“I'd give it 6 stars if possible”

Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #4 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Mandarin made our stay in KL fantastic, from airport pickup to dropoff. We opted for the car service from the airport, as we were flying into LCCT, which can be quite a headache at times. I had read questionable reviews about the car service, so wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was fabulous. The attendant was easy to spot and was very efficient, checking us in immediately and arranging for our car to come and pick us up. The car itself was great - cold towels and water were waiting for us upon entering, and there was even a wifi hotspot set up so that we could surf the internet during our 45 min drive.

Regarding the hotel, I cannot say enough great things about it. We chose the "Romantic Rendezvous" package and upon arriving were met curbside with a flower bouquet. We were immediately brought upstairs to our room for an in-room check in and had champagne, fruit, and chocolate waiting for us. The room itself was beautiful - rich, dark wood on the door frames and tables, and we had a view of the petronas towers. The employee who checked us in informed us of the club lounge and also said that we were entitled to a drawn bath and dinner at the downstairs restaurant (Mandarin Grill) as part of our package. We arranged for the bath that evening, and they came in and set up a bubble bath complete with rose petals and oils. It was beautiful! We had our dinner the following night and the food was just lovely. They even set up rose petals at our table. It was very nice and the attention to detail was outstanding.

The pool was awesome. Set on the rooftop of the lower tower, you get beautiful views of the park and surrounding buildings. The staff even brought out complimentary juices to everyone sitting around the pool (kiwi lemonade, etc).

The service at the hotel was top-notch. Every little thing we needed was taken care of, and the staff was extremely friendly. This was my first time staying at the Mandarin after hearing countless positive things from my colleagues. I am so happy that we went and will definitely be staying there again on future trips to KL!

Mandarin, you have won me over - I won't be staying at another hotel in KL as long as you are around!

Room Tip: We chose a high floor with views of the Petronas towers. I'd definitely recommend it!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Devon O

We are elated to receive your very detailed and positive review on this occasion.

It’s rewarding to know that you had a fantastic stay with us and were well taken care of by our colleagues. Your feedback will certainly motivate our colleagues to the highest level.

Thank you for your kind recommendation of our hotel to other TripAdvisor travelers and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back for another memorable stay!

There are newer reviews for Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel in a great location right next to the petronas towers, the city centre and great restaurants and shopping. Rooms overlooking the park probably the nicest, I was facing the other direction but still had ok views. Everything you could need in the room and big bathroom was well stocked. Overall a good stay and staff very friendly and accomodating.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Andysindevon

I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel’s strategic location and overall, had an enjoyable stay with us.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you back to KL.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

This Is always a nice hotel we have been here before.
The staff is really good, and there is a high level of service.
My only complaint is that the first night was spent in a room that was not a 5 star hotel worthy.
There where stains on the floor and on the wall, the bathtub had black hair in it, the toilet kept running and every time you turned on the light there was a high bussing sound.
I complaint to the front desk and the manager told me that my room was one of the rooms they would start renovating very soon.
She then moved us to a suite for the rest of the stay, and I received a written apology and chocolates.
This was all okay and we had a great stay. But I have to say, don’t rent out these rooms when you know they are not okay and in need of a renovation, they are not five star but 3 – 4 star.

Room Tip: A room facing the park
1  Thank Alissa78

Dear Alissa78

I sincerely regret to note of the challenges you had encountered on your first night’s stay and my sincere apologies for the inconvenience of having to move rooms.

Your comments have been shared with our managers for immediate remedial action and I look forward to welcome you back to enjoy our new rooms which will start coming on-line by early 2015.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I am a regular traveller from the UK to Asia and China for business for the last 15 years and KL is one of my favourite places to visit. The MO at the Petronas Towers is by far and away one of my favourite hotels on my travels. I love the simple and immaculate attention to detail, from the check-in at your room, the fresh fruit, efficient Wi Fi and the selection of restaurants. The gym is well equipped and the pool side bar/cafe is the perfect place to grab a beer and a swim after a long day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear MXS45

It is great to be rated as one of your favourite hotels for your travels and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

General Manger

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I didn't stay at the hotel but my sister and her husband stayed there and loved it. I emailed the hotel to see if I could arrange a surprise for my sister's birthday she would be celebrating. They were extremely helpful and accommodating. They sent red roses and chocolate cake and printed off a Happy Birthday card and message!! Very impressed with their service and attention to detail!

Dear jenk7794

Thank you for sharing your kind review and we are glad that your sister and her husband had an enjoyable stay with us. It is always a delight to be able to surprise someone on their birthday!

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming your sister and her husband back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel deserves to be given five stars but I deduct a star for any hotel that charges for Wifi.
This antiquated practice seems to exist only in Asia and Dubai and should be eliminated. WiFi is a 21st Century essential service.
The rooms were well furnished, roomy, good views and of a very high standard. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the Wifi was good (despite not being free)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear icepick48

Thank you very much for your kind compliments on our hotel.

Concerning the provision of complimentary WiFi service, I would like to share that due to the high costs of quality bandwidth in Kuala Lumpur, most hotels charges for WiFi accordingly. Guests who choose to stay on our Club Floors do receive complimentary internet access. On this note, our hotel provides by far, the highest level of bandwidth in the city and once logged in, you may use up to 6 devices on your account. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group has recently launched an initiative in regard to WiFi costs whereby all bookings made via our website are inclusive of free WiFi for all the various packages available on our website.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I have had a wonderful stay at the Mandarin Oriental. From the moment we arrived we were treated very well and nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff. Tania, Lily, Elise alongside all the pool staff were supremely helpful, friendly and made our stay really a very enjoyable experience. We would definitely come back to this hotel for the warm reception, great service and the amazing views of the Petronas Towers too! Very much recommended!!

Room Tip: We had a tower room view and it was definitely worth it!! They're stunning!

Dear Karinl18

It’s great to know that you enjoyed your stay, in particular the Twin Towers view from your room.

I truly appreciate your positive comments on Tania, Lily, Elise and our poolside team which will certainly motivate them to the highest level.

Thank you for your kind recommendation of the hotel to other TripAdvisor travelers and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back to the hotel again soon.