“Bad experience”

Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel
Ranked #25 of 346 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Arrived the hotel on the 28 at 1pm. They said the room is not ready n asked me to wasit 2 hours. N I said I m OK. Back in 3 hours. Rooms still not ready. N told me to wait 5 mins. Waited for 15 mins. They have forgotten about my room. Arranged a room for me. But its a smookin room. Called n asked to change room. They made me wait for 30 mins again with no response.
One of the worst service ever.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Edmund L
stephan_sieberg, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear business traveler Edmund L,
We sincerely would like to apologize for the bad arrival experience and the non availability of rooms upon your arrival at 01:00 p.m. There is no excuse and it is definitely our mistake as the team was not focused and didn't pay attention to details and kept you waiting. This does in no way reflect the usual high level of service we provide and we do hope you will give us a chance again upon a potential next visit to KL to regain trust and convince you about our service quality. Thank you very much for taking the time to bring this issue officially to my attention and I assure you my personal involvement to avoid such shortcoming in the future. Rest assure we all take this feedback very serious and have taken corrective action already.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I'm lying awake here in room 3315, Club Floor, in the middle of a business trip. It's 1145pm and the thumping hard house bass just started 30 mins ago. If last night is anything to go by, this racket will continue until at least 4am. I might add that it's Wednesday, not Friday or Saturday. The only night I could sleep was Monday night when this night club must have been closed. And to reiterate, I'm on the 33rd floor, not the 3rd. Look at the Room Tips below...someone jokes 'book a room above the 38th floor to ensure a good night's sleep'.... They are not wrong there....(please note the building is only 38 floors high).

The hotel doesn't have a nightclub of its own as far as I know, but clearly this venue is in the building somewhere. The walls are shaking with the reverberating bass. It's the noisiest five star hotel room I ever stayed in.

I could accept this if I was in a holiday destination, in a less than five star world renowned brand hotel, or even if it was a weekend. But at a top city business hotel on a premium floor I do NOT expect to put up with this.

I've looked thru the comments and many people have raised this issue. In the management responses they offer 'a quieter room next time' and say they are aware of the issue and 'monitoring the situation'. I saw at least one response from 2012 along these lines and clearly nothing has been done. So, Sheraton, what's your game plan??

Don't tell me that some disco has more influence over the local authorities than a prime piece of property managed by a top international company. I'm not buying that for a second. If the owner of the building, or Starwood, wanted this disco closed I believe that could be done easily. At least get the police to enforce noise regulations.

I'm really unhappy about this because this hotel is otherwise lovely. The rooms are great, and unlike so many other hotels, the temperature and humidity are comfortable. The food is great and the service quite ok (a bit slow but that's normal in Malaysia). It's also in a great location apart from this stupid disco.

Please, management, do something about this. I don't believe this is out of your control.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank tony_newman

Dear tony_newman in Bangkok,
I fully do share your frustration and there is no excuse for the disturbing noise coming from a nearby discotheque. This issue has been addressed already many times and Starwood, Sheraton Imperial and the owning company are involved to solve the problems on certain days. We sincerely apologize and agree that our guests should have a good rest and sleep well during their travel. Thank you for the comment that you described our hotel otherwise as lovely, rooms are great and food is great as well. Rest assured that all parties are constantly working behind the scene to get the noise problem under control and I expect news soon. Many bars and discotheques in the neighborhood have already been closed and only a few remain. I am personally involved and take this problem very serious as of the moment I took of as the new General Manager just in November last year.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed for two nights in this beautiful property. The rooms are wonderful and well maintained. However, difficult to sleep due to the music that resonates the building. Even though I was on 30th floor, all the building seems to vibrate with the bass from the discotheque downstairs. difficult to sleep. the restaurant and the coffee shop are great. Great hotel for a night out but not good a short business stay as sleep is not possible. Two of my colleagues from US who were on 29th floor could not sleep at all.

Room Tip: try taking rooms above 38th floor if you want a restful sleep
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bharatb B
stephan_sieberg, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear business traveler BharatbB,
We really apologize that we have not been able to grant a quiet room to you and your esteemed colleagues attending a conference and fully agree that a good rest is mandatory to focus on the business the next day. On the other hand we are excited about your feedback in regards to our rooms and the hotel in general. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your experience and the compliments for our restaurant and coffee shop.
Hope you will be able to attend another conference at Sheraton Imperial soon and I assuire you our utmost attention the the room allocation.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

I agree with some people that the furniture starts to get old but it is a beautyful hotel.
The rooms are big and you see and feel the luxury. The lobby is huge, the staff is great and helpfull. They have also a huge breakfast buffet with so many choices.
Beautyful swimming pool where you can relax for a while.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear family ptarafin,
Thank you very much for these beautiful feedback and all your positive comments. We are glad that we have been in a position to make your feel like at home, relax and enjoy our culinary offers. best regards and greetings from KL to Europe.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very welcoming staff and personal feel not experienced before at a large hotel. We booked a corner suite on a web deal and luxed it up for a week; this allowed access to the Club Lounge and its amenities which was great for a drink / snack before dinner while admiring the city view. Hotel itself had a grand olde world feel with wide sweeping marble stair cases and character and is located close to MRT if needed. Concierge Gaiyatree was excellent, as was the Assistant Front Office Manager Nixon Chin who should be congratulated for leading his staff in personal customer service. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Floor 35 was quiet in regard to traffic noises. Nightly fireworks due to end of Ramadan celebratio...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
stephan_sieberg, General Manager at Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear couple Selamat-Jalan-24-7,
With great pleasure we received your feedback and I assure you that I will pass on your compliments to all involved who made you feel like at home and created a memorable experience. Thank you that you will consider to stay with us again and we all look forward to again deliver our personalized service to you both.
best regards from KL

Reviewed 23 August 2014

My husband treated me to a birthday surprise and booked this lovely hotel, it was truly an amazing experience, the food in the restaurant was gourmet, and it was halal so that was the icing on the cake, the room was a fabulous size and we were on the 32nd floor which had an amazing view too

Room Tip: I'm sure they will all be great
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Parveen S

Dear Parveen S,
Allow me still to wish you Happy Birthday and all the best. With pleasure we read your very positive comments and feedback and we are happy that you always will remember your birthday stay at Sheraton Imperial. Thank you very much for the high rating of 5 and we hope you will visit KL soon and stay with us again.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have just spent a week at the Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur. Overall, my experience was excellent though there are some areas for improvement.

I'll talk about the not-so-nice experience first before the better bits.

Check in: They should really take care of their SPG Gold and Platinum members. Their counter for such members only had one person though they had a provision for two receptionists. Also, I felt like I was being judged when I sat there - imagine being stared at as if you're not good enough to be served. I had to show him my SPG Platinum card! His attitude quickly shifted to being hospitable after that. Also, the suite I reserved was not yet ready and it was already half-past three in the afternoon. Had I not asked if I could stay in the club lounge whilst waiting for my room, he would have left me waiting at the lobby.

Okay, now on to the better part.

The hotel's absolutely beautiful. It's old, yes. But it has this feeling of grandeur to it. The service, aside from the check in, was excellent. I do have to commend the staff at the Sheraton Club lounge - they're wonderful! Ji Yue and Myra (?), as well as their colleagues, were always available to help out.

Food -- I wasn't able to try their restaurants but judging from the quality of the food at the Sheraton lounge, I'd say it's on the good side.

The suite was excellent. It was very spacious, it even had two toilets. You can tell it's old because of the design and the furniture but it was well kept. The bathroom was excellent, though I think having two showers in one space isn't necessary. There's a walk-in closet too. One comment I'd say is that their king-sized bed is TOO short. I'm only around 6' but my feet were hanging whenever I'm on the bed. I had to sleep diagonally. One problem I had with the room though is that it smelled like someone's body odor (very strong) when I first entered. I had to call for help and they brought an air ionizer. The person who brought the ionizer agreed that the room had some funky smell to it.

I wasn't able to use the pool nor the gym so no review for that.

On another note, my room was supposed to have a nice view of the Petronas towers. Sadly, a building was built in front of the room. Boo. But it's not the hotel's fault. :P

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear jasetiojanco,
Beautiful feedback and thank you very much for this detailed experience report and I personally will look into the "not-so-nice' issues and shortfall of service you mentioned to avoid similar situations in the future. Great that you posted pictures and recommend our hotel to other travelers. Regretfully you didn't use our various restaurants but we are proud that you were very satisfied with our Sheraton Club services and facilities.Rest assured I will inform our two ladies about your compliments. Looking forward to be your host again whenever your travel will bring you back to KL from the Philippines.