“Extremely unhelpful and unfriendly front desk staff! What a shame for Malaysia to have such kind of hospitality staff!”

Ranked #87 of 349 Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I don't mind my room is a bit shabby but it really matters for the shabbly way the staff treated us.
We asked the middle-aged male staff, may be the offier-in-charge I guess, the way to a shopping mall. He simply said "taxi!". I asked " any public transport?" Again he replied unfriendly and impatiently" Taxi". There isn't any other client at the front desk at the moment! In fact there is a monorail station right next to the mall! All they want is to let us get a taxi through their staff. That's the way they treat foreigners.

On the checking out day, I left my fake teeth in the glass in the toilet. The checking out time was 11:30a.m. At1:30p.m., I got back to ask them to help me to see if the housekeeping find my fake teeth. That lady at the front desk spoke to me in Malay!!! From the checking-in evening, she was there and I'm sure she knew where we are from! May be she thought I couldnot speak English! Her manner was extremely unfriendly and indifferent!!!

I felt she was making fun of me!!!!! That's the way the way they treat their customers!!!!

Then she talked to me in Mandarin but would not allow me to go upstairs to my room and have a look. She just replied that the houskeeping didn't found it---and the only thing found was a toothpaste box???? I didnot left such a thing in my room. Did they really try to help me find it?? I doubted......

They are very inconsiderate, unhelpful, unfriendly and impolite. They think nothing about how important the fake teeth to me. It's not a matter of money.
It isn't my first trip to Malaysia. They are nightmare to me.
Will visit Malaysia again?? They are discouraging me to do so!!

Room Tip: There isn't non-smoking floor!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kyl20142014
HotelRoyalKL, General Manager at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Kyl20142014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the city.

I write to let you know that we have addressed the issues highlighted with the department head concerned. Please be assured that these misgivings are not the norms and were certainly unintentional. We wish to also assure you that remedial measures have been taken, in order to avoid future recurrence of similar incident. Nevertheless, I appreciate your comments on our shortcomings, as these will be another learning experience for our staffs to better themselves.

Once again, I extend my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

The room was clean and a very good size. Bed extremely comfortable. Wifi works well in the room. Hotel is well located for accessing local shopping mall (and cheap local food in the basement of the shopping centre) and for the hop-on-hop-off tourist bus.

There were a number of issues: the water in my shower never really got hot and on 20th floor the pressure wasn't great. The breakfast was basic. The gym and steam room / sauna is currently up available due to refurb and I was not aware of that at the time of booking as this was a reason for booking the hotel. Finally, I was unimpressed by the service I received when requesting assistance from the concierge in determining what to see in the city. They did redeem themselves later in the stay by locating a USB charger for me.

A good hotel which could be so much better if they attend to some of the small detail. If you are looking for a comfortable bed for a short stay in KL you could do a lot worse than the Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur.

2  Thank David T
Reviewed 25 May 2014

The Location is excellent you couldn't ask for better, the service was very average nothing done with a smile, front desk and concierge really needs work, valet parker took nearly 30 mins to get my car, however it is good value for money, the food was not good, i recommend you eat outside the hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank azmat7
HotelRoyalKL, General Manager at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Mr Azmat

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the city.

We write to let you know that we greatly appreciate your comments on the hotel’s location/ facilities/ service level. These comments will be an encouraging factor that will drive us further to continue working towards a higher and impeccable standard.

The issues highlighted have been addressed with the department heads concerned. Nevertheless, I appreciate your comments on our shortcomings, as these will provide a learning experience for our staffs to better themselves.

Once again, I extend my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I check in twice here in Hotel Royal. 1st time check in, no greet or eye contact from 1 plum chinese lady working midnight shift on 18th May. Second check in for my relatives on 19th, no greet also eye contact from reception, Hakimi. You pass your identity card and booking reservation and thats it. No question or information from reception staff. Its like they dont care. I requested non smoking room but still given the smoking room. Too tired to argue. Seem like they never train their staff for their service. I choose this just because of its location.

Please please please train your staff! This is visit Malaysia year after all. Really embarrass by this kind of attitude!
I got to know there's another hotel called DORSETT HOTEL nearby with same rate but more better service, bigger room. Next time better stay there.

Room Tip: Choose DORSETT HOTEL for better service. Near Starhill & Pavilion Shopping Mall.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rOd1411

Dear Rod1411

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the city.

We write to let you know that the issues highlighted have been addressed with the department head concerned. Please have our assurance that these misgivings are not the norms and were certainly unintentional. I wish to assure you that remedial measures have been taken, in order to avoid future recurrence of similar incident. Nevertheless, I appreciate your comments on our shortcomings, as these will provide another learning experience for our staffs to better themselves.

Once again, I extend my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel is opposite the low hat plaza, near restaurants, night bars and a short walk from the town square markets. The service from the staff was excellent however the rooms were noisy. You can hear tv's from the rooms either side, bands playing out on the street (from the 11th floor) and people moving in the corridors. I did approach the staff about the noise coming from the street and they quickly moved me to an internal room (no view of the city), but I was able to sleep. Breakfast was good, chef makes greats eggs upon request and fresh brewed coffee. A word for non-smokers, there are only a couple of non-smoking floors, make sure you request upon booking.

2  Thank Matts_Adventures
HotelRoyalKL, General Manager at Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Mr Matts

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the city.

We write to let you know that we greatly appreciate your positive comments on the hotel’s location/ facilities/service level. In addition to our gratitude, your comments will be an encouraging factor that will drive us further to continue working towards a higher and impeccable standard.

Finally, should you be making any future plans to visit Kuala Lumpur again, we will be delighted to be of service to you once again.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed there on 11th & 12th of May 2014. I was there early, nearly 12noon, when over to check if my room is available to check in. The front desk personnel by the named of En.Mahadzir was a bit unfriendly at first. He asked me if I just booked the room today with a very stiff tone. I told him no, I booked it on 7th May 2014 and gave him the confirmation no and my name. Then he recall my booking and say yes, I can check in now and began to have a friendly conversation with me. I booked the 'Executive Deluxe' room and I got the newly renovated room on 19th floor. The room is ok for us (My hubby & my 2 daughters age 7 & 1+) they gave us a king bed. I'm not sure if they have 2 double bed room. I did not ask and they did say anything. My Hubby & my two kids is just there in front of them.

We love the room and my kids love the spinning chair so much. The bath room, the shower and the heater is also owsome. There's nothing to fault about the new room.

It's near to everything, if you wanna shop. The breakfast is not bad, but can improve further. The rest of the staff in the coffee shop, the parking service and the door uncle is very very friendly and helpful. I ordered the room service once (Spaghetti Bolognese & Cucur udang) it taste terrible!

Overall it is a great place to stay for the location and I will stay there again....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NazirahAli786

Dear Ms Nazirah

Warmest Greetings from Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur !

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the city.

The issues highlighted have been addressed with the department head concerned. We would like to assure you that these misgivings were not the norms and were certainly unintentional. Remedial measures have been taken in order to avoid future recurrence of similar incident. Nevertheless, I appreciate your comments on our shortcomings as this will be another learning experience for our staffs to better themselves.

Once again I extend my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused and look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I was luck enough to get a newly refurbished room on the 5th level. Bed was really comfortable. Bathroom was wonderful and the shower was to die for, spacious with rainforest shower as well as handheld shower. Good wifi. I will stay here again when I'm back in September. Location is really central with the best shopping malls an easy walk, some Malls a few minutes walk. Right Bukit Bintang monorail..I do recommend this hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Try and get refurbished rooms.
1  Thank JohnnyGoldcoast

Dear Mr Johnny

Warmest Greetings from Hotel Royal Kuala Lumpur !

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to the city.

We write to let you know that we greatly appreciate your positive comments on the hotel’s location/ facilities/ service level. In addition to our gratitude, your comments will be an encouraging factor that will drive us further to continue working towards a higher and impeccable standard.