“wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #3 of 340 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
“wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

we stayed here for three days as a stopover on the way down to Australia it wasn't long enough ! every thing about this hotel is excellent from the rooms the food and especially the staff truly a wonderful hotel

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Tony M

I am happy to note that you had a wonderful stay with us and look forward to your return in the near future.

Frank P Stocek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We used the hotel's valet service from the airport. Excellent.
We were checked in, in our room.
Valet assisted by fixing our luggage which was above the service we expected.
Fantastic service! Would stay again

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Jacqui C

It’s great to know that you experienced our 1st class valet service upon your arrival to Kuala Lumpur and had a fantastic stay with us.

We look forward to your return for yet another memorable stay!

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the mandarin a couple of weeks ago. I can say this hotel is the benchmark, the gold standard for business travellers. Set staff are at tentative, professional, respectful, helpful ... I could keep going.

The hotel is extremely well located, next to a very large shopping mall, and a large park area.

The rooms are very comfortable and quiet. Mind you, I did have trouble with the first room I was put in, as the aircon did not work well enough to keep the room as cool as I wanted (I have found it not uncommon that aircon in Asian cities are not set to kg as cold as some would like it), but no problem, I was moved to a better room with no fuss.

The restaurant downstairs is outstanding serving a superb breakfast.

I used the hotel limo service to and from the airport which worked extremely efficiently. If I could make only one criticism, and suggestion for improvement, the driver while getting me to the airport promptly often travelled quite fast, sometimes going 130 in a 80 zone. I don't suggest he was being reckless, it seems that's the speed all the traffic was doing generally that day, but I did feel concerned at times about safety.

All in all another top hotel with outstanding service, that won't leave you disappointed.

Lastly on checkout my car was blocked by about a hundred people descending on the front court and lobby, red carpets and security - why - just a visiting head of state coming to stay a few days. So must be good enough for me!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Melbournetraveller 18

I am delighted that you found our location most convenient and enjoyed your breakfast at Mosaic. Your kind compliments on our staff service will certainly motivate them to the highest level.

I have also noted your comments on our limousine driver service as well as the air conditioning temperature which we will review for improvement, and my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

When they make the movie of my life, the Mandarin Oriental will be seen as my hotel of choice. It was my second visit to this hotel and I can always justify the cost: service levels are beyond excellent, high quality furnishings not just in the rooms but public areas, it's a place where you instantly know you are going to be looked after.

Consider the extra $ for the Club Lounge, but be warned: you won't want to leave the hotel at all if you do. It's not just the practical extras, like unlimited Wifi, complimentary laundry, separate check in/out, discounted spa treatments. It's simply the access and facilities in the lounge on level 24. I spent one rainy day sprawled in comfort and relative privacy on homely sofas, occasionally wandering over for a pot of tea (leaves, not bags, an impressive range), fruit and yes, agonising over which of the morsels of sweet treats to have next. You're left alone to relax, but no-one's far away if you need anything. It is more expensive, but I think it represents good value - just make the most of what the extras offer.

The spa is worth a visit - great products and very attentive professional staff. Allow extra time outside of the official treatment time, they seem to spend more time than allocated.

I'm a raving fan.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 00DW00
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Donna W

Thank you for your lavish praises on our staff service and hotel’s facilities, in particular our Club Lounge which is regularly cited for its ambience and superlative service.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our spa facility and were well taken care of during your stay with us.

We look forward to the pleasure of having you back with us again for another great stay!

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

From the moment I walked in I was treated like a VIP.....even though I'm not. Then the restaurant manager came over and welcomed me.....I think her name is Natasha . Order was taken efficiently and it's obvious the staff know their menu as I was given recommendations which I accepted...and then the steak arrived.....OMG......I've eaten at steak restaurants around the world and this is in my top 3 for sure.....then, Natasha came back and asked me if everything was to my satisfaction.....the beer was too cold and the steak was too tender :) fantastic.....highly recommend it, even if you're staying at another hotel when you visit KL.....come to the grill for dinner.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear Iwantuback

I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal at our Mandarin Grill and appreciate your positive comments towards Natassia who is one of our Star employees!

Thank you for recommending Mandarin Grill to other Tripadvisor members and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in a Club room recently.
The location is great, near KLCC, park and shopping.
We used the hotel pickup and drop off for transfers to the airport, and this worked very well.
The general facilities of the hotel are lovely. The staff were all very helpful (especially the concierge), keen and well trained. No language problems.
Our Club room felt a little cramped. The furnishings were of good quality, but some stains were on the carpet and furniture.
The bathroom was a let down - small, no dividing door to the toilet. Shower quite cramped. We had an early flight out, and we had virtually no hot water at 5am. Towels etc were fine.
Sleep quality was very good, with really comfortable pillows.
The Club lounge is huge, almost impersonal, but otherwise OK.
Wifi is included - well done!
Overall, was OK, but prefer the Cub rooms at The Shangri-La in KL.

Room Tip: The room with a view of Petronas Towers is nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear NorthernWanderer0

Thank you for your kind review and I am glad that you generally enjoyed your recent stay.

I have noted your comments on the cleanliness of the carpet and furniture as well as the hot water supply, areas of which we have addressed to avoid any recurrence.

In addition, I would like to share that we have commenced our guestroom renovation project which will progress until 2016 for a full completion. The bathroom layout is one of the areas which we will review for improvement and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel to experience our new rooms in the near future.

Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

Location - perfect: right next to Petronas Tower and Suria shopping mall.
Customer service - perfect: they remember your name after one contact.
Rooms - perfect: spacious and clean.
Swimming pool - perfect: with great view and flowing water.
Price - perfect: Kuala Lumpur is the best place to book a five star hotel for a price of hostel in Europe or US.
And because it was perfect, we came back - we spent one night here at the beginning of our trip in 2006 and came back for another night 7 years later.
Hopefully we will come back again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mrutkowski
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear mrutkowski

We are most delighted to receive your 100% “perfect” review of our hotel facilities and staff service on TripAdvisor!

We certainly look forward to having you back at our hotel in the not too distant future.
Thank you for choosing to stay at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur.