“So disappointed”

Ranked #27 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
London
“So disappointed”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This part of our trip was supposed to my treat to myself for my 40th birthday so I booked a club suite. I have never in all the hotels I've stayed in been so disappointed by the standards as I was at this hotel. We arrived having finally negotiated our way from train station to the monorail station. Reception made a fuss about the fact they were putting us in a corner suite and I have to say the views of the Petronas Towers and the Kuala Lumpur Tower by day were amazing but by night were superb. The problem was the suite. I was so tickled by the whole experience when we first walked in. There is a small lobby with a toilet on the left hand side then you walk into the sitting room/study area, then through some double doors into the bedroom. Off the bedroom are a dressing room and the bathroom which had two sinks and two showers. On first sight everything seemed wonderful.

My husband discovered a number of black hairs on the floor by the far side of the bed. We called the operator on first calling nobody answered, I called a minute later explained the problem to the person and they said they would send somebody up. Half an hour later nobody had arrived. My husband then tried calling and nobody answered the phone. As he works in the hotel industry he was extremely annoyed because if someone had been having a medical emergency they would have been left high and dry. So he put on his robe (it was 11.30pm at this point) and went down to reception and asked to speak to the duty manager. They came up very apologetic, my husband had to follow the person with the hoover round the bedroom because they didn't seem to be paying attention to what they were doing.

On going down to breakfast the next morning I was very impressed by the large array of items on offer, my husband was especially delighted by the fact ice-cream and a chocolate fountain were on offer. I really liked the fact they had a juice bar and you could get fresh smoothies and juices. However, the hot breakfast really let this down for me it really was very poor by the standard of the other hotels I've stayed in. The sausages were not nice and I've had far better omelettes elsewhere. I was disenchanted with the whole thing and I found the staff really were not that attentive and the air conditioning had me almost frozen in my seat. The worst part of the breakfast experience was yet to come. On entering the corridor to go to the bathroom the smell of urine the whole way down the corridor to the bathroom was really strong like it was leaking somewhere. The wallpaper fitting in the toilet was not flush to the corners and the seat covers had not been put into the holder properly so were coming out in clumps. We spoke to the manager on duty that day and as way of an apology he offered us a limousine to the airport or dinner for the two of us on the house. Given the issues we had had with the public transport we chose the offer of the complimentary limousine.

That wasn't the end of the issues but at that point my husband told me not to bother to complain again because in his experience people who complained were simply looking to get a free stay out of the hotel so I did not tell them the next litany of issues. It seemed that all the staff had discussed the issue with the lack of hovering in our room and the cleaner kept coming to our door to give us water, to see if things were ok and at one point stopped us in the corridor to state that she had not been the one who cleaned it the previous day but it should now be perfect.
Maybe I was just now hyper alert to everything but I don't believe in a five star hotel that the pencil which is kept with the writing pad should be left for the next guest completely chewed and gnawed, there was a massive chip missing to the bottom of the glass door into the toilet in the bathroom which someone could damage their foot on, quite a number of the large tiles were not flush to the wall and in some places were sticking out half an inch more than those around it. After bumping into the cleaner and hearing her comments my husband checked the two upper shelves in the dressing room to find they were thick with dust. Part of the service for the club suite is for 6 items of clothing to be laundered and ironed. On checking they had not bothered to leave us a laundry bag. When I did get the bag and form I stated that I wanted them to be folded on the form, they came back on hangers and it was the worst ironing job I have ever seen. One of my items was a maxi dress and from half way down to the bottom it had not been ironed and the hem was still folded back on itself in places. If your service isn’t going to be top class don’t bother offering a complimentary laundering service.

I can report on going to breakfast on our last morning the smell from the corridor to the toilets had gone. On checking to see if the manager had put on a complimentary limousine the lady at reception seemed very put out and stated a taxi had been ordered it almost felt like that she changed what had been offered to us on the system from a limousine to a taxi but at that point I just wanted to leave so any form of transport was fine with me and given what my husband had said I was not going to say anything further about our stay.

I do have to state the positives - the club lounge is wonderful and the staff there are really nice, we actually didn't make it out for dinner one night because the nibbles of beef that they had put on were so incredibly tender and moist we just kept going back for more. The cocktails aren't world class but are pleasant. I really liked the pool area as well. One of the highlights of the trip to KL was watching the most amazing thunder storm from our room and it was the view from the room that allowed me to watch that incredible show.

This did not rate as a five star hotel for me and given the amazing treatment we had received in the Berjaya in Langkawi which was not a 5 star hotel it put the Sheraton to shame and frankly put me off using any of their hotels in the future. On doing searches for hotels now I won't even check out what is on offer from the Sheraton brand.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LondonIrishlass
Sheraton_Imperial_KL, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your comments on the overall poor delivery and not meeting expectations. I have personally shared your comprehensive comments with the OPS team to ensure we are more attentive to little things that matters most to our guests. Please be rest assured that we don't compromise on delivering exceptional service.

