“Close to shopping”
Review of Federal Hotel

Federal Hotel
Ranked #74 of 348 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stay is pleasant. Location is great, near to great food and shopping. Breakfast can be more exciting, the swimming pool is small. The only downside is the hotel is old, need a refurbishment, other than that a good stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ming sien S

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Upon entering the hotel, my friend and I were greeted by 2 friendly doormen/bellmen wearing Baju Kurung and samping. Not only during our arrival but everytime we stepped in and out of the hotel. We were amazed!

It's located centrally. 7 minutes walk to the train station and 15 - 20 minutes walk to the high end shopping distict (Pavillion etc.)

Breakfast was a spread! Love it! The waiters were efficient to clear our used plates.

Might be staying here again on our next visit!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Its my first time in Federal Hotel. Location is quite good...near to BB plaza..sungai wang plaza and abt 5 mins walk to Pavilion. Central and there are quite a number of eateries nearby.

You need to carry ur luggage up the escalator to the reception counter. A little bit tedious if ur luggage is huge. Would be better also if there is a baby changing room as It was quite inconvinient for me to change my baby diapers at the hotel restroom while waiting for my bus to come.

Room wise..a little smaller than i expected bt it was alright. Clean and tidy. Thgh some comments state dat they do have connectng rooms but for superior rooms..dey do not have such connecting rooms bt the staffs help to choose rooms near to each other. Good room cleaning service. Checkin in was smooth...customer service staffs are very frenly.

We had smoking rooms which is ad de lower level. Thgh we can heard sme musicz dwnstairs...it din really affect our sleep thgh.

Breakfast spread was alright. Althgh it was not a big spread...bt most essential thgs are there. Fried rice..noodles...pancakes...potatoes..porridge. and many more. De sambal and beef rendang were delicious. The otrs are quite tasty as well.

We had...room service for supper. Was quite nice and quite a portion dat i shared with my husband.f i were to go KL again..Federal hotel wld b my choice. No regrets.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank YatiMJ
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Traveled to Bt Bintang on a work trip for 3 nights and it turned out to be the best trip ever to KL. For this Ive got to thank the placement of the hotel as well as the staff who always put on a smile!

Room was old as the booking made entitled us to the old wing but it had everything you want in a 4 star hotel. Food was good and there's plenty of eateries around the area. Party scene at Changkat Bt Bintang is a 7 mins walk and its happening even on a Monday!

The only thing I hated most was the parking! It had no parking lots within the hotel. We have to park our car in the shopping centre next to the hotel, which the hotel absorbs. Car valet was available but at a cost of RM 15 per day. Exceed 1200 hrs and another RM 15 will be charged.

Getting to the hotel can be tricky as traffic builds up around evening. Road works are ongoing at Bt Bintang so try to avoid the traffic and use the light rail.

I will surely stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed here in April with my sister for 5 nights. Check in was not as anticipated as we were told there is nothing available on the higher floors. When we asked if they could double check, they finally said there is availability in the smoking wing on Level 7. First impression of the room-very small, claustrophobic, old smell and a large family were staying next door who were extremely loud and their children ran loose up and down the hallway. The view from the window was of the back of a very run down building - Just not what we expected after a long flight. After a phone call to reception, we were then moved to a lower available floor on Level 4 which was much better. We could see the Berjaya Times Square and the Low Yat shopping mall across the road. Not pool facing but we couldn’t complain.
Pros:
• Beds were surprisingly comfortable and room relatively clean (besides the long hairs all over the bathroom floor which looked like it hadn’t been cleaned but again, we couldn’t really complain!)
• Hotel in a perfect location in the heart of Bukit Bintang. Hotel within walking distance to popular shopping malls, Alor Rd eatery which is a street lined up with all kinds of Asian restaurants (This is a must if you’re into the hustle and bustle of the night life) bars, restaurants, massage parlours and even some markets. 10 minute cab ride to Chinatown and Central markets and a 5 minute cab ride to the Petronas towers and Menara tower
• Breakfast was nice and clean and staff friendly in the restaurant.
Cons:
• Wireless was very weak in our room and we had to stand on one corner of the room for signal!
• Staff need customer service training ASAP. One staff member at reception pretended she didn’t see us walking up to her and kept looking at her computer screen till we said “excuse me” and even then she didn’t tell us to wait a moment.. just kept her head down and when she’d finished, finally acknowledged us.
• Had to have our room keys changed twice as they did not work in the elevator
• Staff in restaurant although friendly, but it was frustrating when they would come to our table every couple of minutes asking if we’d finished so they could clear the table and they would watch us put food in our plates and eat!
• Delaneys Pub in the lower level of the building had music blaring way too loud that even walking past it was uncomfortable so we couldn’t sit there and enjoy a drink!

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room on the higher level as the outside noises can get quite loud and go till all h...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lea B
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed here as a solo female for 5 nights in March. I booked late the night before and was still able to check in early morning, though the double bed I requested was not available. I had the option of waiting for the double or checking in at 10am with two twin beds. I happily took the twins.

I was very happy with the staff and service. The concierge and bellboys at the front were always warm and welcoming. I had to call my bank and the reception staff was very patient and accommodating. My room was on the 7th floor and looked out to another building. I don’t care about view so this didn’t bother me. The building and rooms are a bit older but are well maintained. The room had a safe, iron, ironing board, coffee and tea supplies, full bathtub, and the TV had plenty of English channels. The bed was comfortable and the shower had good pressure. I also had a newspaper at my door each morning. There is a pool, but I never did swim, so I can’t comment, but it did look well maintained.

Though my room did not include breakfast, I did pay for the buffet breakfast one morning. It was expensive, but very good with a lot of variety. The location, right in Bukit Bintang, and right next to BB Park, was fantastic.

Overall, I was very happy with this place. I would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Currently staying here now and have two more nights left (yeyyyy)
Every time someone walks down the corridor you can hear every step and in my room there is not a chance I'm getting any sleep by the sounds of things. Its one am and all I can hear is some drab band, who I don't think are stopping anytime soon. When I say hear, its like I'm sat in the bar they are playing at

I've stayed in party hostels with quieter rooms and better sound proofing

Other than that, rooms and staff are nice but its gonna be hard to enjoy my stay here when I don't get any sleep

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs or Valium, you'll need em
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple