“Good, but a few disappointments”

Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #4 of 347 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Lovely hotel and great location. The Sunday champagne buffet is to be recommended, and a great cure for jet lag. The lack of 'free wifi' really is a little short-sighted, particularly given it is widely available in Malaysia, even at the airports, and basic cafés. Perhaps the MO should review their global policy regarding this? Checkout was inefficient (20mins, with a queue of one) with a rather unsupported trainee on at peak time who did her best.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Alice M

I am happy to note that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and would like to apologise for the less than satisfactory check-out experience you had encountered during your stay with us. Kindly rest assured that remedial action has been taken to improve our service level.

As mentioned in previous management responses, I would like to share that due to the high costs of quality bandwidth in Kuala Lumpur, most hotels charges for WiFi accordingly. Guests who choose to stay on our Club Floors do receive complimentary internet access. On this note, our hotel provides by far, the highest level of bandwidth in the city and once logged in, you may use up to 6 devices on your account. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group has recently launched an initiative in regard to WiFi costs whereby all bookings made via our website are inclusive of free WiFi for all the various packages available on our website. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience you had encountered and we will certainly review your kind suggestion.

On a brighter note, I am delighted that your enjoyed our Sunday buffet and truly appreciate your kind patronage. My colleagues and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel for a much more seamless stay, the next time.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Felt very welcome. Staff was great. Facilities wonderful and well kept. Location convenient to anything you could want. Would definitely recommend this hotel for either business or personal travel when in KL.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ScottPhxAZ

Dear ScottPhxAZ

It is awesome to know that you had a superb stay with us and thank you for your kind recommendation of our hotel to other TripAdvisor travelers.

My colleagues and I look forward to welcome you back to the hotel when your travels bring you to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

I'm a regular guest at MO and the hotel staff has shown me genuine care and warmth in my stay there.

Amenities are great. Location is fantastic. Cleanliness, service, responsiveness are all excellent.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Eng Wah T

Dear Eng Wah T

I am truly happy to receive your positive comments towards our staff and to know that you enjoyed your stays with us. Your feedback will certainly motivate our staff in our mission to completely delight and satisfy our guests.

Thank you for your continuous support towards the hotel and I look forward to your return for yet another memorable stay with us.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I dedicated my last night in Kuala Lumpur at Mandarin Oriental, and the choice was terrific. Above all, I had a late night flight departure to Europe: I did have the opportunity of using the hotel amenities at all times after the check-out. Very good. And the position, superb.
Though, I chose a King Twin Towers view and I expected a more spacious room. (room 1514).
A stain: why the wi-fi isn't free of charge ?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear ivaiv

Thank you for choosing to stay at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur.

In reference to the provision of complimentary WiFi service, I would like to share that due to the high costs of quality bandwidth in Kuala Lumpur, most hotels charges for WiFi accordingly. Guests who choose to stay on our Club Floors do receive complimentary internet access. On this note, our hotel provides by far, the highest level of bandwidth in the city and once logged in, you may use up to 6 devices on your account. Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group has recently launched an initiative in regard to WiFi costs whereby all bookings made via our website are inclusive of free WiFi for all the various packages available on our website.

Further, you would be pleased to know that we are commencing our guestroom renovation project in early 2015 which will progress until 2016 for a full completion and look forward to welcome you back to enjoy our new rooms which will start coming on-line by mid 2015.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when your travels bring you to Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

This hotel offers excellent service, the staff are so friendly and helpful. During our stay my wife celebrated a milestone Birthday and the staff organised several surprises throughout the day, much to the delight of my wife. The restaurants are high class, we really enjoyed the Buffet at the Mosaic. The location is one of the best in KL. We will definitely come back and stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Park which enables you to see the coloured water fountain show at nig...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rod_Joanne
Frank S, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Rod_Joanne

I am delighted to note that you had an excellent stay with us and enjoyed our buffet at Mosaic.

Your feedback will certainly motivate our colleagues in our mission to completely delight and satisfy our guests.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel for yet another memorable stay soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Located next to the Petronas Towers, this hotel is in a central location from which to explore KL. The accommodation is comfortable and the staff friendly and offering good and efficient service. The buffet breakfast was extensive. My only complaint was that the air-conditioning was extreme in the public areas.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank srejtt

Dear srejtt

I am happy to note that you had an enjoyable stay with us and enjoyed our buffet at Mosaic. My sincere apologies on the air-conditioning temperature which our Director of Engineering will address accordingly.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

The three nights stay in the hotel is enjoyable. The hotel staff is polite and helpful with good command of English. The cleanliness in the room and bathroom is very good even everything is old hotel and need renovation (carpets are not in the best shape, furniture also not very "fit". In addition, the room is cosy but a kind small for a 5 star hotel, and is equipped with all necessary amenities. The buffet style breakfast is great with wide variety of food. Actually is one of the widest breakfast selection I'vv ever seen, covering from the european taste to most of the nations on this planet.
The Club facility are great but there is a stupid rule according to the kids under 12 are not allowed there on the afternoon time so it was not such a great help for us (traveling with 2 children and had 2 Club Rooms reserved).

Room Tip: If possible please chose a room with Petronas Towers view! It looks very nice in the night!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear MDIspas

I sincerely regret to note of your comments on our Club Lounge children’s policy and please accept my sincere apologies for inconvenience caused. Kindly allow me to share that whilst the hotel promotes the exclusivity of our Club Floors for discerning business travelers and we do not encourage young children to our Club Lounge, the hotel has made some exceptions for our loyal guests with their families who wish to enjoy the Mandarin Oriental Club Lounge facilities through the addition of special ‘kids’ room where they can enjoy the snacks of the lounge in a fun environment. My sincere apologies for the negative impression reflected and inconvenience you had encountered.

You would also be pleased to know that we are commencing our guestroom renovation project in early 2015 which will progress until 2016 for a full completion and look forward to welcome you back to enjoy our new rooms which will start coming on-line by mid 2015.

On a brighter note, I am happy to note that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and Club Lounge which is regularly cited for its ambience and superlative service.

My team and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming your family back to the hotel in the near future.