All reviews revolving restaurant bukit bintang kontiki restaurant plaza low yat quiet room street food walking distance berjaya times square central location shopping mall buffet breakfast twin towers merdeka monorail pavilion nightlife doorman
Reviewed 20 June 2018

I was travelling with my husband and two children. We booked a family room with two queen beds. They put us in a room on a smoking level. Both our children have asthma. I went to reception and asked to change to a non smoking floor but they said nothing else was available. I find this very hard to believe considering the size of the hotel. Thankfully we were only there for a couple of nights otherwise our children could have become very sick.

The hotel is in a great location, close to shopping centres and restaurants. The room was clean and the beds comfortable and all bedding was immaculate. We didn't eat any meals at the hotel so can't comment on the restaurants.

Probably will stay elsewhere if we return to Kuala Lumpur again

Room Tip: Request a non smoking floor if you don't smoke
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Excellent location , it is in the downtown of the city. you can go by walk. the night life around the hotel is good. only 30’ walk to the twin towers. it is near the train station.
You can easily find lots restaurants and night clubs and shopping malls around the hotel.

You can find both luxury shopping malls and reasonable ones as well as the restaurants.

The staff are nice and kind.

the breakfast is wonderful and you can find different things that you might like, except the cheese (only two kind of cheese)

Some rooms are on top of the clubs and noisy at night, but some of them are quite and calm. my floor was very cold always!!. but others was normal.

I would definitely go there again If I want to go Malasia again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

Although I have stayed at the Federal several times during the last year in the Merkeda Wing, they appear to be getting overconfident that I will always return.
They offered a large room NOT in the area paid for and whilst it was a nice room, there were many things that did not work (bedside lamps, eletric jug, some switches) and the metal side lights, as well as not working felt dangerously electrified.
The water to the room was quite rusty and it seems that the room had not been used recently.
I asked to be moved to another room and that was done - to a room with no real view.
Also after the first night the newspaper was not delivered.
My booking, for more than a week was made well in advance and although the staff seem to be trying their best something is missing in their delivery at the front desk. It makes it difficult to return.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
TheFederalKL, General Manager at Federal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Dear Michael T,

Greetings from The Federal Hotel Kuala Lumpur,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting your review on Trip Advisor. We apologize very sincerely on the few issue that you have highlighted. Rest assured all issues has been addressed to respective department for better guest experience. Your feedback allows us to make constant improvements to elevate our services to valued guests like you. Once again please accept our most sincere apologies and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Best Regards
The Federal Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Location is great, within walking distance to Bukit Bintang station, a as well as nearby shopping malls such as Plaza Low Yat, Sungei Wang, Lot 10, Pavilion etc.

My twin room size is rather small compared to Johor Bahru hotels, but clean, bed is comfortable. TV has a few cable channels which is a good enough for the evenings. Amenities available - Wifi, air con, water boiler, dryer, safe and fridge. 2 complementary bottles of water per day. What is surprisingly lacking are no slippers, toothbrush & paste and hand towels.

Lift requires hotel key card to access the guest room floors. Dining hall is spacious. Buffet breakfast has wide spread of choices. Overall, this hotel is value for money if you don’t mind some lack of amenities mentioned above.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank LG_Kay
TheFederalKL, General Manager at Federal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Dear LG_Kay,

Best Regards
The Federal Kuala Lumpur

Reviewed 6 June 2018

Accessibility: It is very easy to access the KL monorail and MRT from here via a less than 5 mins walk. Times Square Shopping Mall is similarly a less than 5 mins walk, Plaza Low Yat (Large shopping mall selling I.T. and mobile related products) is just next to the hotel and Sungei Wang shopping mall is also located very close to the hotel. Therefore, after a tiring day of shopping, I do not need to walk very far to return back to my hotel room while carrying all the items that I have bought.

Modern Room Amenities: The hotel itself is considered old (more than 60 years old), but it had undergone refurbishment to look relatively new and classy. The room I stayed in had access to WiFi, flatscreen TV, ironing facilities as well as a table with switches to control the TV, air-conditioning as well as the lights in the room.

Excellent Security: The lift requires hotel guests to insert their room key card into a panel slot in the lift to be able to access the guest room floors of the hotel as a form of security for the hotel guests. There are security guards patrolling in the hotel as well to ensure the security of the hotel and the guests. Hence, I felt quite safe staying at this hotel.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay at this hotel with a lot of friendly and helpful staff. Whenever I go to KL, I would stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank NeoC180
TheFederalKL, General Manager at Federal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Dear Neo C,

Greetings from The Federal Hotel Kuala Lumpur,

Firstly, thank you for staying with The Federal Hotel Kuala Lumpur and we are extremely happy to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us and our standards have met your expectations. We will definitely share your experience with our team members. Thank you once again and we are most certainly looking forward to welcoming you back to The Federal Hotel Kuala Lumpur for another enjoyable stay.

Best Regards,