“Disapointed this time.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #76 of 341 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Brisbane
“Disapointed this time.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed at the Federal Hotel 2 years ago and liked so much especially the location, the staff and corner rooms with balcony ,that when I was coming to KL last week with 3 other couples I said we have to stay there again.
What a bad start, the check in staff let the hotel down badly with over 20 mins waiting to be checked in, then when it was my turn the man at reception just walk away stood there for another 5 mins and did not come back, my friends and I had just waited an hour in customs at the airport so we did not need this ,so when I got annoyed about the delay I was told to wait and this upset me as I had recommended this hotel to my friends and I was not happy.
We finally had our room key after a 35 mins wait ,I still like the balcony rooms and the staff in the restaurant were great but during the school holidays the reception staff seem to struggle in looking after all of the visitors who are trying to check in.
The key to getting people to return to a hotel is looking after them at the "front door" first impressions are the most important part from our point of view.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank KathyRBrisbane

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Burleigh Heads, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here for two nights in transit on my way to Sri Lanka. I chose the Federal Hotel for the location (Bukit Bintang) and for the pool area, so this hotel suited me perfectly as the location was perfect and the pool area was lovely with many sunbeds to relax in.

I was aware of the issues with noise, so I rang the hotel a few days before and asked for a room higher up, which they were happy to provide.

The hotel is centrally located. The rooms are quite large and clean. The pool area is lovely, although the pool does close strictly at 7pm.

If you can get a bargain then this hotel is definately worth it. I would happily stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

The walls are thin and noise like opening and closing of doors, conversations or laughter along the corridors and from the room immediately next to ours can be clearly heard especially after midnight. The music from the ground floor can be heard up to past midnight at the 7th floor meerkat room where we stayed. The rates paid for the 3 nights there is not value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Messrs_Chan

Travellers are raving about these Kuala Lumpur hotels

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed at the Federal Hotel for the first time for 7 nights over May/June this year as suggested to do by family AND it's one of the only hotels I could find that offered a balcony in KL.

The lobby and floors are gorgeous in general. Unfortunately I feel for what I had to pay (about $120 AUD per night for a corner room as they have a balcony), was WAY too much for what the rooms were worth. The TV was really small and several metres away from the bed, iron stains on the carpet, the bedside control system (looks like it's from the 60s??) didn't even do anything. The balcony looked like it hadn't been washed in a long time. There was a random rusted soup strainer on the floor?

I understand homosexuality in Malaysia is illegal but the Federal was mentioned as a gay-friendly hotel on a few prominent gay travel guides. As soon as we checked in to a single bed room, I felt the staff went quite odd, didn't seem to look us in the eye for most of the times we went past or went to the desk for assistance. I don't like pointing fingers like that to be honest it felt REALLY obvious that it was because of this as we're not a bunch of screaming stereotypicals and well behaved in general. You know, I may be completely wrong about all of that, but it's just how I felt at the time. Either way oh well, I understand the law.

Other than the few negatives I've mentioned above, had a nice stay and may consider it again in the future if there's any good price deals going on :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bintulu, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I have a very mix feeling when I step in at Federal Hotel KL for the first time last weeks. Being local, its a weird feeling for choosen this hotel among others new hotels in town. Its located in prime area of hussle Bukit Bintang road and established there since 1957. Everything about the past can be seen from every part of the hotel. The room, lobby, deco and staff's uniforms. They are presented themselves with such a sentimental ways in order to harmonise themselselves with a classical style of the hotel..its blended well. The room was very clean although its not perfect when comes to room makeup..they are bit careless. The room size was very large and for family deluxe room, it actually can fit 10 person and you can have 3 rolls at a time. The view from our room was towards back of hotel..to their swimming pool and Berjaya Times Square, a large shopping mall. The room deco are purposely design to remind us of the past..but now they put a flat 40inch tv inside the room. The chanel was a standard, not so rich in variety. The bathroom quite standard also..have a bath tub and shower but toileteries so little for the price we paid. At level 11, we have to wait a little longer for a lift to take us down and up. The receptionist was good and charm but just a little bit cold but still consider polite and well known of our request. The only technical issue we face of about the room air conditioning. For the first 3 night, the coolness was very cold until we can feel it inside our bones. The last night we stay, the aircond feel very warm and we sweat for the whole night. When we report the issue, they sent maintenance guys to fix it. Seem that the aircond beyond repair, the hotel was showing a high degree of professionalism by offering us to move to another room. We just not comfortable to move a big group of people and thereby reject the offer and request for a stand fan which they sent to us in short time. So kudos to Federal hotel for such actions. The bell boy also very nice helping us with luggage and the checkout process was super efficient take less than a minute. Thanks to the check out staff. Overall, I would recommend a first timer to KL to try this hotel then you will know how is the KL history begin. I stay from 8 to 11 june at 1108 room for family vacation.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel is in a great location but it is not a 4 star hotel. Stayed here for two nights in April with the first night a Saturday and the noise from the bar/disco was quite loud but nothing compared to the domestic violence occurring in the room next door. We called security and it did stop but was an awful experience - of course this is not the fault of the hotel at all and gratefully the security did arrive to stop it. The next day we asked to be moved which was accommodated straight away although unfortunately it was to a smoking floor. Did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on that. The doorman and his staff were very friendly and helpful. Would not return as the hotel has a depressing feel to it.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank FrannieMelbourne
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Sure the rooms are dated, sure she probably isn’t the gem she once was and sure the massage place down stairs should not be visited by most people...but that isn’t why you choose Federal. You choose Federal because you want a comfy hotel room right in the middle fo the best street food and people watching South East Asia has to offer. Check-in is a breeze and the taxis at the hotel know right where to take you. The price for this hotel is very reasonable and there is absolutely no good reason to pay for breakfast when you have so many amazing food choices throughout the area. If you are looking for 5 stars please move on. But if you are more interested in location and experiencing KL then look no further.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo