“Cancel your booking when prices go up”

Hotel China Town Inn
Ranked #110 of 348 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Lived in this hotel in the start of July that was quite good but after this book this hotel through booking com. They tried to get money from my card and cancel booking when not suceeded. Terrible hotel will not live here anymore

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sergey M

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Located in Petaling street.Very close to Pesar sani LRT station, Puduraya bus stand and central market. Staff was very helpful. Good and quiet rooms. Value for money! Hope to stay there again.................!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Hotel China Town Inn is well located. Food, cafe, souvenir, ATM, supermarket all are just a seconds walk. The hotel itself has a decent quality for the budget we had spent. Clean, tidy, toiletteries and towels included. Wifi didn't work well in our room, which is in 2nd floor and the walls are not soundproof enough, we could hear the noise that our neighbor made.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thia R
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 10 nights altogether after having stayed at another budget hotel just up the street. This one was far better even though a little more expensive than the other, but for the extra 14RM, worth it.
Our room had no window, but that's better for sleeping in and didn't bother us. The air conditioning is non adjustable, but wasn't too cold for me and I usually don't like air conditioners too much.
Front counter staff were very friendly and helpful. There are computers to use in the lobby and you're able to have documents printed at reception for a small fee. This is very handy.
Our room was made up every day and toiletries replenished.
A couple of negatives, the TV was tiny with a bad picture. The only hot/cold water dispenser was in the lobby.
The WIFI was good in our room, but I don't know about the rest of the building as there were always guests in the lobby using it.
The location is very good, as it's right in the heart of Chinatown where you can buy almost anything. There is a really good food court just over the street, that has some excellent vegetarian food and other food as well. It's good for lunch or early dinner, don't go too late, it will be closed.
The LRT station Pasar Seni is in the street behind, where you can also get the free GoKL bus.
We are heading back to Kl soon and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tanya H
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I checked out of this hotel early today, thus am reviewing it while memory is very fresh. This is almost your typical low end budget hotel, but the difference is the staff are really friendly, there is a nice lobby with comfortable sofas, computers available for use, and free WIFI that works great in all parts of the hotel including our room that was on the third floor. There is running hot and cold water that worked great with plenty of pressure in the shower. There is also a spray nozzle connected to the toilet. The beds were nothing special, but were fine. Comfortable and not hard as can be found in some Asian hotels.

A couple things that might be of concern to some guests first:

#1. We found a baby house gecko (for those not familiar these are tiny harmless lizards that live in homes) in our room when first arriving. To us this is no big deal. We live in Thailand where even nice homes have these. They are all over the place in some areas. We did not see any bugs and the room was clean, just seen this.

#2. There is maybe 20 or so stairs to walk up to the lobby level. Those with mobility issues would not find this ideal. Once to that level there is a single modern lift for getting to the other levels.

None of those two facts bothered us at all. We absolutely LOVED staying here. The reason why is the location. It is right in the smack of Chinatown in Kuala Lumpur’s most popular street for cheap eating and shopping for fakes, printed t-shirts and other things. There is food of all varieties all over the area. There is even a Nando’s Peri Peri a 3 minute walk away (2 turns: onto safe and popular streets) but TONS of street food. Right across from the hotel (or perhaps just a little to the left and set back slightly) is a food court where a stand at the side of the entrance has an amazing self-serve vegetarian buffet. You still pay for selections individually but is self-serve. I had the amazing mock meat dishes ever, and the total cost for filling up a plate was just 6 ringgit (That’s $1.87 in USD!). For Vegan people this location is a dream, but that’s probably just as true for anyone as again all sorts of cheap delicious street food is right here.

It is not the easiest walk, but it is awalking distance to the KTM Komuter train. I believe it took us about 10 minutes to walk there. From here we were able to easily go see Batu Caves which are right at the last stop and buying a ticket for the KTM is very easy!

Also noteworthy is that when checking in we arrived at a little before 10AM and our room was ready and the Indian women working the desk gave it to us without any mention of it being early. At checkout I asked for them to call a taxi and the Chinese man (whose English is perfect and he mentioned having previously lived many years in New York) working the counter went out of his way to try. The phone taxis all however needed more advanced notice. He suggested getting a taxi from the street out on the main road and offered to go with me to help. I was fine however. I jogged to end of the road, found a taxi at the corner, negotiated an 80 ringgit flat rate to KLIA2 and because walking street was packed told him I’m fine if he just waits here, I’ll be back in 5 minutes with my family and bags. So we dragged bags less than 2 blocks but this worked just fine. The man at the counter again offered to help, he was super friendly, but again I was fine so declined.

I generally when visiting Kuala Lumpur stay in high end hotels. But knowing my wife loves Chinatown I decided to try staying here and was glad with the choice. At the rate for this location this place is great. It won’t be my go to hotel for all trips, but every now and then when wanting to visit Chinatown I plan to book the final night of my Malaysian vacations in this hotel. It is a great way to say good bye the awesome Malaysian food and do some shopping just before heading back. My rating of very good is because I went in with the understanding of what type of hotel this is, and it way exceeded my expectations. Do understand it wouldn’t be ideal for guests of all preferences, but budget in Chinatown this is the place to go.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Jim G
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This Hotel is centrally located in China Town, close to rail, free bus, Market etc, most in walking distance. Lots of eateries in the neighbourhood.
Hotel is great value. Our budget room had no windows with the advantage of being quiet. The disadvantage was that it smelt quite musty, otherwise I'd given it five points.
We chose not airconditioned after reading other reviews. One night the airconditioning was on, and we had to unpack our down sleeping bags to bear the cold, which seems rather ridiculous in a tropical city. On the plus side, the musty smell vanished.
We'd choose it again for location and value.

Room Tip: Inside rooms are okay since quiet, but be prepared with warm bedding if air-conditioned. You really...