“Fantastic hotel”

Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #4 of 353 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in April for a friend's wedding, which was held at the hotel. We had a fantastic stay, and couldn't fault the place. The rooms were wonderful, ornate but spacious, except the toilet doesn't have a separate door so you have to close off the whole bathroom for toilet privacy.The reception staff we dealt with were all lovely and extremely helpful. Breakfast was tasty with a wide selection (East and West). The pool area is good with a great view over the park. Location couldn't be better, next to the towers and walking distance from plenty of sights and shopping areas. We used the free wifi at the Starbucks next door.

The bed is extremely comfortable, the hairdryer is not great so bring your own, though the iron is the best I've had in any hotel.
I would definitely stay here again if I return to KL, it was a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,214)

Reviewed 10 July 2012

I chose this hotel as a splurge at end of my Asian holiday. I guess I was expecting it to be amazing and should know the more you spend may doesn't mean the better it is ! Definitely applies in this case. A few previous reviewers mentioned staff at pool delivering iced water .. I had to ask 3 times before he could remember to bring a glass of water. At the lounge had to wait more than 20 minutes to acknowledge me to order a drink. Female staff acknowledging and serving promptly two guys who arrived after me. Had to wave to get bartenders attention. Should have left then. 25 minutes later , have my drink which I didn't even want by then. One of staff then decided to offer complimentary. By then it was too late to make up for such poor service. The lounge smells of cigarette smoke and unpleasant to sit there anyway.
I only had one full day in Kuala Lumpur so thought would make use of hotel shuttle to Starhill and Pavilion Mall. Leaves 11 am and 1pm. As I was only person going asked me to wait as someone else you may turn up. Waited 20 min .(could have walked there by then) No one else even turned up.
Room was not properly cleaned. Hair tie on floor from previous occupant and hair in the glossy hotel photo book .
I did enjoy Middle Eastern Tapas in Mosaic Restaurant. This was very good and also service. Breakfast time very busy and not relaxing but food OK but not amazing.
Hotel right up next to Twin Towers so if you want a view would be better off with hotel a short distance away.
I also didn't like that toilet has no door. ( inside bathroom)
Turn down service is average. Didn't even close curtains and left a little cardboard cutout fan on bed with a saying on it. Received same saying both nights. (I would prefer a chocolate !)
Some of staff were great but the few bad experiences I had made an unpleasant stay.
I will be trying a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank paigeleaf
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The best hotel in KL and worth the price to stay in the club rooms. Fantastic fresh fruit juice and the best service around. Spectacular roof top pool and walk right across to the mall and the Petronas towers.

Room Tip: Stay on the club floor ... worth the extra
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Its time seasoned and wealthy travelers rebelled. When free wifi is the norm all over the world why do we to tolerate paying for it as an extra. Other than this hotel trying to squeeze that extra bit out of you, they didn't offer to take our bags when we arrived, check in and check out is extremely slow, carpet in rooms ( we had 3 rooms) needs a deep clean as quite grimy and dirty, and bathrooms are small. Noisy door slamming in corridor can be heard all night. No easy ironing plug in the room, and yes breakfast looks amazing but.....
All in all this mandarin oriental hotel isn't as luxurious as others ...so find a newer hotel in KL that includes free wifi and choose that instead.

Room Tip: One that faces the petronas towers , the city view isn't wonderful at all
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kerry K
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The Mandarin does not let me down once again. Arrived after traveling for about 30 hours from the US. Check in was smooth, room was ready, and the bed looked more than comfortable to catch up on sleep. They had even made the bed without feathers, knowing from other Mandarins that my wife is allergic to feathers.

Breakfast was terrific, lots to chose from. You want noodles, they are there. You want pancakes, no problem. Little bit of cheese, it was out. Peanut Butter, you got it. The service is extremely attentive, and the displays are always fresh and clean. Oh, and don't forget the fresh honey, dripping out of the honey comb slide.

The pool staff was great. Setting up chairs, bringing drinks, etc. The pool menu could be a little bit expanded, as the options were not that great.

The spa was great. seems that they spread their appointments apart a little bit, so they can provide a little extra time for your service, and not rush you through.

I'd stay here again, no questions asked, especially with a view of the Towers each night.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

As I generally only stay in club rooms I am quite use to great service. This place however goes above and beyond. So my partner and I were ushered upstairs to the club check in. everything was lovely and we were made to feel very welcome.

they have a large club room and great food as well. oh and the view of the towers from the club room is amazing almost feel that you can touch them.

it wasn't until we were ready to hit the sack after turn down that we realised that this place was full on.

I'm a gay male with partner. I'm 6ft 3 with a large foot and my partner is shorter with a small foot. it seems that upon check in the staff took note of this so when they placed our hotel slippers by our bed at turn down they had slippers to fit him and slippers to fit me. that's pretty terrific in my opinion. I use to work in hotels on front desk so I know when reception is talking the talk but these people walked the walk.

if you don't end up staying here at least go in for a drink and check out the beautiful flowers in the lobby

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Situated right next to the Petronas Towers and the shopping mall below them, the Mandarin Oriental is a superb hotel with fantastic staff, a great spa and fitness centre / pool, but that's just what you'd expect. What about the downsides?

The breakfasts just don't do it for me. They really need to look at them and improve.

The twin tower view rooms would be great if the towers were in the distance, but as they are adjacent buildings all you see are a close up of an office building and a view over a rooftop. Book the park view rooms instead. They're actually cheaper.

However,this is a bit of nitpicking. It's a great hotel and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Go for the park view not the tower view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family