“Becoming a regular”

Ranked #11 of 342 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Singapore, Singapore
“Becoming a regular”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Staff make a hotel and the ones at the Intercontinental Kuala Lumpur certainly add to this hotel's appeal. All very well trained and very helpful and attentive. You can have the occasional language problem but nothing major. I'll certainly make this a regular hotel for my visits.

The hotel itself is superb (the old Niko hotel), especially if you are given one of the re-furbished rooms (not all have been upgraded yet). A few things might let the hotel down a little.

1. Rooms could be cleaned a bit better, on checking in the glass topped tables still had smears and finger prints and lint and other items on the carpet - nothing major.
2. Really good water pressure in the shower but the sink was blocked.
3. The restaurant prices are VERY high for KL, a glass of wine with lunch, RM72 for something that probably is about that price for a bottle in a bottle shop and a fairly average steak sandwich at around RM90.
4. They do that irksome thing (that may hotels do now), make it YOUR responsibility to remember to put the little card on the bed if you want the sheets changed and be a slob and DON'T hang up your towels if you want them replaced. Why not say "place this card on the bed if you want to help us to be "green" and not change the sheets?
5. They run the air-conditioning way too cold in the public areas! Not necessary and especially if you are promoting your hotel as being green and environmentally friendly.

But overall a great hotel with great staff and one I'd recommend.

Room Tip: As mentioned, try and get a recently upgraded room, apparently there is quite a difference between t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Christopher W, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Rob C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we are very sorry you were unhappy with our guest rooms and prices. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope that you will consider staying with us in the future again. Take care!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 December 2013

It is a very clean hotel, probably that's the only virtue they have. people were not polite but it seems that's the case for all the people in Kuala Lampur. The food was horrible, all the food was Malaysian that was inedible and their idea of international food is pasta - that was full of butter. The service is very strange in all the restaurants, you are expected to use the same fork and knife for all the courses, they put the used cutlery back on the table - maybe on top of your phone if there is no space- to be used again for the next course.

Room Tip: If need a smoking room, mention that while booking.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Omadwar
Dear Omadwar.

We appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel and restaurant. We understand that you were disappointed with the food and service, we have brought your comments to our culinary team and we are also actively reworking our offerings with your recommendations in mind. The next time you are in Kuala Lumpur, we would love to have you come back to see the changes we have made and provide feedback. Thank you once again for your comments.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I really got the Intercon experience during my recent stay ...Front desk was very accommodating by allocating a room even though my booking via OTA was incorrect.. Mr Kogi made it all happen and placed a smile on my face when he said...don worry we will find you a comfortable bed...and by the way we will upgrade you to higher cat room.... At breakfast Jason and Symon Mr Coffee Barrister made my morning as I was leaving asking me if i would like a coffee to Go...

Thank you INTERCON KL...I will be back soon...

1 Thank Silvio R
Dear Silvio R,

Thank you for taking the moment to share with us your wonderful experience here at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur! Your feedback has inspired us to continously go the extra mile for our guests. We will definitely convey the message to Kogi, Jason and Symon. We appreciate your loyalty with our property, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 3 December 2013

For the price you pay, this place has amazingly big rooms, great bathrooms and good service.

The location is good too- very close to KLCC and close to KL Sentral too, if you arrive using the KLIE (train from airport to KL Sentral, the fastest way to reach town from KL airport) and take a taxi (14 Ringitt/ 5USD) to the hotel.

The only thing which hit me initially was the time which took to check me in. Apparently there was some system issue which was taking longer for check ins and I saw the supervisor next to the checkin counter asking people to come to her for check in as well, when the queue increased. But it almost took 20-30 minutes after I arrived for checkin, which is quite unusual. Other than this, the hotel is highly recommended for business trip.

I could not use any other facility of of the hotel (pool/ gym) due to short duration stay but surely would like to be back.

Room Tip: Got an upgrade (two separate queen size beds), as no non-smoking room with King size bed was availab...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Prasanna J
Christopher W, Hotel Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Prasanna J,

We appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. We are very sorry that you were treated with an undesirable level of service. We have addressed these issues with our operations team which has taken this matter seriously. The next time you are in Kuala Lumpur, we would love to have you come back and experience a better level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.

Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed for 1 night in Intercontinental Hotel while in transit back home.

The hotel is located about 15 minutes away by taxi from the KL Sentral Station (where the KLIA expres (airport train) stops.)

The lobby is modern and chic. The check in was smooth and I was acknowledged as an IHG Platinum Elite Member. The room was on the 11th floor. There was a welcome fruit but i never received my welcome gift.

The room was very specious with a super king size bed and a big bathroom. No views in this hotel. I called the concierge and they told me that there used to be a view but it was blocked by a newly constructed building beside it. room service is prompt. excellent service from the staff particularly Calvin the Concierge.

The hotel offers a free shuttle to the petronas towers and to Bukit Bintang Shopping District. overall, i would love to stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: pick the premier rooms at the higher floors. these are newly refurbished rooms and have clean, moder...
Dear Sunkissedguy,

Thank you for taking the moment to share with us your wonderful experience here at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur! Your feedback has inspired us to continuously go the extra mile for our guests. We will definitely convey the message to Calvin. We appreciate your loyalty with our property, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

One of my favorite place to stay in Kuala Lumpur. I've been stay here for many times until get gold member and near to platinum.

The hotel located just beside Ampang Park LRT station, 5 minutes walking-distance to KLCC and KL Hop-on Hop-off city tour bus stop just in front of it. Good thing about near LRT station is I able to arrive at hotel without using taxi from airport or sentral station.

Front-door officer always stand by. Lobby is large with waiting seat for its shuttle. Has 4+ receptionist. Check-in was quick. If I bring luggage and need to have breakfast or dinner in the restaurant, I give it to bell-boy desk then an officer put my luggage in storage room behind it. So, I feel sure it is safe.

Room is spacious with king-size bed and very comfortable. Bathroom is very nice with bath-tub. Its amenities is more than enough (sewing kit is available). Working desk and couch also there. TV channel is just okay.

Breakfast is excellent. My favorite is its coffee and free of nutella. Until now, its coffee still the best from other hotel, and havent found other hotel which offer free nutella as this hotel. Has many options of main course for asian cuisine (malaysia, indonesia, china and india). Fresh fruit and juices also available. Everytime I enter for breakfast, an officer guides me to table. So, I don't need to waste my time finding available table. In-room dining also delicious. My favorite is mee curry, satay, and mee goreng (with seafood).

My concern is since Q3 2013, compliment internet speed is slower than before.

Overall, the hotel is very satisfying and I get more than I had paid.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear ChayAsix,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and your stay in our beautifully furnished and spacious rooms. We are also delighted that you are pleased by the services provided by our wonderful hotel team. This is how it is supposed to be when staying at the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur. We strive to provide each of our guests with authentic and memorable stay experience through our friendly and helpful service team.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Since I stayed at this hotel on March 2012, not so much I can recall about this hotel but the feeling of comfortable. Rooms are spacious and luxury, affordable rate, excellent swimming pool, close enough to subway gate and shopping area, and excellent breakfast. Everything was just great.

Services and hospitality were fine. The in-room dining were various and excellent in taste :)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Dear Putie,

We appreciate the time you took to share with us your experience during your recent stay at the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur. Glad to know the amenities provided in the room made your morning while staying with us! We would be delighted to have you back for your next visit!