“Still impressive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
sydney, australia
“Still impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed here for the first time in 2009 and my second stay was for three nights in late August, 2013.

Arrival

I arrived via taxi from the KL Sentral station and at the time, the reception area was a little busy. The attitude throughout was very good and the luggage was quickly delivered after I had arrived in my room.

The Deluxe Room

I was booked into a deluxe room, the same category as during my previous stay. The room looked exactly the same in design. There was perhaps just a little bit more wear in the furniture and fittings but it had held up surprisingly well. The design was classical, as expected of a Sheraton. I wouldn’t describe the room as being outdated (as in some previous reviews) but perhaps if the condition had been brand new, then the impression that it was dated would not have really surfaced.

I did not make the booking and was given a connecting room, which I normally don’t prefer owing to the potential for extra noise from the adjoining room and the impression of less privacy. It was fortunate that these concerns didn’t arise during my stay. I found the room to be otherwise reasonably well sound-proofed and didn’t experience any of the noise issues from the nearby bars or pubs.

The living area was as spacious as I’d remembered it and the view was directly out towards the Menara KL Tower and surrounding buildings. There was a separate compartment serving as the wardrobe, luggage storage and safety box area.

The bed was comfortable and clean. The iron was a good quality but the board seemed hard and quite old. The kettle included was a simple unit but more importantly it was clean and unstained.

My room included complimentary internet access but I’m not sure if that was the case for all rooms, as I didn’t make the booking. The hotel’s website still indicates in-room access as being chargeable for deluxe rooms.

The bathroom was again impressive and hadn’t aged too much. The shower was simple but nice and no rainshower was included.

Please note that I have videos of the hotel room, available through the link in my profile section.

Hotel Location and Facilities

The hotel is located near the main tourist and shopping areas such as Bukit Bintang and KLCC. The monorail would be the best option to get to the Bukit Bintang area and the LRT system could be used to get to the KLCC and Ampang areas. At certain peak times such as around noon and in the early evening, vehicular traffic can get busy outside the hotel but the public transportation system would still be convenient although it could be a bit of a squeeze at times.

The lobby and atrium impressed with their sense of space and old-world grandeur. I liked the grand staircase leading up to the other levels from the ground.

I liked the breakfast buffet at the Essence restaurant, it was one of the most comprehensive selections I’ve seen in any hotel and the quality was very good. As I was staying for a meeting, the buffet lunch was also included and again the selection was diverse with perhaps a bias in favour of more spicy foods.

Complimentary copies of the Wall Street Journal could be found on my floor level at the lift foyer.

It was the first time I’d used the conference facilities (named @M) and I found the whole area to be very new, modern and trendy. The Ez@M lounge provided an area for snacks and drinks with comfortable seating while taking breaks from the meetings.

I also had in-room dining for dinner once and again tried the pasta prepared by the Villa Danieli. It again impressed and I’d certainly recommend the restaurant for a meal.

The jacuzzi and sauna facilities now seem a bit tired and that wasn’t how I’d remembered them. The facilities were also quite crowded in the early evening.

The staff associates were friendly and on this visit, I received plenty of friendly greetings while walking around and also when entering and exiting the hotel.

Conclusion

I found the room to be comfortable and spacious, as expected. The common areas mostly appeared as grand as ever. For the purposes of my stay, the conference and meeting facilities definitely were modern and impressive.

NOTE: I have videos of the hotel room and common areas available through the link in my profile section.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank perryw
stephan_sieberg, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear perryw,
Very impressive and detailed review and we all would like to thank you for returning back to Sheraton Imperial after such a long time and your loyalty. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback and we are sure that you will return back in the not so far future to enjoy again our quality and services in combination with our conference facilities @Mflloor.
Greetings from KL and best regards
Stephan Sieberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

I normally stay at the Westin and decided to try this. The hotel isn't in walking distance if many landmarks and taxi is best transport. There's no buzz and I felt there was nobody else in the hotel. It was quiet and the hotel setting was very empty looking. The rooms weren't all that and smelt of damp. The sheraton club is also very average with the same music and restricted time slots to enjoy it. It's a very old fashioned hotel if that's what your looking for, but you do get what you pay for and somehow I feel paying an extra few quid for the Westin might be the better option! 9

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nadeem I
stephan_sieberg, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Slumnod,
We appreciate that you changed your preferred Starwood property and tried the Sheraton Imperial. Thank you for your valuable feedback and we are sorry to hear that we have not managed to impress you and your friends mainly because of location. Yes indeed The Westin is nestled more in the vibrant heart and closer to the nightlife of KL however we sincerely would like to thank you for your loyalty to book within our group.
best regards
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have stayed at Sheraton KL on three trips this year, Staff very efficient, Club Lounge staff have looked after us very well, breakfast, evening cocktails are excellent, essence breakfast is first class so much choice, and staff very good. Look forward to our next stay later October. Hotel central for everything close to transport.

