“Have dinner at Tatsu”

InterContinental Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #11 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Hotel is located in a nice location. It is a few minutes away from KLCC and hotel offers free shuttle bus services.

Checking in was seamless and pretty fast.

Rooms were standard for Intercon.

Breakfast was good. Nice selection of food.

Japanese restaurant, Tatsu had good food. The salmon (goma abura ponzu) and wagyu beef (wagyu sumiyaki to himaraya no shio) were spot on, a bit pricey though.

The spa was a disappointing. Facility felt old, towels were used (instead of bed sheets) on the massage table and I had to pay separately as I was told that the spa has nothing to do with the hotel (even though my welcome letter included an offer at spa and throughout hotel and room the spa was advertised)!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Nasser F
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Nasser F,

Thank you for staying with us and your compliments on the rooms and dining, especially Tatsu. I regret to read your less than satisfactory experience at the spa and I apologise. Your feedback has been highlighted and the necessary steps to ensure such incidents do not repeat itself has been taken. The next time you are in KL, we hope to welcome you with a much improved experience.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Me, my wife & 1&1/2 year old daughter stayed in InterContinental, Kuala Lumpur for 4 nights and it was a wonderful experience. The check-in & check outs were faster & efficient than any other hotels. The bell boy was helpful. The concierge was friendly and was very useful with a lot of information on things we needed to see or avoid. Our king size bed was nice & comfortable and the rooms were big, clean & nice. Buffet breakfast was the highlight of this hotel, with quite a lavish treat. Jason (dining staff) was a caring & friendly host taking care of all our needs. He made sure our daughter had fresh milk warmed just to her liking. Our overall stay was a great experience especially with our kid. The Petronas Towers are 5 mins walk but if u don't feel like walking the hotel's shuttle bus leaves every hour to Surya KLCC ( just next to Petronas Towers) & Bukit Bintang. Thanks to everyone for making our stay a beautiful one.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Pranay M
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Pranay M,

We would like to thank you for the great review of the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur.

We were all excited to know that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and our friendly staff were able to demonstrate their qualities in a friendly yet professional manner. It is always a treat to know that their hard work paid off and their efforts were recognized. Quite rewarding coming from our valued guests.

We appreciate you sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community and we look forward to welcoming you back soon to our beautiful city.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I am travelling with parent, the hotel room are so nice , lobby area are stunning at night . Concierge has gone extra miles to ensure our stay are memorable. Another comment club service need more improvement and please do not do a mtg with the staff at the counter... Awkward ! especially when the guest was around. Club manager need to improve her customer service if she want the guest to return back .. Special compliment to Azli , Diana and a meera for their hospitality and services.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Sukancic
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Sukancic,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur. We're proud to read that you found our hotel stunning and the staff helpful. We'll ensure Azli and Diana get your review as it would certainly motivate them to do better. Please know that we look forward to a future trip you may take to Kuala Lumpur, and that we would love to be your host hotel when that happens!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights (split into 2). Service, across all of the staff, was excellent: the concierge provided helpful tips on what to see & do in KL, Jason at breakfast provided more tips & was exceptionally helpful and friendly, check-in / check-out was great. The rooms were quiet and comfortable and clean. The location was good, being central. The breakfast buffet was superb, being sure to cater to every taste and culture, with the best of fresh food. I particularly enjoyed the fresh roti and naan and kuih. Food and drinks at OneSixFive and Bentley's Pub were also very good. The atmosphere is grand but still relaxed. So, after my stay I highly recommend the hotel. I'll be back when I return to KL.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Andrea B
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Andrea B,

Thank you for your review! We're delighted to read that you recommend our hotel and that you will be staying with us again the next time you're in KL. Quite certain Jason would be happy to read your review as well, we'll make sure he gets it. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My family of 9 stayed at Intercontinental from 14-17 June. Overall, we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

The hotel staff from the doormen, front desk,housekeeping and restaurant staff were always smiling and were genuinely interested in making us feel welcomed and at home. No request was too small and they would go all out to assist you in any way possible. We've stayed at a number of KL hotels but the service here was the best thus far.

