“Excellent hotel in KL”

Ranked #29 of 345 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Frisco, Texas
“Excellent hotel in KL”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is an excellent hotel. I love the "heavenly" bed in Westin. This property is well located in the Bukit Bintang area, the shopping hub of KL.
The hotel is looks like a new property. Rooms are also very spacious. Good service.
There are many Indian restaurants in the vicinity.
Good breakfast options with wide variety of vegetarian options.

Room Tip: Higher rooms give a good view of the city. Rooms on the front towards bukit bintang street are also...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SaurabhSharma
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Greetings SaurabhSharma

We thank you for staying with us and taking time to review our hotel - very happy to know you had a great stay.

See you soon.

Hratch Khatchanian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

The buffet breakfast was great. There was a wide selection of choices. The room was clean and spacious. Location is superb with malls in close proximity. I will definitely recommend it for both leisure and business travellers. If you are adventurous, you can walk further to the local food street and pubbing areas. You can always take a cab back if you are lost.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank BKKCS
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Greetings BKKCS

We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel - very happy to know that our guests enjoyed themselves during their stay.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

I've stayed in many hotels and this is one of the poorest, in terms of service. I chose The Westin because of the location and the apparent wonderful service that travellers mentioned in Tripadvisor. However, the only thing that made my stay bearable was the Heavenly Bed that Westin is famous for.

There were already queries I made through the Customer Service Contact in Singapore as the price on the website and quoted through the reservation agent has a slight difference. I was assured that I was given the best available rate. Then, the prepaid amount of the room charges that was charged on my credit card was also different and again, I called to ask. Luckily, I insisted on an email, just in case. True enough, I had problems upon checking out at the Westin KL. The front desk staff, Wahidah wasn't sure on how to handle the issue. I was made to wait for 15 mins even after showing her the email I got from the Customer Service Contact. I was the one who told her to rebate off the charges and attach my email as proof. I had to segregate the charges that I was supposed to pay and the one that was already settled. For a moment, I'm not sure who was the guest and who was the receptionist.

Service throughout the hotel wasn't up to standard as well. Check in staff didn't smile and look stressed with the number of arrivals. He didn't confirm the reservation details or the room that I was booked for. I had to keep asking questions to make sure he got the details right. I called the 'Service Express' and had to wait a while before someone picks up. We spoke to the door man, Farid and he wasn't even paying attention to what we were asking. He was busy playing with his handphone!

We had dinner at the Grand Hyatt and boy, the service from the door man, reception and restaurant was so much better than The Westin. It doesn't matter how old the property is. Service is the one that will keep guests coming back, and sadly, Westin KL has lost it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Asheryne
Greetings Asheryne

First and foremost, we apologize that our explanation regarding the room rate was not explained to you clearly. For all online bookings, only the room rate is charged. Any other incidentals like extra bed, breakfast and internet (if not included in the promotion) will be charged upon checked out. We will re-brief the Front Desk team on this again.

We understand your perception about the hotel has been tarnished but we hope you would give us another opportunity to make amends and let us welcome you back.

Once again, we truly appreciate your feedbacks.

be well

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Had a pleasant two nights stay at Deluxe City View Room, Westin Kuala Lumpur. This is the most basic room category, but everything is just nice.

Extremely strategic location, and situated in the middle of golden triangle. Unbeatable service, staffs greet and smile to you all the time, busy lobby area but check in service is fast and smooth.

My room is overlooking the most happening shopping mall - Pavilion. Spacious room and well-maintained, big lazy chair near to glass window is the best place to lay-back and over-view the bustling nearby area, extremely comfortable king size signature Westin Heavenly Bed, marble bathroom with separate bath tub and stand shower stall, love the White Tea By Westin amenities, and finally variety choice of breakfast: made-to-order French toast, waffle & pancake, egg station, noodle station & etc.

The only shortcoming is the room card issue. Reception or check in counter should be aware I am staying at the same room for continuously two days upon check in. But, end up I’m unable to enter my room with the same room card on the next day. I have to go down to check in counter at lobby again to activate my room card. This is quite annoying for someone carrying heavy handbag. Sadly, I only encounter there is a phone near to lift after return from lobby.

Room Tip: Get higher floor to get better view.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LQuen
HratchKhatchanian, General Manager at The Westin Kuala Lumpur, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Greetings LQuen

We thank you for staying with us recently and very delighted to know you had a great stay.