Room Tip: Suites are very large and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank sharon w
Dear sharon w,
Thank you so much for your loyalty and staying with us all the time while visiting KL. Looking forward to be your host again in October and rest assured the entire team will again do their utmost to make your experience a special and memorable one.
best regards and best wishes for a save trip from London to KL already now.
See you in October
best regards
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We've stayed here 2 times…first time for 3 nights and 3 weeks later for a night before our flight. The room is nice and clean, bed really comfortable, pool is also nice and the breakfast buffet is wow ! We've also try the dinner buffet and was also really good. The only things is you have to check your bill before leaving the hotel….they've tried to charge us 60 MYR more than the rate I've reserved on the internet. When I checked out the first time, they said they were going to send me an email and correct the situation….Never saw any refund or email. When we came back, ask the manager and he finally admit that there was a mistake in the rate and offer to refund us…but when ??? So we finally decided to take the refund to pay for a part of the taxi…..I think it's a little bit cheap of them not to pay for the entire taxi…but whatever. On the other side, it' really close from a monorail station (2 minutes walk). Close from here there's also some 7 eleven and one supermarket if you need anything….but a lot of construction everywhere around.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank JulieL753
Dear couple JulieL753,
Please accept our sincere apologies for the overcharging and mistake in the room rate. This definitely should not occur and should have been handled effectively upon arrival already. I will involve myself and talk to the front Office team to improve our customer approach immediately and ensure our focus on details. on the other hand we would like to send a big thank you back to you for all the nice words and compliments especially in regards to our breakfast buffet and dinner arrangements. We hope you had a save trip back to Canada and remain with best regards.
Seremban, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed here with family for a night. Everything was good from Check in right up to Check out. Entire team was courteous and helpful at all times. The only thing I can recommend is to get more personnel when attending to Buffet crowd, be it Breakfast/Dinner. Overall it was a pleasant stay. Good job guys !

Room Tip: Choose a room higher up!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sharmakap
middle east
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Hotel is situated a little out of town but within a minutes walk from the metro line and two stops from the centre. The interior is impressive and fairy grand, check in was easy, the staff helpful and welcoming.
The room was spacious and very comfortable, I felt nicely decorated although the carpets were in need of upgrading. I loved the bathroom, all the usual toiletries, plenty of space and a walk in shower. I loved the walk in wardrobe area.
Food in the hotel is of an excellent standard, a huge breakfast, so much choice and worth paying for.
We upgraded to club level and had use of the lounge. A great service and worth doing, although I didn't particularly like the crowd of children in there one evening, spoilt the relaxing drink due to the noise they were making. I understand that SPG in some hotels have a policy of only allowing children up to 5pm. This isn't the case in this particular hotel.
Pool area is small considering the size of the hotel, but beautifully done and again, lovely food. Spa area isn't anything special unfortunately, in need of modernisation and not an area that I wanted to spend time relaxing in. I would say it was functional.

Room Tip: Up grade to the club service, it's well worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank ThomasPolly
Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

This is my deco for third stay here. For a hotel it's age it holds up well. The rooms are great in size. The club lounge is doesn't have as much of a selection to what I remember for night drink nibblies. I don't eat seafood and it seems to be focused on salmon oysters, and prawn dishes so if this is your thing ...
We ate in the Italian themed restaurant the service was good and food yummy
Also indulged in a well earned massage on a thundery rainy afternoon. Very relaxing. They have daily specials so if you're here's few days you may want to check them out before you book.
Breakfast buffet in lounge is like other hotel clubs, good but nothing to write home about
The breakfast downstairs is better fresh squeezed juices to order - delicious
The hotel is easy to get into bukit bintang from just a couple of stops on the monorail which for a non local is a breeze to use. If taking a cab aim to pay about 15rm into bukit bintang or petaling street market. Don't pay 25! Just tell the cab driver nicely no, 15rm some will refuse but the next one will be happy. The locals are probably paying 5!

• Stayed July 2014