Lobby area was impressive and the kids enjoyed watching the fishes around the seats near the Reception. Location was great- lrt right in front of hotel, 5mins away from 24hr local restaurant Nasi Kandar Pelita, KLCC slightly further down, Avenue K, few minutes away from Aeroline dropoff at Corus Hotel, opposite Ampang Park shopping centre for 24hrs Macdonalds, supermarket and local boutiques. Easy to get cabs from hotel

Rooms were spacious and clean..ample space in the toilet with separate shower cubicle and bathtub. Pillow menu was available and newspaper hung outside the door promptly every morning.

Breakfast spread was superb with good mix of Asian and Western food such as nasi lemak and condiments, Penang char kway tiao..kuih muih, prata, naan, chicken curry, usual omelette and company...fruits, yoghurt, cereals, pastries, different types of breads and cheese, jams....and list goes on...Jason, a restaurant staff would go around chit chatting with guests adding to the personal touch of this lovely hotel..Even the waiters were smiling and cleared the tables briskly on top of asking whether there's anything else they could do for us.My oh my..haven't been impressed with such service anywhere else..on our last morning
Jason even packed a nice bag of croissants and jam for our children to munch on the road trip back. Such a nice gesture and greatly appreciated. We had a great stay and will definitely be back..highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank azdandzik

Dear azdandzik,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and leaving us your detailed review. We're very happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. No doubt your review will be very helpful to future travellers. Again, thank you for your review and see you next time.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was my fifth stay at this hotel and I can only say that they have taken the personal touch to the maximum.

During my stay, the duty manager (Louis) sought me out to greet me personally and asked if there was anything he could do for me. I generally have no special requirements but it is nice to be asked. At breakfast, one of the serving staff, a charming gentleman approached me to offer me coffee tea etc and greeted me by name. I have no idea how he knew it but it is impressive "personalised" service. My check out service had something of a hiccup but nothing serious and I was just mulling over my stay while descending into the MRT station when another gentleman turned around and greeted me, explaining that he was the doorman at the hotel and hoped that I had a pleasant stay; now that's what I call impressive!

Room Tip: Most of the rooms seem very comfortable and quite large. All have separate standing showers.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael T

Dear Michael T,

Thank you for staying with us 5 times! We're proud to read we managed to impress you with our personal touch. In our business, personal touch and genuine care is what makes the difference. We're all eagerly waiting for your 6th stay with us!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was my 3rd time staying at the InterContinental KL and I will stay again.
The things I like the most are the location and staff.

Location:
Located on Jalan Ampang, the hotel is a 5 minute walk to Petronas Towers. Directly opposite is Ampang Park - a big indoor, street market and train station - everything you need from supermarket, chemist, hair dresser, clothes, money exchanger and an amazing food court plus other small eateries. The food court serves at lunchtime and its buzzing with people. RM6 (Aus $2.00) will buy a huge plate of chicken and rice or Nasi Goreng or heaps of Vietnamese spring rolls, also great choices for vegetarians.
The fast train from Ampang Park goes directly to KL Sentral - about 5 minutes and minimal cost.

Staff:
The staff at InterContinental are genuinely nice, friendly and helpful. They will advise of not only touristy things to do but practical things too like where to get inexpensive delicious food, the best money exchanger, how best to get to Bukit Bintang etc… They will happily chat with you at breakfast and share stories.
The swimming pool supervisor Mr Shaharuddin is great. Such a caring and kind person who looks after you wether you are travelling with children or by yourself, he will offer sound advice on where and where not to go in KL and also with a smile and laugh.

Room Tip: I have stayed in 3 different rooms on different levels and they have all been great. When travelli...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank MerrenW
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Merren W,

Thank you for the detailed review! We're certain many readers will find your review very helpful. We have to agree that the hotel is strategically located and just walking distance to shopping complexes, eateries and the underground train station. Mr. Shaharuddin will be happy to know you have mentioned him in your review, we'll make sure he reads this. Thanks again and see you soon!