Regarding the key card issue, please accept our apologies for this. We will resolve this problem with the team.

Once again, thank you and look forward to your return soon.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I was pleasantly surprised to see how warm and welcoming this hotel was. Partially perhaps also because my sister, who checked us in, is an SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest). Even then, the doormen were always nice, and readily offered assistance in the pouring rain. Even telling us to get inside to wait for our friends and looking out for their car plate number.

It made us, both females, feel a lot safer. Especially since they always made sure we got into good taxis- definitely safer while you are in KL.

I did manage to get wifi, but this might also have been because of my sister's preferred status. If I had to pay as I have seen on some other reviews, I don't think I would have been pleased.

But most of the service I encountered was really at the first floor. The receptionists were friendly and helpful. And even helped us pass on parcels to other friends of ours to collect after we left.

The staff at the bar and resto was also good. I had my meals there most of the time and they were friendly. Even alerting me when I was paying, that a certain card would have gotten me a better discount, saving me thirty percent off the bill. The food was also good, though, not exceptional.

What I liked about the rooms was the amount of space we had. Two twin beds felt more than enough. And turndown was always done. The room always felt clean and tidy and well made.

The best part of the hotel undoubtedly is the location. Directly opposite Pavilion, which honestly, had everything one needs from restaurants to branded goods.

This is definitely a sleek, well-run luxe, business hotel. It doesn't scream luxury, but you will definitely fall asleep once your head touches the pillow.

Room Tip: Definitely get a non-smoking room, and find out if you get wifi and breakfast.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Greetings SaraAnnK-sasky

We thank you for staying with us and taking time to review our hotel - very happy to hear you had a great arrival experience.

All of us here look forward to your return whenever you are in Kuala Lumpur.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Great employees at the entrance, reception, room, The Living Room, Concierge and Gym. Room was clean and well made up. Air-con wasn't functioning well, had 2 rooms(2202, 2203) both at 10 degrees and still feeling warm; had to do without quilt. Comfortable bed but would not describe it as heavenly. Buffet breakfast was good. The bakery section was impressive, would be good to have some cakes made available. The cakes were not labeled and kept in the chiller so I guess they were not part of the buffet. Swimming pool water was cold, even on a hot day and pool size a little small. Great gym and trainer.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Greetings ratabreak

We thank you for staying with us recently and appreciate your feedbacks.

Our Engineering team has already checked on the air conditioning temperature in both rooms and there are working well now - we apologize for this.

Meanwhile, good to know our team provided personal, instinctive and renewing experiences.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Our one biggest gripe with Westin KL is the lack of complimentary wifi in the rooms. Being a 5 star hotel with a price to match, complimentary wifi for today's technology savvy traveller is almost an expectation in a 5 star hotel. Instead we were offered wifi in our rooms at a cost of AUD100 for 5 nights (rm300). It boggles the mind that there is an extra charge for this service. We have stayed at JW Mariott (5 star) next door and Park Royale (4 star) and they some how managed to include wifi in their rates.

They offer complimentary wifi in their lobby but we definitely prefer the comfort and privacy of our hotel room to browse the internet. It just feels like a cheap cash grab to charge for in room wifi. Would not stay again on this basis.

Aside from the wifi shenanigans, rooms are a tad dated but staff are friendly. Unfortunately for us, paid in room wifi is a deal breaker.

Room Tip: If wifi in a room is a must. Don't book. If westin is a must, make sure your room rates include...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deeeno
Greetings Deeeno

We thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel.

Please accept our apologies if it was not made clear to you regarding complimentary WiFi. At The Westin Kuala Lumpur, this service is free in all public areas, restaurants & bars and function rooms. However, guest rooms' WiFi and wired connection remain, as most properties in Kuala Lumpur, a paying service. Although we would love to convert this from a non-profit making centre into a free of charge service, we are still at the stage of looking at a viable financial solution to it. Our guests do expect a high quality and consistent broadband service. In this field, the technologies are changing at a very high pace and for a large structure such as our hotel, our hardware, network, software and human resources require an extremely high annual investment, Deeeno, we will continue working in this direction and do hope to come to a solution soon. We hope to seek your understanding here.

On a lighter note, good to know that we have a friendly team.

Once again, we sincerely appreciate your feedbacks and look forward to welcoming you back soon.