“Services were bad, though the room was good”
Review of Swiss-Garden Hotel

Swiss-Garden Hotel
Ranked #68 of 353 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I checked-in early at the hotel, no warm welcome from the receptionist, and they said that the room wasn't ready, though it's ok with me. When I came back to the hotel the room was ready and they gave me the key in the high floor. The room was good, there's bath tub, and there's a shower too. The staffs are really rude, they didn't even helpful, not a standard services for a 4 star hotel. The breakfast was really disappointed, we have to queue for a long time until we can get a table, and the food was really bad, nothing good there. After a few days I stayed in this hotel I finally checked out. I checked out in early morning, again the receptionist was really rude and he even checked out a wrong room! Maybe he's sleepy at that time, who knows? So bad services, bad food, and definitely won't stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank jakboy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,333)

Reviewed 9 July 2011

We stayed at the Swiss Garden Hotel for two nights, as the last stage of a six week holiday to the UK and Russia. Perhaps we were too tired to enjoy KL, although we'd loved the city when we stayed in a different hotel (in the same area, but unavailable this year) for five nights.

I'd chosen the second most expensive of the rooms, on the Internet. We were shocked to be shown a very ordinary room that faced the rear of the hotel, overlooking a building site. The room's main problem was that the windows were faulty and did not close properly. The noise from outside was horrific!

Down I went to reception. Had we been given the grade of room we'd paid for? Yes, according to a staff member.

Back in the room I realised I could not tolerate the noise. Down I went to reception, again. This time a more reasonable person agreed to change the room. We were given a larger room, which faced the street and had permanently fixed windows. Hooray!

Breakfast was OK, but limited by Hallal choices, so did not include any ot the delicious Chinese-style dumplings etc that we love. The restaurant was crowded and a bit messy.

We ate dinners in the small places nearb, and made the most of the hotel's proximity to the huge shopping complexes of Bukit Bintang.

If you choose Swiss Garden, be aware that the photos on its website are really flattering. Perhaps some of the rooms have been upgrqaded, as written in the website, but certainly not all of them. It's not a four star hotel by any means.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nocatnow
Reviewed 9 July 2011

I made an internet booking and they charged me 2 times for the same booking. I checked in on June 16 2011 and stayed for 4 nights. The hotel is broken. Everything is broken, dirty, the carpeting is thread bare. The noise level in the hotel in unbareable. You can not rest there. The staff is very nice. The hotel claims to be a 4.5 star and it is not even a 3 star. I checked out on June 21 and was charged agin. I had to go to the Tourist Police and the Police and a Tribunal to get my money refunded. The hotel is a total rip-off.

Room Tip: Got to another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Cbrazel100
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed here for a few nights end of May/start of June to break up trip to Europe. Liked it so much we stayed again the first weekend in July on the way home and it was very busy and a full house !! Great value for money.

Terrific location, very close to Bukit Bintang region for great shopping options, Jalan Alor for the best variety of street hawker food stalls and reasonably close to Petaling Street/China Town markets.

Hotel very tidy and modern. Rooms great, although did have a smell of tobacco despite being a "non-smoking" hotel. Bathroom perfect and bed super large.

Breakfast was a delight - loads of options with fresh eggs cooked while you wait.

Bar on ground floor very cosy and reasonable prices, pool/spa area also very nice.

I would definitely stay here again - no doubt.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed in a family room for 4 nights with our 2 kids ages 3 & 7. The hotel itself is in a great location, walking distance to China Town and Times Square shopping center. The room itself was clean but dated and could do with reno work. Didn't feel like there was any insulation between the rooms and could pretty much hear our neighbours movements, very annoying at 2am in the morning. The hallway to our room did have an old stale smell. We found that the hot water in the shower very erratic with some of us in the family having luke warm showers.
Breakfast buffet offered a good selection but was extremely busy while we were staying there. Staff were helpful when asked and the complimentary bottled water and broadband on offer in the room was great. Probably wouldn't stay in this hotel again with so many other hotels in KL to try.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We had been to this hotel in July 2010. Its beautiful at the outset, with a great lounge and beautiful rooms.

The room is well-equipped with the basic provisions well-in-place. The sanitary ware though is very faulty. The flush in our room wasnt working at all, with the water being clogged in the basin and bathrrom as well. When we asked the housekeeping department, it took them more than an hour to resolve the problem!

The breakfast though is simply awesome with a whole lot of variety in there. The service and quality of food is also great. Simply loved the breakfast there!

A nice experience staying at this hotel overall!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Stayed at a deluxe room with my wife and kid. Room was spacious and well furbished. Did spot some signs of ageing that others reviewers were talking about (stains on walls, old style furnishing etc) but overall it was ok given that the room is clean.
Lighting in the room needs to be improved though. My kid (6 months old) did not feel at ease with the poor lighting. While the bathroom was well lit, the main area where the bed is was quite dim. Breakfast spread was good but the area seems inadequate to cope with the number of hotel guest but this is not a big issue..
It takes 5 mins to walk to Bukit Bintang so hotel is well located. Nowadays Jalan Pudu is no longer that busy which is good.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family