We hope the isolated incident wont deter you from returning to Sheraton Imperial again when you're in KL. Best Regards, Chuck Abbott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Wi-fi is free at a four star hotel but this you need to pay for it. Also, the pool was closed when I went. Order room service but it was not very good. Service was great and staff were very friendly and helpful in general. Hotel shows its age. I selected a room with twin tower view but you can only see the tips of the towers even at level 35!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travel1800Help
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the service level and associates friendliness. Also, I have taken note on your comments regards to pool, room service and Wi-Fi. We have discussed during the morning briefing to ensure we communicate with guests if there is a pool closure.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Imperial again when you're in KL. Best Regards, Chuck Abbott
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here from 31st July to 4th August. It was our second stay in 9 months and the reception we received was like coming home. The recognition and smiles that lit up on the faces of the staff and the very warm welcome we received were heartwarming. Of special mention are Jacqueline and Lukida in the Club lounge, Nurul at the front office, Ala, front office assistant manager and Taza, the doorman.

Again, the service was impeccable. Two days into our stay, they immediately complied with our request for a late check-out and our key cards were straightaway updated. When we experienced disappointing service in the Essence restaurant on our last day a few hours before our departure from KL and on our giving immediate feedback, amends were made on the spot. We were served a delicious lunch in the Club lounge compliments of Derrick, the Food and Beverage Director.

Another instance of thoughtful and faultless service was a surprise belated birthday celebration organised by Jacqueline. In addition, as a token of appreciation, a cheese platter and a bottle of red wine were delivered to our room on the third day while we were out.

These personal touches and little gestures truly set this hotel apart. So, what can I say about this hotel? Par excellence!

Room Tip: Club room with Twin Towers view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the overall stay experience. We believe in doing the little things from service perspective and personalizing guests experience to ensure you feel like being at home.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Had a big deluxe room over looking the Petronas Twin Towers with spacious bathroom and an additional walking closet cum luggage area. Good location although quite a distant to Bukit Bintang and KLCC, but a quick taxi ride would solve that. Staff were very attentive and helpful trying to sort out my transportation issue even in the very late hours at night. Highly recommendable to anyone visiting KL for business or leisure.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Sheraton_Imperial_KL, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the room size and service level. Alternatively to taxis, you can also use the trains that are available within our hotel location.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Sheraton Rm 3220 from 8-10 Aug. and what can i say? Excellent service, truly a 5-star! All the staff were very attentive, accomodating, and helpful. Our package includes room wifi, laundry&pressing, and access to the club lounge for unlimited cocktails. Now, here comes the best part! The breakfast buffet is awesome!
There's a wide variety of food to choose from. Their fruit counter is my favorite because I can just choose the fruits I want and they can make a fresh fruit juice upfront. Location is great as well coz its just a few minutes away from the Pavillion Mall
(Bukit Bintang Area) and KLCC Mall where the Petronas Twin Towers are located.
Taxi is very cheap and goes by the meter. Although some would asked for a fixed price but you can always negotiate. Taxi drivers weve encountered so far were all easy to talk with. We truly enjoyed our stay! Magnifique!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the friendliness of associates, Sheraton Club benefits and signature breakfast at Essence, .

Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights before our holiday in Bali. We found it convenient for the mono-rail system and although it was slightly dated in parts we still very much enjoyed our stay. The swimming pool is lovely for a refreshing dip after sight-seeing and the public areas are all well maintained. Our room had a fantastic view of the Petronas Towers and we loved looking out at the city skyline at night.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the room and location of the hotel within the train hubs.

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton Imperial in KL for 5 nights in July for an office conference. The service staff were excellent throughout the property - helpful and smiling. Thanks to SPG status they gave me a large room on a high floor overlooking the Petronas Towers which was the highlight. Got some great pictures. Some reviews complained about loud music but I had no problem. Food was generally good as most of my meals were at the buffet. There is enough variety to keep it interesting - and again the kitchen staff were only too happy to please. I was disappointed on seeing the pool which needs a facelift. And generally you could sense that the hotel interiors lacked freshness. The one thing that annoyed me was the food smell from the buffet which greets you as you enter the lobbly, even though the restaurant is on the first floor.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor with views of the Petronas Towers
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel Kuala Lumpur. We appreciate your positive comment about the friendliness of associates and signature breakfast at Essence. For the food smell at lobby, it could have been the take away bakery items and coffee at lobby for early check-out guests or in rush.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Sheraton Imperial again when you're in KL and thanks for participating in our SPG loyalty program. Best Regards, Chuck Abbott