
reasonable in terms of the value for the sercies given
location was 10 - 15 mintues walk to the shopping centres and resturant
suitable place for old and young travelers
Overall the sevies was Super worth staying at the Istana hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Milu83
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I have stayed in this hotel twice and I won't hesitate to stay there again for my next visit. Chose this hotel for the coach package that ties-up with it. Although it is not as perfect or ultimately exclusive, it is well-located and my experience with this hotel is still acceptable. Rooms are spacious, clean and everything in the room are working fine. Nice spacious corridoor walkway and spacious bathroom. Gentlemen at the door are also friendly. To compare to another hotel that I recently stayed in PJ, Hotel Istana is a better excellent choice.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I stayed here for a week earlier in March and had a great time.

Great hotel - room with a view of the Petronas Towers (in the west wing/tower). Spacious, clean and modern. Only the bathroom looked a bit dated, but nothing to complain about.

The staff were very helpful and incredibly polite (even when I heard some guests getting very angry with them over what sounded like a tiny thing).

The location is fantastic - a short walk to the streets wiith hawker type restaurants and all the shopping centres. Monorail station is directly opposite if you want to go further afield.

The pool is in the sun most of the day (until about 4.30 when I was there) and the staff will remove old towels so people can't "reserve" a lounger all day and hardly use it. Very handy! :o)

I walked to the Petrons Towers (about 20-25 mins) but you can get the Monorail most of the way.

Great curry house down the quiter (of the two) roads that run down the side of the hotel. It's the one that sprays a mist from it's roof some evenings! Highly recommended and only about 10 MYR for a main course. Yeah - a large beer was 15 - but then it is in most of these restaurants (I think I paid nearer 30 or 40 for one at the Hotel).

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2009

For the price, I think it's worth staying here. Big, clean and nice room. However, we stayed for 1 night and had a bad experience. When we checked in, the staff said the requested Kingbed room is not ready. Then she told us there was a room prepared with twin beds put together to make one bed for us + petronas view. We agreed because we were so tired and hungry. When we went to the room, the twin beds were separated and actually it didn't look like you could put them together at all. I was upset so we called the reception and they sent a housekeeping staff to our room. We asked if the beds could be put together and then the guy gave us a weird look and started moving stuff. He kept giving us a nasty look as if we were making him do something he wasn't supposed to do! I was going to say never mind when we saw all the wires behind the small table between the beds but he was acting upset about it. The staff who checked us in lied to us, housekeeping guy was NOT nice, no other staff said hello to us throughout the stay except the guy at fitness center. You don't feel so welcomed at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank footsloggerr
Reviewed 2 April 2009

As this was our first trip to KL we were somewhat dubious after reading a few of the Istana reviews. What a lovely surprise when we actually checked in to a good sized room, very clean and comfy with a great view of the Petronus Towers. The bathroom was great, really spacious with a good sized deep tub and a seperate shower cubicle. Being short sighted it was really a big bonus for me to have the magnifying mirror on a swivel arm beside the wash basins. I was over the moon to be able to do my make up and actually see what I was doing for a change. The staff were great and arriving early was no problem. As the room was only supposed to be available from 2pm and we were there before lunch we were expecting to just lock away the luggage and go off and have lunch in the meantime but, we were checked in immediately no problem.
The hotel is very central, just a few minutes walk from BB and across the street from the monorail station which was really great. After 4 nights we were actually reluctant to leave and will definitely stay there again on our next KL trip.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank fullydepreciated055
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I stayed in Istana back in late 90s when it was just opened. Had pleasant memories back then so decided to stay here instead of Hotel Maya. How sorry I was that i decided on that.

I was on holiday in most parts of Malaysia with my wife and sister. Booked thru Asiarooms for a double with a rollaway bed. I arrived at about 3.30pm after a very long drive from Kelantan. We were given the room almost immediately eventhough we did not print out the booking vouchers. We thought this might be a good start for the stay. Counter staffs acknowledge that we were booked in a triple room.

However, when we went into our room, the rollaway bed is not there yet. We decided to have a shower first after a long journey. But to our disappointment, there were not a single towels available. No bath towels, no face towel, no hand towels! Had to call reception for this and it took them about 45 minutes to send up 2 sets of each. having told them that there are 3 of us but the staff replied that the person sending the bed will bring the other set. After 45 mins, no rollaway still and no 3rd set of towels. Called reception desk of the missing rollaway and was told someone would be sending the bed immediately. At last only after nearly 4 hours after we have checked-in did the bed and the extra amenities came. The staff who brought the bed was rather unpleasant. He was pushing our bags and things around to make way for the rollaway.

Dinner was surprisingly good. But when we wanted to sign to room, we were not allowed to as we did not give any form of deposit upon check-in. Is it really my fault that the staff did not ask for my credit card upon arrival?

I am totally disappointed staying at Istana as I would have been much happier in Hotel Maya.

Location otherwise is ideal. Its near the town-rail system and near a few shopping malls.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family