“Good but in need of renovation!”

Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #4 of 350 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The three nights stay in the hotel is enjoyable. The hotel staff is polite and helpful with good command of English. The cleanliness in the room and bathroom is very good even everything is old hotel and need renovation (carpets are not in the best shape, furniture also not very "fit". In addition, the room is cosy but a kind small for a 5 star hotel, and is equipped with all necessary amenities. The buffet style breakfast is great with wide variety of food. Actually is one of the widest breakfast selection I'vv ever seen, covering from the european taste to most of the nations on this planet.
The Club facility are great but there is a stupid rule according to the kids under 12 are not allowed there on the afternoon time so it was not such a great help for us (traveling with 2 children and had 2 Club Rooms reserved).

Room Tip: If possible please chose a room with Petronas Towers view! It looks very nice in the night!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear MDIspas

I sincerely regret to note of your comments on our Club Lounge children’s policy and please accept my sincere apologies for inconvenience caused. Kindly allow me to share that whilst the hotel promotes the exclusivity of our Club Floors for discerning business travelers and we do not encourage young children to our Club Lounge, the hotel has made some exceptions for our loyal guests with their families who wish to enjoy the Mandarin Oriental Club Lounge facilities through the addition of special ‘kids’ room where they can enjoy the snacks of the lounge in a fun environment. My sincere apologies for the negative impression reflected and inconvenience you had encountered.

You would also be pleased to know that we are commencing our guestroom renovation project in early 2015 which will progress until 2016 for a full completion and look forward to welcome you back to enjoy our new rooms which will start coming on-line by mid 2015.

On a brighter note, I am happy to note that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and Club Lounge which is regularly cited for its ambience and superlative service.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming your family back to the hotel in the near future.

Frank P Stocek

Write a ReviewReviews (5,154)

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Always make it a point to stay at this hotel. Excellent service, great location and very comfortable. Right next to KLCC towers. Service level is great. Nice and helpful staff. One of the best places to stay in KL.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear A K

I am delighted to receive your kind praises towards our hotel which will certainly motivate our colleagues in our mission to delight and satisfy our guests.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Me and my partner booked here for just one night before he left to Egypt. What can i say, this is probably one of the best hotel in KL. WE booked for the club executive Mandarin. The check in is very smooth on the 24th floor with drinks offered and smiles on their faces! We are literally being pampered there. The club members comes with free breakfast, lunch, and tea. Even after we checked out we can still hang around their lounge while waiting for our taxi to go t the airport. Our room located on the 25th floor with closer view to the Petronas twin tower. Majestic and amazing experience. You dont get that view everyday dont you. Such an amazing view. I love the room even more. we loved the design of the room and how every small details is given attenton. We even had rambutan ready in our room. The bed is to die for. The room is being clean twice per day or maybe more! LOL. The breakfast we take on the ground floor - Mosaic great choice of breakfast and excellent taste. What a luxurious palace. And ohhhh, do try the grilled resturant by the pool with awesome view of KL skyline.

Room Tip: The higher floor the better
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dublin_IrelandMomo

It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed our luxurious hospitality and in particular, our restaurants, ie Mosaic and Cascade as well as our Club Lounge which is regularly cited for its ambience and superlative service.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel when your travels bring you to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly I should state my bias. I have spent New Years Eve here for the last 7 years as I love the buffet in Mosaic and I can watch the fireworks from the windows.
That being said Mandarin Oriental is a premium brand hotel. Check in is alway quick and the doormen never forget a face. So you are always welcomed back. The public area of the hotel are kept in beautiful condition however the rooms could do with an update as the decor is looking a little tired. The rooms are cosy and comfortable but finding things is a bit of a trick. The hair drier and kettle are not in obvious places. You do always get a good night sleep as the hotel is quiet and the beds are very comfortable.
Breakfast is excellent with lots of choice. There is also a superb afternoon tea in the piano lounge which has stunning views of the gardens just the sort of thing to revive a tired traveller. I make all my friend partake in this ritual. None have been disappointed. The pool area is beautiful with stunning gardens and great service from the pool staff. The location is excellent right next to KLCC and the views from all the windows are amazing. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank ddexter
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear ddexter

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and it is gratifying to note that you enjoyed all your stays with us for the past 7 years. I greatly appreciate your continuous support towards the hotel and your feedback will certainly motivate our colleagues in our mission to completely delight and satisfy our guests.

You would be happy to know that we have commenced our guestroom renovation project which will progress until 2016 for a full completion and look forward to welcome you back to enjoy our new rooms which will start coming on-line by mid 2015.

Once again, thank you for your high recommendation of our hotel to other TripAdvisor travelers and we certainly look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I had planned a birthday weekend getaway and was contemplating a few hotels around the area and then decided with MO since its been years that we wanted to try this hotel out.

The staff had done an exceptional service. Be it the concierge all the way to the front desk.

Our only letdown is the condition of the room. Besides the gorgeous view of the city we had, the deco or something looks kinds old. The facilities provided in the room is good though.

Since it was a birthday weekend trip, my friend had arranged with the front desk to came up at midnight with a cake. It actually came as a surprise to me but thank you to Lily and her other colleague which i didnt get her name.

Despite the dated deco, the staffs there are exceptionally wonderful and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Juhainie

Thank you for choosing to stay at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur and I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay on the special occasion of birthday weekend.

Your positive feedback on our Concierge service and towards Lily as well as our Front Desk team will certainly motivate them in our mission to completely delight and satisfy our guests.

I would also like to share that we have commenced our guestroom renovation project which will progress until 2016 for a full completion and look forward to welcome you back to enjoy our new rooms which will start coming on-line by mid 2015.

I greatly appreciate your kind patronage and look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Whenever I followed my husband to work in KL, we stayed in MO. I've been here almost 10 times for the last 12 month I think. And we always recommend it to our friends and family. This time, my husband and all his crew 8 of them stayed here.
We just love the friendly staff, who always always smile when they see you. And I just love the crew in MOSAIC, Mr Rahman, Mr Hassan and thier crew is beyond awesome. They know what table to get for us, what drink we usually order. It's like Magic.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear QeylaAleeqa

Thank you for your very positive feedback on our staff service and kind recommendation of the hotel to your associates.

It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your stays with us and your compliments towards Rahman, Hassan and our team at Mosaic will certainly motivate them to the highest level.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back to the hotel for yet another enjoyable stay!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Everything is great about this hotel, rooms, food, service etc.

Of particular positive note - it is located adjacent to the Petronas Towers and shopping area - top position.

The only negative is the rooftop swimming area, it is OK but looks quite tired and in need of a full refurb.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WhenMylesandI

Dear WhenMylesandI

I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel’s facilities and strategic location on this occasion.

I have noted your comment on our pool and am pleased to share that the renovation projects for our poolside areas are slated for 2015.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.