“Very pleasant, but a little more attention to detail...”

InterContinental Kuala Lumpur
Ranked #10 of 350 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The Intercontinental in KL is as you’d expect - plush, comfortable, easy to get to (opposite the Ampang Park LRT station) and in a good location for the Twin Towers and the Suria Shopping Centre. Staff were very helpful and recognised my IHG status with an upgrade, which is always handy! I really enjoyed my stay (albeit for one night), however the reason I can’t give the full five stars is down to:

- Bedsheets had two sets of visible black (motor oil?!) marks on them
- A garment from the previous occupants had been left in the wardrobe
- One of the bathroom lights was behaving more like a strobe at times
- A used pair of slippers had, I assume, been discarded under the chest of drawers and not removed.

Of course, none of these things had any influence on the quality of my stay, however one would feel that a hotel of this standard should pay a little more attention to detail than was evident. That said, I would still happily visit again and recommend the IC to fellow travellers.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank David W
Write a ReviewReviews (2,759)

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I am in agreement with the other positive reviews. What can I add?
Guest Relations Ambassador Jason Pirabakaran is a real treat. If you want to meet someone who has personally met, greeted and dialogue'd with President Richard Nixon, Nelson Mandela, Margaret Thatcher and other dignitaries, he is here. If you want to be met with the same level of service, you can therefore learn about it here! They are all fun stories if you want to talk to him too.
It's August in KL and I am in heaven with the fresh tropical fruit that's hard to come by in the USA. The bans on durian are well-known. Thanks to Jason, I didn't make any such mistake with bringing mangosteen in from the street markets into my room. Mangosteen stains easy but is otherwise delicious. Jason and executive chef Sam Kung made sure such delights were available at breakfast. What a treat.
The stars must have lined-up strangely and I wound up calling the front desk more in my five days here than I have everywhere else collectively in my lifetime--power adapter, hairdryer issues, clearing out the minibar, asking about printing services, requesting housekeeping, requesting towels, etc. Nothing was a big issue for me, but I must have made it onto their blacklist if they have one. I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear DarthAnonymous,

Thank you for leaving your review here on TripAdvisor and for staying with us. We have certainly not added you to any blacklist, not that we have one! We're here to assist with your every need and we look forward to continuously spoil you on your future stays! Waiting anxiously for your return.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

In KL we stayed for 2 nights and decided to stay at this hotel due to the proximity to KLCC and other close by areas. We drove to Penang and back but on the way back close to the hotel we were stuck in bad traffic so when in KL do not hire a car and use the public transport which is much faster. The hotel is very neat and clean, great location, staff is very helpful as we came back late one day and wanted to order food which they provided us in the restaurant at 12am. we stayed in their deluxe room which is the lowest category but it was a huge room, the bathroom was huge as well. There is no such view from the hotel as it is located where it is. When in KL if you want to save money on the taxi do not use the blue cabs use the red and blue cabs as they are cheaper. Also to the airport if you are more than 2pax then just take a cab instead of the KLIA express as the cost is the same.
Also look at visiting KL during Ramadan time as there are huge sales going on.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank atwin90frames
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear harshsekhsaria,

It's great to read your review on our hotel as well as the tips on what to do and how to get about in Kuala Lumpur. Future guests looking to visit Kuala Lumpur will find your review very helpful. Thank you, hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The InterContinental in Kuala Lumpur is a really good choice for a city trip, since you are close to KLCC, Petronas Towers are in 5 min walking distance, and there is also a station for the public transport (Ampang Park). The rooms are spacious and clean and you fell really comfortable. The amnesties of the hotel are also very nice, the fitness centre is open 24 hours and also the pool area is really good, except for the noise from the aircon. A big benefit of the hotel is the great restaurant Tatsu, really good sushi and great service, there is also a Chinese restaurant, but I haven't been there and a pub in the hotel. The breakfast buffet is also great, it offers a great choice between western breakfast opportunities and Asian. Overall I would say that the hotel is really good choice.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Emma275
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Emma275,

We're glad to read that you found the InterContinental Kuala Lumpur to be a really good choice. It was really satisfying to read your reviews and it gives motivates us to perform even better. The next time your travels bring you to KL, we hope to welcome you again.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights on work. Didn't spend too much time in the hotel (didn't have a breakfast rate) but what little time I did, mainly to sleep, it was great.

I go upgraded to the new Grand Premier room since I am a Platinum member and they even allowed me an early check in as I arrived before 10am. I had written to the central customer care email requesting for this so maybe that helped.

The lady at the check in was really helpful and I got a late check out too. She was very polite and as a platinum member I got two free drinks at the bar too.

The room itself was huge - especially the very large king bed. These rooms have been refurbished - the bed and TV is my guess. Maybe some elements in the bathroom.

Either way, one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in - didn't sleep at all the first day so at night crashed out at 8:30am and awoke the next day at... 9am. That's right. So the bed must have played a key part!

The restaurants looked really nice though a bit on the expensive side I thought even though I didn't have a single meal there. But they had Japanese, Chinese, all-day dining as well as a lobby bar and a 'pub' kind of bar on the first floor.

The other good thing about this hotel is the location. There's a metro line nearby as well as Suria KLCC/Petronas Twin Towers. The latter is a 5-7 min walk so you can get some retail therapy done and get some good food too.

Would definitely stay there even with my family as we could all fit into one of those large king size beds. With space to spare.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new refurbished Grand Premier rooms. Very large king beds and a lot of space.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank vman63
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear vman63,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent business trip to Kuala Lumpur. We're very happy to read you had a comfortable rest. We're disappointed to read you were unable to try any of our outlets, but we do hope that you will pay us a visit in the near future along with your family. Perhaps then you will have more time as we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Been out to KL on business and what better way to relax that staying in a quality hotel.

I can't fault anything from the staff, food and bedrooms.

Imaculate and really sets you up for day.

Fantastic 5 star stay!!!!

James

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear James,

Thank you for staying with us. It was a real pleasure reading your review! We hope to have you back with us again the next time you're in KL for business or leisure!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed for two nights for holiday with my wife, this hotel located around 300-400M from Klcc, obviously walking distance BUT they dont have any room with twin tower view. Room was spacious, clean, luxurious, kings size bed very comfortable, pillow was perfect, bathroom very comfortable, separated bath tub and shower, complete aminities and water pressure was perfect. Swim pool at 6/7 floor facing to CBD, size was okay, didnt try gym etc. breakfast was good, various menu served.
I basically enjoying my time staying in this hotel, everything was nice to me. Will coming back when visiting KL.
Oh they also provide shuttle to Bukit Bintang area and Klcc every around 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Choose higher level for better view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mikhael M
IC_KualaLumpur, General Manager at InterContinental Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Mikhael M,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review on TripAdvisor. I'm glad to read you had a great stay and will be returning to stay with us the next time you are in Kuala Lumpur, hope that would be soon!